Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs ???? MYSTERY MERC ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austinrod, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

This is how I would like it too look with caps and all
    [​IMG]

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

like a Chevy? :D
    So, have you bought it yet? I hope you do and have fun with it.

3. Looks like '52 DeSoto

4. This car looks like my 53 Packard. Except his roof I dont know what he did there:confused:

5. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

^^^^Man, I am loving that color! ;)

6. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Not yet need too sell one of my hot rods first

7. Squablow

Squablow

Pretty sure the bumper is a '52 DeSoto as Sancho said. I have a '52 DeSoto bumper and brackets that could be used, they're kinda rare and prized by custom Merc guys. And it's HAMB member "themoose" who did the photoshop work, he's very talented.

I'm sure he'd be willing to do another photoshop for you with the bumper in place but with the old headlight treatment and a different grille, depending on what you have in mind. There's a big Photoshop thread where you can post requests to.

I think the headlights could look OK as-is if you made the right changes elsewhere. Caps, ditching the mirrors, and bumpers are really key, and leaving the headlight treatment will make things much easier since the paint would all remain intact. Grille has been swapped out before so no harm done there either. Different seats would definitely help.

This car could be really great with the right owner and the right changes, even if not everyone here can see it. I hope you can get it, and for a price where it's worth the effort.

Austinrod likes this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just because such a car has "been around" that's not automatic street cred. Maybe a famed builder or painter "touched it", but still no creds. Style, build quality, taste (which is truly subjective), all have to blend into a gourmet serving of class and respect for tradition. There's a dozen decent ideas on the car. Maybe more (or less!), but added all together it's hard on the eyes. I don't mean to inflict my taste or ideals into someone's personal thinking or view, and while there's that "...no rules..." thing about rods and customs, well sorry there are a few. Breaking them with success is a fleeting task and you better be damn good at what you do. Sadly my professional opinion is that it looks like these folks were not. As said, old Cadillac seats which were probably cheap. Lets put thousands of hours in weird and wild body work but add some used car seats. Lets get a steering wheel because it's "on sale" in the catalog. Where else was it cheaped out? All red flags, and I'll disclose that I looked at this thing a 1/2 dozen times before I decided to reply, hoping maybe my 1st impression would relax a little. Well, sorry it didn't but I thought I'd temper my outlook on it the best I could. If you dig it beyond all get out I'm sorry if this is offensive. Finally, the price? P.M. me if you're interested in a possible option for a lot less.

falcongeorge and lurker mick like this.
  9. Baldies

Baldies

That headlight treatment is the most distracting thing about this car. I think changing them back would be major. There was a lot of work done to make them look that bad.

The37Kid likes this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think my favorite part is the ugly mirrors and goofy spots that together put a big obstacle in the corners of the windshield. if I were a cop I'd give him a ticket for having an obstructed view. if a person could get a ticket for bad taste that one would be 3 points of your driving record:confused:

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I remember "Alley Oop" from back in the day. Hard to remember where I seen it but it was more than once. I always loved that car.

12. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Found some more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from iPad

stanlow69 and Sancho like this.
  13. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

More