Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Crab style distributor on a 53 Merc. flatty

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HankAz, Jan 27, 2017.

1. HankAz

HankAz

Can I put a crab style distributor on a 53 Mercury 8BA and what is needed to change it? Just like the look.

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I think you have to change the cam and timing cover, there is an adapter to use the later distributor on the earlier flathead. Don't think it would be worth the trouble.

LOU WELLS and wbrw32 like this.
  3. Same as above,,,,,,too much work and money involved to make it worthwhile

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Simple and do-able if engine is up for rebuild, a hard weekend of thrashing and lots of parts money if doing a running motor. Lots of benefits, of course, and a big part of aesthetics if engine is going into an early rod. Pete the cam guy can convert late cam if you have a cam you are attached to but of course all the work remains the same.
    Also, if engine is apart, you are set up for an easy full conversion for pre-48 look so engine looks hotrod/racer rather than custom.

5. christmas tree

christmas tree

Who is Pete the cam guy?

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Old and experienced racer, cam grinder, guru. I'll have to search a bit here or on Barn to get exact handle..."Pete" isn't all of it.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

bct likes this.
  8. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Convert a SBC HEI to fit flathead . You would end up with the best of two worlds. May not be as pretty, but would preform better.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, he said crab cap not crap cap. :D

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OR, you could have a marine SBC Mallory distributor converted to use on your flathead. Some of them have "crab caps" (not a complete distributor, though).

11. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

The heads water outlets would still tell a guy that its a late model engine.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

That too, can be changed. ;)

13. trucker1

trucker1

I've done it. Change to earlier cam, 41 style gear cover and earlier style aluminum gear that changes direction of thrust that is more desirable for some reason. Mallory has a good dual point crab distributor or electronic one. You can put earlier heads on by plugging some holes in the block and heads. Flathead re-build books explain which ones. You can drill and tap the 5 or 6 additional holes to use earlier intake manifold as well.

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

15. Yes you can You will need an early cam or have pete convert the late cam. The early cams don't have a gear on the distributor side like a late one does. You will need to change both the timing gear and crank gear to the early style. And the timing cover. The cam thrust on 49-53 engines push towards the timing cover. On 32-48 the cam thrust is towards the engine block. Still use the 49-53 oil pump. Hope that awnsers your question.

16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Ditto on thrust direction... buddy went mallory electronic but 6 VOLT... wouldn't start hot... something about initial amperage at re-start... L-head rebuilder Walter had a distributer machine and set up the old dual points unit for him...
    bingo !

17. HankAz

HankAz

Thanks everyone. Kicking it around and also thinking of using the older style heads but keep hearing you have to plug some of the water passage ways. Anyone have any info on that. I don't see it listed anywhere either.
    Thanks Hank

18. 53 effie

53 effie

I've been told one the reasons to do this is make it easier to have a later (49-53) flathead in a '33 or 34. The late distributor presents many issues that the "crab" distributor down in front helps with. Along with the earlier (pre-49) style heads. I'm considering doing the same when I get to building my '34.

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Bingo on the water ports, but you only need plug one... under the pass side flange that anchors your distributer hold down on 8ba heads, 59ab's don't have/need the flange...
    memory says it needs a .333" plug, i used brass... installs easier if you freeze the pin first [it contracts].
    also the 59ab's center dump water outlets are now beside the carb and cause a little linkage interference with a single carb.... didn't run thermostats, ran washers with 5/8" holes as restrictors

20. trucker1

trucker1

You can see the passenger side hole to plug in the block when you lay the heads on just forward of that head. There's another in the head to plug, but I forget which one. Anyone?

21. trucker1

trucker1

I tapped them for a 1/8" pipe plugs.

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The main hole you plug up top communicates only with the pump bypass. if I remember correctly. With the crab on there, you can switch to early pumps ('37-48) and pulley with fan on generator and get more real hotrod look plus a shorter engine in total...then plug the holes left in front of block same way as top. Which won't actually need a plug anymore.