Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cramped work space, what do you do in the least amount of space.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Early Ironman, Jan 20, 2017.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

When I started to build my T bucket I had an 8x8 shed. I 'upgraded' a while later to a 10x20 shed. Now I have a big garage...22x24 up ft and 16x20 out back.

Capt Chap likes this.
  2. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I love your setup and your killer projects. I have a Maxjax portable two post lift. One of those things I can't believe I went so long without having. My overhead space is very limited. But I can work with what I have. Am able to at least get a body up high enough to roll a chassis under it.[​IMG]
    Plus be able to roll around under it on a creaper without any jack stands in the way. Put a piece of plywood with a hinge on top of it. So I can adjust the angle for different heights. Works really well!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, biggeorge and ct1932ford like this.
  3. Some of the replies here make me jealous! ...I've got a single port car garage with a cat litter tray in it for my work space, Living the high life!

bobss396, clunker and Capt Chap like this.
  4. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I hear ya,
    But your young yet. Everything will come in time young Padawan.
    At your age I was working out of an apartment complex storage unit. Wish I had some pix of just how cramped that was.
    Right now I have a pleasant amount of space. But two projects going that consume a lot of it.
    Once I finish and sell the 47. Life will be much better!

5. I used to try to rent apartments that had a garage included... but they didn't want you working on cars in it. That's no fun. It was a huge step on the evolution scale to get a big garage... one that I could run a welder in too.

Capt Chap likes this.
  6. CBurne7

CBurne7

I am very fortunate to have a work space in Baltimore. I'm renting an apartment + garage separately on a single income, so I'm thankful for my wife allowing to budget this in. This garage is old. Like, super old. Early-1900's old.

I had a fun surprise last week when I found out my landlord defaulted on her mortgage, so the house was taken over by the bank. Out I go. Found another garage a 10 minute drive away for almost twice the rent, but... that's just the way it goes. At least it's slightly larger.

Picture of old garage:

[​IMG]

[![garage.jpg](https://s30.postimg.org/opsoymwdd/garage.jpg)](https://postimg.org/image/ddg3gunod/)

7. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Your very fortunate indeed in Baltimore. A friend of mine lives there. He didn't even have a driveway!
    Had to park by the curb and his truck was stolen twice.

8. CBurne7

CBurne7

Yeah that's pretty common. People had broken into the vacant house that this garage is attached to and stripped it of scrap metal. This past summer some people were messing with the garage door and kicked one of the wooden panels in and spray painted on the outside brick wall of the garage.

I was working on my car late one night and I heard someone walk up to the garage door with a bicycle, stop, try to open the garage door, then shuffle around. I grabbed my tire iron and snuck around the side of the garage to confront him. It ended up being some drunk guy stumbling around looking to get into trouble. I took him off guard and scared the bajeebus out of him.

There's a fair amount of entitled rich kids in this neighborhood who think their "street" because they grew up in Baltimore. I've never had an issue with people from the actual ghetto, just a few blocks away. Usually their super stoked to see my car and we get into lengthy conversations. Questions I get most are, "Yo! Watchu got in there?! 440?" or "Did you just lower that joint!? Dope as f***!". I had one guy chastise me for texting at a red stoplight. He told me, "You killin' the cool by textin in that car, brotha!". hahahaha

clunker, Montana1 and Capt Chap like this.
  9. When the @raven and I shoved the motor in the Pusher my garage was 24x10. We backed it in and set the motor with the garage door open. Before we were done we had ice sickles hanging off the cherry picker. Then we closed the door and stared working, I still remember him going from the passenger side to the driver side, he would open the door to the kitchen and say, "I'm going in!!!" then dive under the truck and come out on the other side. :eek: :D :D

LOU WELLS, biggeorge and Capt Chap like this.
  10. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

That is hilarious!
    I don't have any young punks in my neighborhood fortunately. But the kids do love to see my old rides.
    Have taught a couple more f them a thing or two. If they are interested, I'm happy to pass it on!

The Ghetto is a few miles away. When I need to go there to an auto parts store. I usually get looked at but not in a comfortable manner.

11. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Had a one car garage years ago,always full to the gills. Stuck a small block in an ot Datsun p/u with a hooker swap kit. Built the whole thing in the driveway in front of the house. When it was time to narrow the frame for the narrowed rear I just unbolted the bed and flipped it over into the yard. I'm sure everyone in the neighborhood LOVED me. Wife makes sure wherever we live has an HOA now. Ha Ha. Oh well.......

Capt Chap and fourspeedwagon like this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That blueprint has "car guy" written all over it.:D

Capt Chap likes this.
  13. Took some negotiations with the missus but I was able to capture the family room next to the garage for my stuff. Freed up space in my single car garage.
    garage1_15_1.jpg 34home2.jpg

14. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Check out tiny house nation. They have great storage ideas for small spaces..........

Capt Chap likes this.
  15. Growing up we had a "garage" that was a dirt floor basement- ceiling joists must've been about 5'11" cause Dad would forget and walk in there. He was 6' even...
    I have a clear memory of my brother and I hanging a Ford 200 six from a branch on an old burl tree. Out for overhaul, backed the pickup in and lowered it into the bed.
    I'm only reminiscing though, I'm lucky enough to have found an old farmhouse that nobody would buy- came with 10,000 sqft of shop. Realtor told me she could've sold the house 50 times except nobody could figure out what to do with that much garage! Told her "no problem, I know what to do with it"

garages are like gun safes - no matter how big it ain't big enough

Capt Chap and williebill like this.
  16. DHeep

DHeep

I blame some of my build delay to the limited space I have. Lol

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS and Capt Chap like this.
  17. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Thanks!
    Spending half my life living and working on a boat made me learn how to utilize space too.

18. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I find myself putting tools away and organizing while I am working. When my space gets cluttered, I can't stand it. So Cleaning up and getting what I need at the time helps me keep my sanity.

Montana1 likes this.
  19. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

So, did you manage to fill 10,000 sq feet?
    I would love to see it!

20. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

This sir is exactly the kind of thing I like to see. Everyone posting their projects in a single car garage. Not just sitting there, but making progress.

Plus thank your wife from all of us fellow car guys. For supporting your hobby by giving up space in the home. It makes a huge difference having a wife who understands. I'm also fortunate enough to have a wife like that.

brad2v likes this.
  21. For better or worse- I have pretty well filled my space.
    Seems like I remember hearing that goldfish will grow into whatever tank you put him in. Call me Goldie.
    15 years ago I used to dump the clutch and spin a couple donuts in the shop - might find a spot to do that with a mini bike now

Can't wait until it warms up a bit and I can organize. There'll be plenty of room as soon as I get Pops' junque incorporated. Lots of pickup loads to save all that good rust that my brother would've probably scrapped.

Capt Chap likes this.
  22. I'm with you on clutter. When I couldn't find anything anymore, we always said, "It's time to regroup!" Then we'd clean up and start all over again. :D

Capt Chap likes this.
  23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had to really down size my garage space years ago , it was at the end of cell block 15 , huge garage with every tool you ever needed only problem is someone always wanted free labor . Then after a hard days work I went back to my house , what a cramped space ! There was always a buddy that wanted sleep over , no fun ! Really , sometimes I go to a run and you see the guy unloading his mega buck , trailer queen from his enclosed trailer , and I get to asking myself is he really having fun ? For me it is make the best of the space you have and enjoy the hobby with your buds , having the meg buck ride and stuff , may not be all it is cracked up to be . Everyday is a gift , enjoy it and the gifts you were given , it could always be a lot worse .

trollst and Capt Chap like this.
  24. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I got married, my wife and I rented an apartment with a small garage that me car wouldn't fit in. About 3 months after we were married, we bought a side by side duplex that didn't have a garage. There wasn't room for a garage, and even if there was, the hoses were so close together, you would never get a car between the houses.
    Since I was a motor head, I worked on cars on the street, in front of my house. We had a 10' x 6' enclosed back porch where I kept my tool box and put all the stuff I took off of cars. After a couple of years, I was able to rent some garages, yep, several of them, usually for about 6 months each, one at a time. My buddies and I ran a dirt track car, and we needed a place to part and work on the car. I continued to work on my stuff on the street in front of my house. e lived there for 7 years. As the time passed, I was able to rent larger garages for longer periods of time.

Our 2nd house was in the country, with a 26 x 36 garage and an big chunk of ground, I was in fat city! When we moved into town, I had to downsize big time. Then I opened my welding shop and rented a 40' x 60' building. Room to spare! About 4 years later, I had to downsize again (utilities were 2x the rent!)
    Currently, I have a 24'x 30' shop with an 8' ceiling. and a storage garage with a 7' ceiling that is under the shop. With the welding equipment in the shop, I have basically a 1 stall work area, changing a motor requires at least the motor and cherry picker going out the garage door. In a small space, you learn to keep everything cleaned up and organized. I have a lot of stuff sitting outside, but it needs to be appearing pretty organized or I get unwanted visitors, or concerned customers. Gene

brad2v and Capt Chap like this.
  25. triman62

triman62

Working in a one bay space at my work, doing a 4door to 2 door conversion. IMG_0522.jpg

brad2v, LOU WELLS and Capt Chap like this.
  26. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Man,
    I just checked out your thread. Amazing work in an extremely tight space!
    This is the stuff I like to see.

triman62 likes this.
  27. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

20'x20' back yard shop is enough for one car lined with white peg board hearted and air conditioned

Attached Files:

28. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Very classy

29. Turquoisewelder

Turquoisewelder

12'x26' carport building. I'm fortunate to have a 16'x30' slab in front of it that that I can work off of when the weather permits. I fabbed up some brackets that allows me to hang a 20' sun sail about 8' of the ground to keep the sun off my back. [​IMG]

brad2v, LOU WELLS, biggeorge and 2 others like this.
  30. Thanks Capt -I'll wait for inside pics till I do some spring cleaning-- but here an idea of the size. This ones 72 x 100. Across the driveway is the small shop- 6 cars+[​IMG][​IMG]