Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford 3 window Coupe..What to do?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Had the same with the 46- stock looking with a SBC- later 3-speed- 9 inch Ford diff- I checked over the work done and decided to keep the mechanics as bought- cleaned up the rest- some chrome and bodywork- drove a while then put in a stock interior- unless I open the hood most think it is stock-

2. I have a great solution........sell the old girl to me....... luxury problem solved

3. Leakie

Leakie

Put a price on it...

4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

5. Leakie

Leakie

2345.coupe and Fordgasser1 like this.
  6. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I changed the wheels on it for a little rubber rake. amparts 011.JPG

8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I think the boards and fenders are coming off next. amparts 012.JPG

9. adam401

adam401

The steel wheels look awesome!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  10. Just DRIVE !!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  11. mike bowling

mike bowling

George, I like the look WITH the fenders and boards- EVERYONE takes the F'ing things OFF! Paint 'em black and call it a day. Steel wheels look pissah.
    If ya gotta take something off, get rid of those exhaust tips and the "plow guides" on the front!
    Hood back on , and drive it! (At least its a 283, not a 350 snoozer).

12. I seriously would leave the fenders on that car.

Just some straightening out work is all that car needs. Cleaning up the wiring, maybe some homemade aluminum door panels, etc.

Once you get the stance dialed in that car will come alive. I want the see it with the front bumper about 3" off the ground.

kidcampbell71 and Fordgasser1 like this.
  13. charlierogers

charlierogers

I think it would be meaner looking with the fenders/boards off. but it still looks bad ass the way it is! tough decision, cant go wrong either way! awesome car
    Charlie,,,

Fordgasser1 and Runnin shine like this.
  14. i would put a paint job on it, an interior with handles, bore the motor 40 over and get some 289 cu in emblems and keep the hood closed.;):cool:

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Fenders on, nose down, go!

mike bowling and Fordgasser1 like this.
  16. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

The good thing about having the fenders and boards is having them to take off and put back on at will...it's not to hard to make the change when you own the set....I'm a fan of the fendered hotrods just as well as the fenderless hotrods, I'd just keep em' and run it how you see fit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. exterminator

exterminator

Like the fenders also!

18. teejay99

teejay99

A guy in my area bought one about 10 years ago , apparently similar shape to yours . He did a frame off , installed a later flattie ( I think 48 Merc ) and he and his wife and a few of his friends worked on it to get it like the following pics . It's probably my fav rod in our area .

DSCN0340.JPG DSCN0341.JPG

19. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Id keep the fenders, maybe paint fenders black, lower front. Just curious What is in the back window?

Fordgasser1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Ask yourself what you're going to use the car for, bombing around town or long distance highway miles. I doubt you'd beat a sbc/5 speed combo for serious leg work.
    Flathead's, well you can't beat the look or sound, but, I know any long drives in my roadster it plays in the back of my mind. Just something to think about, oh and leave the fenders, unchopped, model 40's need fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordgasser1 and rat bastad like this.
  21. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I would definitely ditch the belly button smallblock and modern 5 speed.
    I would find a late flathead with a 3 speed overdrive. Hook the gearbox to a 40 column shift for old school coo , lower itl and drive it. Effectively you have a five speed with the o/d.
    It doesn't have to go fast to be cool or fun.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Fordgasser1 and alchemy like this.
  23. exterminator

exterminator

I love how someone who wants your car asks you to tell them what you payed for the car and that you should only make 5-10% profit. I have had people try to tell me that and I never tell them.Also these are the same people that try to low buck you on the price and then turn around and sell it for the high price.I liked how you handled it. Good job Ford Gasser!

24. Let me see if I understand the dilemma. The car has a 283 but its not slow enough for ya so you want to upgrade it to a flathead. :rolleyes:

I don't see why you would have to do a frame swap to go back in with a flatty, just change the motor mounts and stuff the flathead in there. Same with the brakes, you can unbolt the disc brakes and put drum brakes on it if you like, although it may be difficult to go back to mechanicals, but that could be done as well if you wanted to do so. To go frame swap is like a 20 dollar solution to a 10 cent problem.

25. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

Great ride. And a lot of solid suggestions in this thread. My 2 cent opinion is to drive as is and look for what you want and flip it when that car becomes available. Unless you have a nostalgic connection to this particular car...
    Not that we do any of this or what other people think, but if I walked by the car in a show and it had the 283 or a SBC in it, I'd hardly break stride. A flathead, hemi, or some other unique early motor in it and I'm all over it.
    I've got a 34 3w, finished car, with a similar dilemma. It was done with a Mustang 2 IFS and it bugs the hell out of me. Also needs a chop. It's a beautiful car so I hate to tear it down....do I change it up or flip it for something closer to what I like? Tough call.

waxhead, Fordgasser1 and aussie57wag like this.
  26. rollinsixes

rollinsixes

I hear ya on the sbc...but it is about as traditional as an overhead valve engine can get....traditionally speaking

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  27. Damn Hotrodders!!!!! never happy with anything you have,,,Feel that way about your wife too?

28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I'm not married, never had that problem!

Fordgasser1 and wbrw32 like this.
  29. Pull the fenders, stab in the blown Ardun, chop the hell out of it, and proceed to prowl the streets with no regard for noise and your rear tires. While your at it, it might need a quickie out back just top it off on the bad ass chart.

30. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Its a WWII landing strip light made into a 3rd brakelight..I'll post a pic.. Kinda Ratrod so Its coming off..