Register now to get rid of these ads!

Country Classic Cars Staunton Illinois

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimbob, Feb 23, 2012.

1. low merc51

low merc51

BEWARE !!!!!I have been there and most all the cars are over priced JUNK !!!!!!JUNK!!!!JUNK!!!!!!

Scott A Stout likes this.
  2. Oh, Russel Noel... His rep precedes him...

3. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I ran across this old posting, and thought the owners of Country Classic Cars deserved a repost...

4. MoparNerd

MoparNerd

Hey, would you still be interested in taking a look at a car at Country Classics? They've got a '69 Plymouth Barracuda in lime green.

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Sure, but I can save us both some time and money.....

Its not worth whatever they are asking for it. I've made 5 trips down there so far and none, not one, in fact nothing on that lot is worth what they are asking. My best guess is that 80% of the vehicles on the lot are worth about half of what they are asking, the rest are worth less than that.

Nobody that I have gone down there for has ended up buying anything. I'm sure the only reason they are still afloat is folks on the interweb falling in love and buying without having someone go look at the car before they purchase it and then being to ashamed to admit how bad they got took.

If you're still interested drop me a PM.

Eventually they are going to remember who I am and not let me back on the lot......

6. ahshoe

ahshoe

Been there to look at a couple cars for people as we are not too far from there.Junk is the word and cover up is their game. They make their money by screwing internet customers that DO NOT look at them. Local folks and the rest of us that has been there know this. And last time I went it was more like $3 to cruise thru they rust pile.They are masters at taking just the right picture to miss the rust. And I mean RUST.

7. I've been there a few times over the years to look at their cars. Many have signs on the window that say things like,'' Nice paint good interior''. I think the signs are for a different car 'cause paint and interior are horrible. They have a terrible reputation around St. Louis. People laugh about them whenever their name comes up. IMO

Old Rod likes this.
  8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Do your self a favor and forgt this place and any wrecks they are selling.

9. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I bought a '58 Ford Custom 300 two door sedan from them a few years ago. I took the salesman's word that it ran great and had no rust which was a mistake. He told me it was from Texas but when the title got here before the car and it was a Minnesota title I started to get a little worried. When the car arrived it was loaded with bondo and the engine had a rod knock so I knew I had screwed up big time. I called them and asked for the salesman that I had spoken to before but they said he didn't work there anymore. When I tried to tell the woman how disappointed I was with them she hung up on me. Like everyone else has said, they are a bunch of dishonest jerkoffs so don't take their word for anything.

Also, when I put the car on a tow dolly and tried to pull it into Louisville to get the engine looked at I discovered the hard way that a dinky little '83 Ranger is not a good tow vehicle. It started swaying back and forth as soon as I got on the freeway and then the Ranger rolled over onto the driver's side, then back on its wheels and it ended up on the passenger side when it finally stopped. The '58 was still on its wheels but the Ranger was a real mess. I ended up selling both of them in the next couple of months. I replaced the '58 with a '62 T-Bird that I bought locally and had a lot better luck with. They say you learn from your mistakes so I guess I should be a genius by now.... :D

ournew62t-bird-7-11-04 027.jpg

10. gatz

gatz

I've visited the Country Classic site numerous times and got halfway interested in a few of the moderately-priced vehicles. Glad to have read this thread and the others posted by zman

Maybe an insignificant detail, but I've noticed when perusing their site, ( IDK if it's the Firefox browser or what) but you can't get off the site without opening a new browser tab......the back arrow doesn't take you back....you get stuck on their site.
    Might be their lame attempt to keep a person on their page.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Nice place to visit. LOL

gggholson likes this.
  12. I see them heavily advertised on the Hemmings site. Most of the cars do LOOK good, creative photography I'm sure. I am 1 for 1 in buying cars sight unseen. Figure I'll quit while I'm ahead.

