Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. OG lil E likes this.
  2. OG lil E and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Great finds, Sancho! "Sugar Daddy" looks like it was put into storage and left unchanged for a long time. Glad to see it's still around. A lot of people might think the add-ons and gewgas (sic?) are corny, but I like it. This car reminds me of my Uncle Joe's so much.
    The pink and white tuck'n'roll in it reminds me of the Colorado legend Chantilly Lace '59 Impala built by Jack Kaufman. That is another car I used to hunt out at car shows and cruise nights to drool over. If you look close you can see the pink and white interior in this picture.

KUSTOM 261.jpg

That's funny Sancho! I remember back before Night Prowlers changed hands several years ago, if you did a search for them you'd get some strange search results with that, too. I remember sitting waiting for search results and being shocked by the stuff popping up on my screen! E

4. Funny! I remember that other "Night Prowlers" site too.

OG lil E and stanlow69 like this.
  5. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Maybe a reason we don't see them often? I'm not a fan of the look. I don't see the point, .... well except the two of them, pun intended. Are they supposed to look really kool at night? Here's a '57 close up. 15367457519_18e04f3ae2_z.jpg

kidcampbell71, drdave and OG lil E like this.
  6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmmm, I wonder what ever happened to Jack Kaufman...??? I know he was in Denver for a few years after he sold his '59 but have lost track of him these days...last I heard or seen he had a yellow '57 Chevy half ton but haven't seen him at a cruise or event in the last 10 years or so...

R-

OG lil E likes this.
  7. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

Sugar Daddy is still around. Pocahontas Ill. Still listed on the St Louis craigslist as of today.

OG lil E likes this.
  8. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Thus is "Just Peachy" the thing was an awesome pearl sherbet X-4 door with a ton of magazine coverage
    Anybody have older pictures of this car back in the day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rodncustomdreams, drdave and 54delray like this.
  9. That looks a lot like "Misty Blue".

54delray and OG lil E like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Misty Bluz had a straight bar grille with no parking lights. Scan0149.jpg Scan0150.jpg Scan0151.jpg I`ve always liked this car. Excluding the graphics. An earlier pic from the 80`s. Maybe because of the dash.

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A later pic from Salina about 8 years ago. It was forsale then. Somewhere I have a frontal shot. Scan0152.jpg Scan0153.jpg

12. What's the trunk upholstered with?

13. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

Misty Blue is currently residing in a Wisconsin custom Merc collection and looks just as it did in the early 80's when it appeared in so many magazines.

14. I knew they were different cars. Just have a similar appearance......
    Especially the general shape and style of the top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

Misty Blue, built by Rick Schnell from Minnesota, made the cover of “Classic & Custom” in 1981. It was at last year’s Back to the ‘50’s and looks the same.

hamb1.jpg

hamb2.jpg

hamb3.jpg

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I believe it was the Kkoa leadsled show in 1986 that a mystery man from the east coast showed up with a briefcase full of cash and bought a half dozen full custom mercs. One of them was Misty Blue built by my friend Rick Schnell. I remember everyone was flabbergasted at the high price the guy paid for these cars 13,500 dollars each!!!!

17. What Ever Happened To..........? number 45.

1950 Ford
    Owner: Lyn Finlayson
    Alliance, Nebraska

This weeks W.E.H.T. was another car that proved to be really tough to find information on. I had no luck in my magazine search, and the only year I could find it on video was at the 1984 Leadsled Spectacular in Des Moines. It might have been one of those cars that made a brief appearance and then disappeared, or it might have changed so much that it was unrecognizable at later shows.
    Glen Finlayson was interviewed at the '84 Spectacular, and from his comments, it sounds like he did a lot of the work on this car himself. The most radical thing about it was the 6 inch chop, and the wild flames. He did nice work, too, as the car was black and looked razor straight in the video. He did mention that a guy in Torrington, Wyoming did the flames, but he didn't give the painter's name. Funny thing for me is the fact that the car had blackwalls. Maybe he preferred blackwalls, or just couldn't afford whitewalls or hadn't gotten around to buying some. Who knows?
    In the interview, Glen mentioned that the car still had the flathead 6 in it. He said it ran so good that he hated to change it out, but he had a built up nailhead with 6 Strombergs on it waiting to go in.
    And with that comment, he cruised out of the shot and into history. Is Glen and his shoebox still out there? We may never know.
    See you next week..........E

Lynn Finlayson 50 Ford a KLL.jpg

Lynn Finlayson 50 Ford b KLL.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  18. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

For the record, his name is Lynn. Easy enough to sound like Glen so no biggie. I'll give his brother Rocky a call and see what I can come up with. Cool Car, Lil E, Thanks for taking the time you do for a weekly post.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  19. I'm glad you know his name, @54delray. I listened to him say his name over and over again on the DVD and I just guessed that it was Glen, but it sounded like Flynn or even Fin. Maybe his name is Lynn Layson instead of Lynn Finlayson? Let me know if you find out anything more and I'll correct the post.
    Glad you're enjoying the thread! E

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

That heavy chop makes the car look really long.

Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  21. I was watching the '84 Leadsled Spectacular this evening and I saw that this Merc was there.
    I did some searching around and I found a few pictures on Rikster's site that were taken by John Tretten, a.k.a. @PasoJohn.
    The car has changed some, but the dead giveaway is the way the top was done and the unique grille.
    This car has gone though a lot of changes and possible owners. I think it was the pearl orange first (around '84), then it went to the strange paint job with the weird graphics. I think this version was on one of my videos in the early 90s, say about '93 or so. I think it might have been the same owner up to that point as the personalized license plates say the same thing ("X 4 DOOR"), they are just a different color, maybe suggesting a plate style change at the local DMV.
    I also remember seeing the lavender suede version at the Leadsleds--must have been the same show as the pictures Jim posted above. Now it looks like it has resurfaced in the red version with the addition of the Pontiac side trim. E

JohnTretten77w-vi.jpg

JohnTretten78w-vi.jpg

22. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Just talked to Lyn's brother, Rocky Finlayson. Rocky says he was probably in the passenger seat when they did the video interview. He remembers the car being so low that you could lean a dime against the lake pipe plug. Driving over manhole covers was iffy. Once, his dad, who wasn't really into old chopped cars, was driving it in Omaha when it stalled. Combination of a hot starter, generator, and being a 6 volt, she wouldn't fire. His dad ended up pushing the car in Omaha traffic. I can just imagine, "damn stupid black car with flames .... ricken frazzen, razzen"

Rocky says the car is in Scottsbluff NE now. Owner is Buck Goodro of Goodro Auto Salvage. Lyn had it on a modified frame, new owner put it back on a stock frame and it sits up high now. (not good). I recall seeing a picture of it on the HAMB, up high like that, but I cannot find it when I do a search.

But I did find that Lyn is on the HAMB, albeit inactive. Member name is lyn finlayson. I'm not smart enough to link to another thread, but some one can post his reply in "Tent Find Mercury Chopped" thread. Lyn actually tells a little about the 50 Ford. Or maybe it was on his profile page?

Rocky thought that Tommy Donahue out of Scottsbluff chopped the car, not sure what Lyn said on the video.

One of my searches came up with a photo in Scottsbluff Star Herald, June 23 2015. It show the Ford in the paint booth, credits painter Jeremiah Gardner on the repaint. (Maybe an older photo, as I think Lyn talks about the repaint in one of his posts, and that was before 2015) Maybe some one can link to that newpaper picture?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    drdave, Sancho, williebill and 2 others like this.
  23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here are some pic`s I took in Kansas City at a small KKOA show in 83. The neat part about his car was the interior with a chrome dash. Scan0154.jpg Scan0155.jpg

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Bill, you are gonna have to call Rocky and ask him about this Ford with a Cushman scooter in the back since Lyn was from Alliance. These were taken in the late 80`s at the Des Moines KKOA Scan0156.jpg Scan0157.jpg Last Pass show.

25. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

I found some more paint booth pics on Gardnerroad Kustoms Facebook page. Then clicked a link to the "High Plains Riot" page, A show in Mitchell NE, Buck Goodro took a best paint award with the black flamed 50 Ford. Pulled this pic from the site. Shows the car not so low anymore. Oddly still running blackwall tires.

And on second glance, aftermarket chromed-steel wheelcovers. Nothing beats vintage polished stainless ...

10325658_707955069310192_3702744067808498889_n.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  26. Roger's photo from page 7 of the Kustom Blues thread:
    downloadfile-1.jpg

27. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Thank you, Sancho. I knew I had seen it, and people had commented on the stance. I'll go back and read it. I bet there was a different spelling on the name or something.

(moments later) HaHa, just went back and read those posts, and you were the one commenting on the stance. And, yep, name spelled different in that thread

28. carhunter59

carhunter59
    from blaine mn

That car was in minnesota here just 2 years ago in north st paul show was pink with scallops. A guy named ron had it for sale im sure i got a pick ill dig up

Sancho, 54delray and OG lil E like this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I remember that black ford from the kkoa show in 84, it is too bad about what happened to it, looks horrible sitting up high...That is my buddy Johnny Z in the carson topped 57 buick (at age 16) in the pic above cruising the opposite way.... I too saw the "just Peachy car up here at an event last year. now painted pink...