Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Dragster Trailer ... Spagetti Bender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CenCal34, Jan 7, 2015.

1. CenCal34

CenCal34

Found this trailer for storage advertised as a toy box. Went and bought it and found out it was made for the San Paolo Bros. Spaghetti Bender dragster. So I'm torn on keeping it for storage or selling it because of it's history. 001.JPG It is 28ft long. It is missing the side door and the ramp needs new wood. On both sides San Paolo Bros is still painted on. In certain light of the day you can see Spaghetti Bender underneath the white spray paint. Any thoughts ?

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. aaggie

aaggie

If you plan on using it as a toy hauler get underneath and check out the frame and axles to make sure it is still road worthy. If not then you have a new storage building.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I say find the car and go have some fun.

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Trailers dont carry that much historical value unless its a Mr.ED trailer

Deuces and deadbeat like this.

5. 675AFD

675AFD
    from Canada

6. 675AFD

675AFD
    from Canada

Hi.

Keeping it or selling it?

Bryan

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

That trailer may be worth good money to the right person who races vintage dragsters or altered.
    Many of the guy's running these vintage events want the trailer to match the car they are racing along with the tow rig.

The old Chaparrel trailers are in demand for this exact same reason.
    I know your trailer needs all new wood and a side door and ramp but you just might be surprised their are many guy's willing to fix that old trailer in order to get it.
    Jimbo

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Except for the position of the side door, it looks almost identical to my Super Comp RED trailer from the late 80's/early 90's I had. Same sort of crank/cable pole to raise the front even. Mine had a huge water tank mounted high in the front. I stripped the old wood veneer paneling out of it, cleaned everything up, and had a company that did spray in foam for refrigeration trucks do the walls and ceiling. Stiffened up everything, sealed any leaks, and made the inside look almost cave-like after I painted it. My side door were just in front of the fenders, one on each side. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Hemitom

Hemitom

Uh, I own the Dragster that went in that trailer. Maybe we should let them coalesce once again. View attachment 3436225 View attachment 3436224 View attachment 3436225 View attachment 3436226 View attachment 3436224 View attachment 3436225 View attachment 3436226

Attached Files:

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now that's what I'am talking about!!!
    What are the chances of that.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

12. Desert-Express

Desert-Express

Bowlus Trailers. If I remember right they were built out of Paso Robles??
    Bowlus trailers were the trailer of choice for most of the racers before Chaparrals became popular.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On this site, nothing is impossible or improbable. Hope he still has it.

14. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

And the two shall me again ???

15. Hemitom

Hemitom

So, CenCal34, any interest in reuniting your trailer with my Spaghetti Bender?

16. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

He has not been on here for two years....

17. pammiesuesguy

pammiesuesguy

Tom, I drove the old rusty 55 Safari down to Seaside for the Concours d Lemons and met Steve San Poalo. Took photos of him behind the wheel and had him sign the dash board. Best weekend ever. He is 88 now but full of stories from the racing days.
    Rich Gabrielson 510-919-5756

Attached Files:

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

This is so cool when history comes back together even if it remains online only .

19. Hemitom

Hemitom

Howdy, Rich! Great to hear that you jawboned with Steve - he was just terrific when we were restoring his car. He sent us all of the original parts that he could find so that we could keep it real. I don't know if you are aware but the car was welcomed by Mr. Greg Sharp, Curator of the NHRA Museum, without whom, there would be no NHRA Museum and it is soooo very important to encourage the preservation and display of important dragsters so that the sport never dies. Personally, I can't thank him enough for keeping the car in the Museum for over 5 years on it's first run - it was supposed to stay there for one year but it was so popular that they kept it on display for what seemed to be an eternity and what ended up being truly one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I am finally in the position to permanently donate the car to the NHRA Museum which I hope to do later this year. I was really hoping that CenCal34 would respond to me so that we could figure out a way to re-unite the car with the trailer but I can't wait any longer. Hopefully, CenCal34 will get wind of what we are trying to do and contact myself or the Museum in order to put car and trailer together. What an amazing thing it would be to have all three vehicles in one place at one time - my car, your car and the trailer! Anyway, thanks for your post - hold on to that wonderful wagon - it is a true piece of drag racing history. You may want to check out Rod & Custom Magazine, June 2000 - starting on Page 73 for the Spaghetti Bender's Restoration article. Keep the faith and the cap on your Nitro......all the best, Tom Lawson

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Hemitom

Hemitom

Well, it is official! Earlier this month, I donated the Spaghetti Benders Dragster to the new Lions Drag Strip Museum in Rancho Dominguez, CA. I must thank Jeff Hyman, quite literally the world's greatest Classic Car Appraiser for arranging my donation - clearly another home run for my dear friend Jeff and a win for the museum! You may not know that the museum opened in July of last year to thousands of well wishers, legends and the like. Founder Rick Lorenzen has done an amazing job putting together the consummate venue to celebrate So Cal's most storied and celebrated Drag Strip. Since the car had a very successful race history there and since Rick vividly remembers seeing her ferry Steve San Paolo down the 1320 in the early 60's it seemed a fitting marriage, especially in light of the fact that she comes in early in the museum's life and that is key since she brought good luck to the NHRA Museum in it's early days, staying in residence for 5.5 years when she was only supposed to be there for one year. Being a part of this wonderful new museum is very humbling and I can't thank Rick and of course Curator/Manager/Head Cheez Lana Chrisman for her enthusiastic reception of our Digger. Along with Rick and some of the most talented automotive artists that this and the last century has produced, Lana has shepherded what can only be described as an uplifting museum experience. This is unusual and one of the cornerstones of that experience lies in the fact that with regard to the heroes of Lions, instead of an archivist's view of their lives and contributions, the families of those storied legends were asked to design and populate the display cases with what THEY thought the world would like to see. That adds a warmth and depth to those reputations that only a family can provide. This is amazing and by itself, worth the visit. The trouble with this place, of course is that you won't want to leave! Anyway, I hope that you all get a chance to see the Spaghetti Benders Dragster in residence at the new Lions Drag Strip Museum - I promise, you will be impressed and uplifted with how Lions is celebrated and make sure that you plan to stay a while. Enjoy!!

0ldracer, Deuces, stanlow69 and 5 others like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

So cool of you to do!

Deuces likes this.
  22. Hemitom

Hemitom

It was hard to give her away- she has been under my stewardship for over 20 years but she is now where she should be for all of the world to enjoy. Like the Patek Philippe ad says: "you never really own one, you just take care of it for the next generation". I was lucky enough to be able to bring her back with amazing people touching the project which was rewarded with some significant milestones - NHRA Museum, in-residence for over 5 years; LeCercle Concours d'Elegance Vintage Race Car Winner (first time a dragster was ever invited to a top-tier concours event); Trophied at the 50th Grand National Roadster Show for Vintage Race Car; Rod & Custom Magazine Project car and too many other tributes to mention. Now it is time for her to move to her next assignment. BTW- I just got a call from another ex-drag racer about Jeff Hyman and how to get in touch with him. Jeff is known all over the world as the "Classic Auto Appraiser" and can be reached at: 800-454-1313 or by email: [email protected] . He has been appraising my vehicles for over 20 years and I would never even consider asking anyone else. He is the real deal.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Deuces likes this.