13. Scott A Stout

Scott A Stout

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Scott A Stout

Scott A Stout

Country Classic Cars - Put them out of business!!
    Be advised more complaints have been filed with Illinois Office of Attorney General and more people intend to do the same. Here are a few statements Michael Merchant <;;;;;;;;[email protected]> Thu, Feb 20, 6:27 PM (5 days ago) to me You contacted me through Yelp asking about my experience with Country Classic Cars. My experience was not as bad as yours, but not good nevertheless. The car I bought, a 1975 AMC Matador, was advertised to be very nice and a good driver. I was able to see many many pictures of the car, many close ups, so was pretty sure about body issues, especially rust. I spoke with the salesperson repeatedly. I specifically asked about rust and was told that the only problem was the exhaust which might need replacement. I was told that the car was otherwise ready to drive. (Oddly enough, I have not had to replace the exhaust or muffler.....yet anyway. Read on.....) I have had to do thousands of dollars of repairs. Some were things I just wanted done, but the majority were things that had to be done. Upon arrival the car had a run down battery. The reason for this was that the brake lights would not turn off. The required solution was a new power brake booster.....not cheap. I suppose I was lucky that the car did not in fact have bad body rust issues......for the most part. The rear bumpers of these cars are notoriously poorly designed and even well maintained ones have problems with the rear bumper, hence replacements are very had to find. My car had a thoroughly rusted rear bumper such that I had to find a replacement (luckily I did find a decent example 100 miles from home). There was also body rust along the lower rear edge of the body adjacent to the rear bumper and there was a dent in the rear of the car. These body items were not mentioned. All have been repaired at considerable expense. The hood had been touched up with paint that did not match the original color. So I had the entire hood repainted. The radiator leaked and had to be restored. The gas tank was full of gunk and had to be removed and resealed, successfully thank goodness. The entire front end was rusty and the car drove terribly and made all sorts of strange noises. Everything had to be replaced.....bushings, shocks, tie rods, etc. It now drives very nicely. The front seat upholstery looked pretty good but was nearly worn through. The seat has been reupholstered with correct fabric. There were mistakes I made......namely not having someone go over the car or going to visit it myself before I bought it. But still Country Classics did gloss over these shortcomings. I suspect they might not of even known about many of them. I get the feeling this car sat in their warehouse for a long time and their goal was to simply unload it on the first sucker they could find. Unlike you, my outcome, after a lot of money, was good. I have had the car for almost two years and now it seems to be just as I had hoped it would be. After my considerable investment I am very pleased with the car. However I would love to see you succeed with nailing these guys. I'd love to hear how things go for you with the attorney general. For the price I paid the car should have been pristine. I was a sucker who got duped. Michael Merchant Michael Merchant Feb 22, 2020, 3:17 PM (3 days ago) to me Thank you for your response and the link to the Illinois Attorney General. I have filed a complaint and have forwarded to them all my receipts. OMG I hadn't realized how much the total was until I put them all together. Like you I doubt I'll realize any monies, but it would be nice if it happens. At least we might be able to contribute to the downfall of Country Classics. Michael

15. Scott A Stout

Scott A Stout

16. Scott A Stout

Scott A Stout

17. A company called "The Last Detail" in Chicago had the most beautiful original 4 dr Hudson on the planet for sale recently.

A guy named Tom owns the place and was a real stand up guy in my dealings on a 63 split window I recently bought
    Sent from my SM-F900U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Scott A Stout

Scott A Stout

19. Scott A Stout

Scott A Stout

Multiple complaints filed with Illinois Attorney General. Several dozens of people posted comments about being scammed and ripped off. They recently deleted their Facebook profile to hide evidence.

20. Scott A Stout

Scott A Stout

Multiple complaints filed with Illinois Attorney General. Several dozens of people posted comments about being scammed and ripped off. They recently deleted their Facebook profile to hide evidence.

21. Scott A Stout

Scott A Stout

22. Johnnya101

Johnnya101

Any updates on these guys? I see a news article from this year saying new owners took over.

23. I've driven by it a lot lately, but haven't stopped. Nothing I'm really interested in. Sure has a lot of inventory though.