Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP ... Pete Chapouris

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jan 6, 2017.

1. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Pete,
    Thanks for the beer, thanks for the burger, thanks for the So-Cal apron, thanks for wanting to buy my F1, thanks for the great emails, thanks for coming to Victoria, thanks for driving your car, you were a swell guy! DSCN9470.JPG

DSCN9469.JPG

2. Dedicated to the memory of a man who dedicated so moch to the revitalization of the hobby. A dedication to tradition but a need to make it safer without compromising that tradition.
    A dedication shared by generations of hot Rodgers and car enthusiasts world wide whose shared passion are the heartbeat of the HAMB. A dedication to kindness, courtesy and cherish. Rest, now, Pete and thanks for your inspiration.

v v v OPEN LINK v v v
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-the-13th-art-show-jan-2017.1046419/

Stogy and D type like this.
  3. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I met Pete back in the 80's when we were Nostalgia Racing at Fremont and Bakersfield. I can still see the grin on his face, when he dipped into the 10's with his Limefire Roadster. Our paths crossed a few more times over the last many years, he was always a gentleman ! R.I.P.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I remember back in Nov,1997 right before the CHRR-BAKO. That my Hot Rod Pal-Erik had been working at PC3g for a while then, but "BIG CHANGES WERE AROUND THE CORNER!!!"

Pete knew that we were headed to The CHRR, so Erik, hands me a few 4"x2 " vinyl stickers and guess what they said??????? SO-CAL!!!!!!!

Pete made sure that those stickers were on the lower corner of the windshield when Alex and Pete made the announcement that SO-CAL WAS BACK!!!!
    Notice though all in caps.... IMG_9073.JPG

So we can't let this tribute go by with out those partners in biz shown together, somewhere I've a shot of them in the S-C roadster, but for now I'll post this one. IMG_9067.JPG

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    chryslerfan55, Baron, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  6. It's been said that time heals all wounds. However it might be a good long time before the entire street rod community gets over the passing of this iconic individual. The cars he created are legendary and the companies,well they're iconic. A good and genuine man who contributed a great deal to our hobby has gone home to the lord. God bless and god speed Mr. Chapouris . RIP

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Zerk, Stogy, Finn Jensen and 2 others like this.
  7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Here's Pete with Bobby Walden at Mooneyes Japan
    About 6 weeks ago. IMG_9095.PNG

Baron, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  8. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

I had the Hot Rod Magazine centerfold of the Limefire Roadster on my bedroom wall growing up. Always seemed like a class act every time I saw him in action. Great vision, very composed, a true gentleman indeed.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Wow, just saw this, and he passed on the same day as my grandmother.. 2017 has not been off to a good start for me so far.

I remember seeing him drive around Pomona all the time when I used to live there a few years ago. I remember I ran into him once pumping gas in my O/T '95 Impala SS at the Chevron on Garey Ave next to I-10 a few years back.

I was drooling over his black Town Car he used to drive around, when he walked up and complimented my Impala, I was a bit flattered.

I'll say, the guy did not look his age, I'm surprised to hear the news.

RIP. He definitely won't be forgotten.

[​IMG]

10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Figured I'd add these in as well.
    (This is how these cars looked in my late teens,
    They hung out at Goody's for breakfast and those two coupes got my heart racing and made me proud to be where these three cars were-especially when I was on a road test :). ). IMG_9139.PNG

IMG_9138.PNG
    And PC3 being interviewed about 13 yrs ago. IMG_9137.PNG

Baron, Bowtie Coupe, HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  11. Is that Pete's Urn?

12. -C-.

-C-.
    from GERMANY

R.I.P. Pete ´´´´´

We had some good times at shows in europe and the USA.
    I spend quite some $ at his shop in the past 15 years.
    I always will remember the good times. Pete C J.Reids  Matt. Do Condor.jpg

Stogy, Baron, deucemac and 2 others like this.
  13. "Pete Chapouris Memorial" artwork by @Jeem:

PC3 Memorial artwork (by Jimmy Smith).jpg

NOTE: T-shirts will be available this weekend at the GNRS. Proceeds will help fund a very cool deal they're doing in Pete's name!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Nice. Going to sell any outside of GNRS?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. At the GNRS:

@ GNRS 1-26-2017 (by Jim Jard) .jpg
    photo by Jim Jard

Memorial @ GNRS 1-27-2017 (by Josh Horowitz).jpg
    Cal Kid & Limefire @ GNRS 1-27-2017 (by Josh Horowitz).jpg
    photos by Josh Horowitz​

Stogy, Baron, chryslerfan55 and 7 others like this.
  16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Stogy, Nobey, kidcampbell71 and 5 others like this.
  17. Stogy, dirt t, catdad49 and 3 others like this.

18. PC3 (by Steve Gamba).jpg
    Pete Chapouris III
    acrylic on canvas
    by Steve Gamba

Stogy, Never2low, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  19. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

20. bondolero

bondolero

21. Hemi 32 Thanks for the link. Great read.

HEMI32 likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Any of you that are on facebook, So Cal Speed Shop Pomona put up a nice collection of photos on their page, with >600 photos.

https://www.facebook.com/socalspeed...97306349559/10155829326054560/?type=3&theater

Flipping through those photos shows a very typical southern California life that Pete lead; cars, boats, dirt bikes, family. Many of those photos of him hanging with family, or camping out in the desert with a trailer of dirt bikes, on a house boat at the river, up in the mountains, etc, man, that was so Cal living. Those pictures would fit right in in a photo album for countless friends and relatives here in so Cal. As far as he made it in the hot rod world, he was after all just a regular guy. Wish I would've known him.

23. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

It was very sad to hear of Pete's passing. At the time I did a few 'phantom' magazine covers, I think that depict a bit about the man that many new as the Pete from Pete and Jake's.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, Baron, Bowtie Coupe and 6 others like this.
  24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Geoff,
    This is great!!!!! I always dig when you have foresight to create such kool kovers!!!
    I was just over Gary Lorenzini's place last evening, had a great time talking about "The Adventures of PC3".
    I've met a great deal friends over the past 45 years of being a car nut, all of these guys are/ were my Hot Rod hero's. I'm so very glad that I've been able interact with many of them in both a working and social environment.

25. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Thanks for sharing this Blues4u
    And many thanks to Pete's family and friends for this very personal peek into his/your lives.
    Brings back memories of being a 12 year old kid, getting to tag along with my best friends family to places like Merced, Lodi, San Jose events in the late 70's and living some of this.
    Glad this tribute re-surfaced
    Ronn

Stogy, Baron, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  26. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's a couple more phantom covers I did recently, that feature The Kid.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baron, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

02E28FC2-04BE-4BB3-9388-02FA307782C4.jpeg 1C8DDBB2-240D-413A-A1F5-AAAF1A29429D.jpeg
    Can’t believe that it’s nearly been a year since Pete’s passing......and then later Bob Bauder’s passing, been thinking about you guys.
    Wishing you the best with all of the rest.

28. deucemac

deucemac

A year after we lost Peter and it still is hard to believe. He and Jake breathed new life into our sport/hobby/business/passion. With the passing of Bob Bauder, things must be cooking in hot rod heaven. Just think Peter,Bauder, Baskerville, Art Christman, and so many others it almost makes me jealous not being there. Pete ' s impact on us has no real measurement because of so much he inspired. A true gift to us all left us 1 year ago ago and we are all poorer And richer because of him. Once again RIP and thank you Pete.

29. What deucemac said.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.