Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 59 impala window adjustment issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vonryan53, Mar 7, 2016.

1. vonryan53

vonryan53

I'm working on a 1959 chevy impala 2 door hardtop. I've pulled the doors apart and had new glass cut for both door windows and replaced the rollers. The passenger side window went back together and functions exactly as it should. The drivers door doesn't. It will roll up to about 3/8 of an inch from the top and just stops. I've removed both of the stops and adjusted it as far as it will go both ways on the track. I even slotted the adjuster holes on the track farther but to no avail. I put both regulators next to each other on the bench, ran them up and down. Both show the same amount of teeth in the up position as in the down position. I even measured my new glass just to make sure my glass guy didn't get a little off. I'm at a loss of why one window does what its supposed to and the other comes up short. Any suggestions to try next?

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

Did they both work properly before you removed them? Photos?

3. Check and see if you might have an odd ball fastener getting in the way.

4. vonryan53

vonryan53

The driver side never did go up all the way but seems to be worse now. I will try to get some pics posted. I cant see any stray fasteners in the way but will double check. I've never run into this before on any of my cars and have had the windows together and apart about twenty times but nothing seems to be out of place. Very frustrating!!!

5. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

I know this is an old thread, but ran into the same issue on my 59. It ended up being the regulator, the rivets on the regulator were loose and had too much slop. Picked up a good shape regulator from a friend and it fixed the issue. Mine use to stop about a half inch from the top.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Have you tried adjusting the vent window post?

7. Hervey

Hervey

Hey Vonryan53, hoping you are still on this site.
    I have a '59 Impala too. I bought stops but don't know how they go on. Any suggestions?
    I have the "Assembly Manual" but of the many things they don't cover this is one.
    Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
    Herv

Attached Files: