Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods If you could pick a TRUCK that epitomizes the word "Hot Rod" what one TRUCK fits that bill?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 12, 2017.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple guys, "legends" in my childhood, that hung around Dad's welding shop had hot rod trucks. One day they "met" in the alley going opposite ways, front bumper to front bumper. I was too young to know what each had done to their trucks but they were loud hot rods trucks like most of that type had back then. One was a Ford, the other a Chevy, both short box step sides in the 50s. I was maybe 7 years old. As was the way their smart ass antics were refusal to move for the other so they (you guessed it) nailed it bumper to bumper and started a push fest. 1st it was John, then Dick, then John again, then Dick, then John for the last time, and Dick decided to let it all hang out. Smoke filled the whole block, it went on for a long time in my young kid view, the reality probably being just over a full minute. The Ford eventually "pushed" the Chevy out of his way but it wasn't easy for either of them. I guess I had "lessons" early on as I'd done something similar to buddy with a 460 Ford against a 318 Dodge 4X4 in the mid 90s. Cheatin bastard was in 4WD and he still had to earn it hardcore. He almost lost!

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. @porknbeaner
    That's an old pic. I've added stainless Guide headlights last year.
    The orange indicators are now gone, they are on top of h lights now.
    Here's a pic of what the body looked like before it's rebirth, not sure if it was a Coupe, I thought possibly Sedan.
    Thanks for the compliment, I've always thought your old truck looked tuff, guess due to most pics were always at the drag strip. IMG_20160313_141836.jpg IMG_20160429_193855.jpg

barrnone50 and JOYFLEA like this.
  3. I really like that one! I always see it at the Harrington, DE show.

100_5289 (Large).JPG 100_0114 (Medium) (2).JPG

4. I was pushing your leg on the lights. ;)

My C-10 was just an old truck. One of probably half a dozen or so C-10s I have owned in the last 40 or so years. It landed on the strip once a year and was a hauler the rest of the time. I did enjoy going stoplight to stoplight when I had a chance. :D

I like the lines on your old hooptie. Its different in a same sort of a way.

Down your way you could find a Plymouth truck, they had really good lines and are nearly non-existent up this way. I have seen a few done up real nice and almost all of them imported from below the equator.

[​IMG]

5. :

I did wonder bout that, since I had mentioned several times over last few years about swapping out my lights.
    Down here, we call it, pulling your leg :D

That Plymouth looks great, although I can't recall seeing any about here.
    Maybe they all went back north.:)

porknbeaner likes this.
  6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Pushing your leg is pure Louisiana, it pulling your leg up here too.

Maybe the Plymouths are mostly across the Tasman Sea. Seems like the most of them that I have seen came from down under. (I wonder if the south pacific is down under is we are up over :confused:) Almost all of them have also been turned into a gasser style pickup too. Although I have seen a couple of stockers.

I can't speak for everyone but I have a tendency to lump New Zealand and Australia into one basket. The bad thing about that is that I know better. :oops:

8. I'll keep my eye open for 30s Plymouth Pickups now.

I was reading the other day, about how some American servicemen, in WW2, thought NZ was inhabited by savages......
    But I'm getting way off topic. :D

To kinda get back on track, I'm currently tracking a story re a Kiwi serviceman who was an aircraft mechanic in Guam, in WW2.
    He brought home Spitfire engine surplus parts after the war, and put a Spitfire engine, in a Bedford truck.
    This was in the South Island, in late forties, early fifties.
    It had a parachute for brakes, and could be heard all over the county.:eek:

9. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

For me, the discussion ends here. The Littleman pick up is perfect in my eyes and almost makes me wish i wasnt 6'1 and 250 lbs so I could fit in it.

Now I am surprised that nobody (that I could see anyhow) has thrown up a pikky of the A La Kart Model A that Barris built, even tho it doesnt do it for me.

porknbeaner and mad mikey like this.
  10. ^^^ Todd, If you still fit in your bucket, you could fit in an A Pickup.
    Might not be A lot of room for much else, but there's always jogging, and weight watchers....jk :D
    Swap that bucket body out for an A Pickup.....;)

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

For me, it's my GMC 302 powered '37 Chevy Utility Express build by fellow HAMBER, Tony Pascarella "Truckedup".

[​IMG]

12. Well it is a truck and 250 lbs is nothing even for an A pickup. :D

its funny I am getting real short, into the 5'9"-5'10"range and there are still a few older models that seem a little cramped to me. Maybe if I had smaller feet.

@kiwijeff if you find that spitfire powered beast you at the very least have to show it to us. That would be worth braving the savages to see. ;)

Jet96 and kiwijeff like this.
  13. @porknbeaner I would have to do a thread on it, If I can get enough info.
    It would be a crime not to :cool:

14. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Problem is Jeff that Im the worlds tallest dwarf.

So T Rex length arms and legs and a body that when I sit in a car, the top of my head is 39 inches above my bum. I did climb into Gollywog Adams A pickup once but I not sure I could travel far in it.

Still I would look real cool in a fenderless late 20s pickup and there is this blown 540 BBC engine and a race glide on the floor of my shed here in Chch. Enough to make a man think about a new project.

15. i376856.jpg
    Let me guess. John boy hot rodding around with the daddy Walton's truck?
    Cool truck to say the least.

barrnone50 and Dean Lowe like this.
  16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

17. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

39 Willys ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1485356719.116758.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

swade41, exterminator and elgringo71 like this.
  18. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

19. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

This one always did the trick for me. It's why I've got a thing for Phone booths.

20. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

DSCN4409_zps7ec0b84a.jpg danny.jpg These do a little something for me as well....
    3dnsouths' Gold beauty & one I've seen somewhere before.

barrnone50, exterminator and patmanta like this.
  21. I don't know who's this is but I dig it ! downloadfile-2.jpeg downloadfile-3.jpeg

22. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

My Hot Rod truck, Can't haul much in it two lawn chair's and that's about it.:):) hot rod aireal view 002.JPG

23. Burny

Burny

24. 31 steve

31 steve

Nothing like a RPU! my rpu 01.JPG

barrnone50 likes this.
  25. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Weesner Inspired....

26. Spent a whole Summer living in the back of a 35 P/U with an Olds and a stance just like this one, Killer!
    [​IMG]

waxhead, akoutlaw, 40FORDPU and 8 others like this.