Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small Chevy, short water pump with power steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crusty Nut, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I'm replacing a 283 with a 400. The car takes a short water pump and the 400 block does not have the threaded holes on the front of the block near the timing cover which is how the power steering pump mounted on the 283.
    What are my options for getting this power steering pump mounted? I could probably drill and tap the holes but would rather not. I've searched some for a steering pump bracket and am coming up empty handed.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

generator with the pump on the back, as used from mid to late 50s

:)

or drill and tap.

3. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I know one hole goes into the water jacket, which isn't too big of a deal. I won't be in the shop until tomorrow. Is the lower hole blind or what does it go into?

4. squirrel

squirrel

One of the water pump bolt holes goes into water, but those lower holes (originally used for the motor mounts) do not. One on the pass side does go into oil, and it is in line with the fuel pump pushrod.

5. I think '67-'71 Chevy trucks had brackets mounted to the side engine mount. Not 100% sure about all of that, but I remember they were a PITA.

6. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Well, on the 283 the upper hole definitely went into the water jacket, but if they are both blind holes(or supposed to be) drilling may just be the easiest solution.

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Yeah, I didn't know either. That bracket may work. Thanks

8. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No lower bosses?
    [​IMG]
    ???

10. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Gimpy, your first two pictures don't show up, but the bosses on the front of the block are there, but not drilled

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can see them here.

Why not just drill and tap. 20-minutes of work, and Bob's your uncle.

12. I have used that bracket before and it works just fine, it just puts the pump up real high since it is bolted right to the front of the head. The pump isn't cheap it was around $140 bucks when i bought one about 8 years ago. and it goes on the driver side head so Alt mounting can be an issue. I made my own alt brackets and mounted the Alt on the Pass side. you might look at Alan Grove brackets, they make a ton and might have something that could work for you.

13. do you have room for a long water pump? several options there that mount the P/S brackets off the water pump bolts.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez, drill and tap the holes...it ain't rocket science.