Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New guy in Ohio with a 47 Ford coupe, just wanted to say hello

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jasonspd, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jasonspd

jasonspd

Hello. I'm a new guy here. I've been building classic cars since I was 11 years old. I restored my first car, a 1969 Camaro, with my twin brother, James. We still own it at 43 years old. I've since added several other muscle and classic cars. It's an addiction. I'm currently restoring a 1966 Chevelle, real 138 VIN super sport, and 1968 C10, with my father.

I just picked up two old Fords, on the cheap. A 1951 Ford F1, deluxe, flathead V8, with 63k original miles. It took a fresh battery and $5.70 for a set of points for it to run. It was sitting next to a coupe.
    I bought it too. It's a 1947 Ford (early) Club Coupe. The coupe is why I joined this site. To gather knowledge and seek advice. The coupe is a real vintage hot rod, modified last in the 60s. 283 chevy, auto, and chevy 10 bolt rear. 1966 Chevelle buckets, floor shift, and black vinyl interior. It still has the factory front suspension, and someone upgraded to dual rear leafs and traction bars with the rear axle change. It has silver flames over black paint, with heavy surface rust. There are two small rusty places to fix on the right front fender. Both are small, easy fixes on the bottom. The rest is super solid.
    I just dragged it home, the first it's moved from the same spot in at least 17 years. I put in a battery and it fired up. Runs very well. Mild cam, 4 barrel AFB. Sounds awesome and holds 40psi oil pressure at idle, at operating temps.
    It's been converted to 12 volt, but the wiring is a mess. I've already bought a new complete wiring kit. I also bought a new power disc brake setup. It will need tires and a fuel tank, and it will be ready to drive.

I only have a few questions for the folks out there. Is the front factory suspension relatively safe to drive with? Unless the king pins are shot, or it's unsafe, I'd rather not change it out. The car came with a bunch of parts, including a clip from a 69 Camaro. I'd rather not change the suspension. I also have too many projects to justify the cost of a Mustang II or similar. Anyone rock the factory straight axle and wishbone stuff on their old 40's Ford? Is it safe with disc brakes? I understand it won't handle like a Corvette. I just want it to be safe and not ride like a log wagon.

Thanks for the tips and and advice in advance. Stay safe out there fellow hot rodders.

Jason

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. That front suspension will be fine and used by many on here. You can even get a dropped axle to lower the front if you wish. You could rebuild the front end and steering box pretty cheap and it would drive well. Add tube shocks if it does not have them already and it should ride fine for a 40's Ford. That car will have a sway bar and pan arm bar too, which well help ride quality. Bitchin coupe, I like it.

3. uglyjesus

uglyjesus
    from Ohio

hello from Ohio......nice score

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey man, when is your swap meet???

5. jasonspd

jasonspd

The Mod-Tiques swap meet is March 5th at the Clark County Fairgrounds.

6. jasonspd

jasonspd

Thanks! I've considered tube shocks. It has the lever type. Everything else appears factory. It sits pretty well. A dropped axle may make it too low. Not sure. I may cross that bridge too. The panhard rod and sway bar are there. Any idea what tube shocks I can use? Speedway maybe?

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Look up Chris' s thread on his coupe, it'll be great inspiration. Nothing wrong with the stock suspension.

8. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Nice score! There are plenty of us 46-48 ford owners here to get info and ideas from.

jasonspd likes this.
  9. I don't, my car has lever action on it as well. But with a little research it should not be hard. Late 47-48 had tube shocks factory, so if you leave it stock height you can find the mounts off of one of those and order new shocks for one of those cars.

Andrew Mccann and scrap metal 48 like this.
  10. Welcome- I have lever shocks- stock drum brakes- all work well-

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Take that Camaro clip to the Mod-Tiques swap, and trade it for a dropped axle and Posie spring.

jasonspd, Stogy and scrap metal 48 like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

on my old '47 up front it had de-arched / reversed eye springs with 2 leafs removed with tube shocks for the rear of mid 60's Vette - at rear were aftermarket 2" parallel lowering springs with tube shocks

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  13. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

There is no such thing as "too low"

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. figure8

figure8

Nice looking car. Pretty sure it's a '46.

15. 41 C28

41 C28

Hello back to ya from Ohio. Nice pair of Fords.

jasonspd likes this.
  16. Early 47's had the 46 stainless and marker lights

jasonspd likes this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Welcome to the HAMB, I moved from SPFLD to MN, now Wisconsin 6 years ago, I had the airstrip on North Tecumseh Rd. Lots of good info here, welcome aboard!
    IMG_3535.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    jasonspd likes this.
  19. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Good luck on your Fat Ford build!- Build it the way you want to and have fun-Fat Fords make great road cars with lots of room for long drives.

Drive Em

jasonspd likes this.
  20. jasonspd

jasonspd

1927graham! That's awesome. I went to Tecumseh High School and live in western Clark County. Nice to meet you!

1927graham likes this.
  21. jasonspd

jasonspd

Thanks for all of the positive replies! I'll probably just put the disc brakes on it and give it a try. If it needs kingpins or anything rebuilt, I'll do that. I appreciate all the help.