Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects starter for 55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatmotor40, Jan 28, 2017.

1. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

What hi torque starter can I put on my 55 with a Lakewood scattershield made for the org 55 starter.A later housing won't fit in bell housing.The block is a 64-65 327 and is drilled for a starter.The Lakewood opening is small for a reg late model starter.Thanks

2. 41hemi

41hemi

Well you could get a hi torque starter and change the nose out from an original 55-57 starter so that it bolts on like original. Just did this to a friend's car. He says that car has never spun over that fast!

3. squirrel

squirrel

I don't understand what the problem is...maybe I'm not reading your post right?

You stated that the scattershield is made for the original 55 starter, which is a 3 bolt starter. First....do you have one of these starters? does it fit?

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The hole of the block saver (flat plate between block and bell housing) is to small ? Or the recess in the bell housing is to small ? Do you have a 168 tooth fly wheel for a V8 and not a smaller later L6 type ?

5. Fordors

Fordors

I have a Lakewood in my coupe that has provision for the bellhousing mounts used on '55-'57 and the block plate has a square 3/8-16 nut welded to it for the bottom starter bolt. In addition there is one tapped hole in the starter pocket area of the bellhousing for the middle bolt along with a hole and a machined relief on the outside of the bell for the top bolt which would also need a nut. The block plate is a 15705, still have it, I did not put it on the engine and it can be used with all three starters AFAIK, early three bolt for 168 tooth 'wheel, the late starter for the 168T f/w's and there is a knockout on the block plate that has to be removed to use the starter for the 153T f/w.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Johnny Gee and henryj1951 like this.
  6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

As i remember it (the knock out) was like a half moon...

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

8. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I have the 3 bolt org starter I just overhauled and really would like a small hi-torque because the headers have always been close to the starter.Have hi-torques on my other 3 cars and it is just easier to lift up.The dimple in the bell housing is small for the 3 bolt starter.I've had this car since 74.I put my old 50lb Hayes flywheel in this back in the late 70's for my drag days.

9. Fordors

Fordors

When you mentioned high torque in your post I expected you wanted the old style starter that uses larger field coils. I guess it is just a difference in terminology, because I think of the new style, mini-starters as being gear reduction, not high torque. One produces a torque increase with larger coils and the other with gearing. Anyway, you might look into Delco PG 260 M, it is used with the 168T flywheel.

10. squirrel

squirrel

If you use a Delco starter with metric bolt holes, make sure to get the right bolts....I have one for a 99 454 pickup, that has 10mm bolts that neck down to 3/8 at the middle of the knurl, where the starter meets the block.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

GM mini vs old style. I have a mini and use a scatter shield and plate. [​IMG]

12. squirrel

squirrel

although your "old style" is not the same as his "old style", which is a 3 bolt starter that bolts to the bellhousing

13. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Mine is the big org starter but I was going for the Mini hi-torque as I have them on my 40 and A also the Monte Carlo.Gives more header clearance.But I've been running this one since 74.Had to go to a hot start solenoid a few years ago.Though while I change the power steering unit I would change this also.Johnny what year starter is the small one Thanks

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lol. One foot on each side of the fence there Jim ?

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No idea. Bought it new from a vendor at the swap meet that knew his stuff and included the bolts with it as well. I can look it up later if you like or I'm sure other's can direct you as well. Off to work for now.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I have a starter like that little one...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_01920_5014634_3090&pt=01920&ppt=C0330

It's just a late model starter, although there are a few different varieties. The one I have is for a 1999 truck with a 454. Small, light, permanent magnet, planetary gear reduction, and OEM so it's designed to last for 200,000 miles. Whether or not it does, depends on your luck.

I had a hot start problem on my 55 years ago (with the large starter), I fixed it by just adding a small relay to the solenoid wire. The voltage on this wire would drop to about 7 volts when trying to start the car, and that would not be enough to make the solenoid pull in. There's no need to use a big Ford type relay, imho.

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just to let you or anyone wanting to use a GM mini starter. There is no resistor bypass terminal for the ignition system. But that should not affect you flatmotor40 on your 55 so long you are still wired up off the ignition switch as Chevy did it back then.

18. squirrel

squirrel

Good point, but not many folks are still using points, so the lack of a R terminal is probably not a big deal.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's HAMB friendlier ;)

20. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks will tackle it this week.Squirrel what relay like a fuel pump relay.I put the Ford relay on a while back.Just redid the org starter with bendix and brushes.I have a TPI unit on this car so.Still wired to switch like the org 55

21. squirrel

squirrel

I used a little square Bosch type relay, which is probably the same thing that you refer to as a fuel pump relay.

relay.jpg

22. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia