Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 Ford Coupe Price Differences

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GonzoMN, Jan 24, 2017.

1. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

I'v been looking at 40 Ford coupe pricing and they seem to be all over the map.
    Nice coupes seem to be going for anywhere from the mid 30's to the 60's
    Any ideas on why the differences or is it just what people ask?
    I know that they are worth what people will pay.

2. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

There are many 40 Ford coupes and also many shoppers. When the seller establishes a list price on the coupe he is selling it is based on comparative values and speculation. Be patient/take your time/ask many questions/request lots of photos and evaluate the auto first hand if possible. Play the game well keeping in mind that you may have it for the rest of your life. Make a sensible offer then stay firm with that number.......... 0433c6_36c7ca59f11946c0993d856daadca5b2_jpg_srz_368_251_75_22_0_50_1_20_0.jpg

3. did you get a hold of Grant? he has a `40 coupe project i think he would sell

4. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I think you answered your own question.;)

hotrodharry2 likes this.

5. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Not looking for a project.

Deucedreamer likes this.
  6. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

How nice the gaps are and the doors close... Real ford parts, no china junk shit garbage. Vintage speed parts are expensive, especially magnesium goodies...and hood fit on a forty ford is a lot of work

olscrounger, LOU WELLS and GonzoMN like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Take your time and pick out a good one. a forty ford is one of those cars that a person should keep for a lifetime....I bought mine at a garage sale of all places. Right place right time. Don't get me wrong because I didn't exactly steal it pricewise but it was 40K actual miles with 1 repaint in the 60's with no previous body work

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Even in SoCal the numbers are wide apart.

GonzoMN likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

A lot of cars look nice from the outside, but what's it look like under the paint? A $20,000 paint job is worthless if it's over Kittyhair patches and pop riveted floorboards. And chassis work is another place that can bite you. You need to know what to look for, and a lot of that can't be explained over a message board.

X38, GonzoMN and olscrounger like this.
  10. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Some of the real high prices could be because a shop did most of the work, and the owner is trying to get some of his money back. I once noticed a 40 Chevy 4-dr. sedan for sale in Streetscene for $75,000. I called and asked the owner no disrespect but what makes a 4-dr. sedan worth that kind of money. he told me because he had paid a well known shop over a $100,000 to re-build his Dad's old car. He was trying to get his money back. I sold my 40 Ford Coupe at the Nationals for $22,000 about 15 years ago. It still needed paint, and upholstery. My wife had cancer, I felt I need money, and he was tickled to get the car, and finish it his way. Good luck on your hunt. I used to have a mail route that had a 40 Ford Deluxe coupe stored in a garage. The owner was a retired cop, and he told me he would trade the coupe for a 60's era Corvette. This car had old cracked laquar paint, and a 55 Buick frame and drivetrain. It didn't run or start. That was over 20 years ago, and 60's era Corvette were bringing in the $30,000 range then. This coupe was a time capsule, but not worth that kind of money to me. You'll know what you want when you see it.

GonzoMN and LOU WELLS like this.
  11. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

I think variation from original, barn find, field find, to hot rod, to Kustom, resto-mod, to all out Bitchen & Billet StreetRod all make prices dramatically different ranges.
    Of course ebay & Professional Salespeople have also dictated what they want the suggested market "asking price" to be.
    Asking price is not Sold Price.
    Too many variables to answer a price, but you knew that in your initial question.
    Show some pics of what your looking for & it's still going to be a wide range. Post a wanted ad.

GonzoMN and LOU WELLS like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

they can be all over the place price wise. Look em over carefully and ask questions. Lot of junk out there in the $30-40s. As many say, all there but needs it all-big money pit. A good one that fits well and is "right" is well worth the price vs a turd that needs a redo. Many 40 folks here can give you input. Front end fit makes or breaks a 40-a little hard to get spot on and easily seen-door gaps too all the way around. We have had 14 pass thru here over the years.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    i.rant, bobwop, kbgreen and 5 others like this.
  13. patterg2003

patterg2003

This may be a reiteration as I started this, walked & came back to finish.
    The cars are worth what the cheque is written for. I think some people have invested a lot of money and trying to recoup costs or they just have unrealistic expectations. Cars with high prices would have to be of exceptional quality to justify the money and then they are in a stratosphere of high dollar buyer. High rollers are in a different market & they are not going to give their money away either.
    A regular coupe built in a professional shop to an acceptable finish and quality would be expensive because of the shop labor factor. That car may not be any better than a car built by a knowledgeable home builder with some professional assistance for paint and upholstery. I think that having a professional do the work may raise the value somewhat but there is a point of no return or recovery of the investment. It is like investing big money in renovating a house but the house value is valued at comparable houses for sale irregardless of money sunk in it.The market sets the value. Documented history may also help drive value if the car has had any exposure in the past in a magazine or built by a know builder back in the day.
    I bought a shell of a convertible from a fellow that had high expectations of its value and it was priced like a survivor runner. I asked his price and if he was flexible to which he said no. I told him that I was seriously interested but not at the price. The seller was honest about the condition and represented it properly. He gave me examples of similar cars for sale that were running survivors for sale. There is a difference between the selling and sold price. I told him that I was really interested but I was not going to make an offer as it would offend him. He dropped the price and I talked to him again but did not make an offer for the same reason. If he could sell it at his price then god speed as my heart was not set & still looking for a coupe. Time went by and he phoned me one day and offered it to me at a much lower price that was where I thought the car should be and then was willing to buy it. The car came with all the parts that are unique to the convertible with the top irons, window & door garnish mouldings etc.. The nice thing is that the majority of 40 parts are commonly available. They are expensive enough but the dedicated convertible prices are wicked expensive. As it sits I could part it out and break even.
    People price the convertibles like they are rare and a scarce commodity. There were 3 on Craigslist the other day and that is one state. There are a lot of convertibles for sale that appear to range from good runners to excellent restorations from mid 30's to well north of a 100. There was a conversation of well finished cars going over the auction block at lower than expected prices. The opportunity to get bargains in other models of cars going over the block may also draw buyers away from needing a 40 coupe classic. It may be me but I think very old car prices in general may be slipping as interest as moved on new decades.

The market could be shrinking everyday as boomers go off into the sunset or their interest may be shifting in eras as well. I think that if a person is not in need of a project and would like a good car then take a serious look at several cars. The number one point when looking at buying a car of any sort is to look for reasons not to buy. Remove the emotion and look at the quality, deficiencies, fit & finish etc. Find the car that good car. I feel for the owners of cars that I have seen at show & shines where they have bought & paid good money where the paint blisters are resurfacing & substandard restoration is evident.

RODIST, LOU WELLS, 47ragtop and 2 others like this.
  14. 47ragtop

47ragtop

READ this last paragraph patterg2003 post again. Watch the clown show, oh I meant Barrett-Jackson and you see the change from pre48 to later cars. The market is definitely shrinking but the number of 40's is growing. Yes ,look for reasons not to buy and keep your emotions in check. Some of the cars for sell are worth the money while others are not, just junk. I call it a price adjustment and some sellers just don't want to accept this. I looked at a 40 coupe with a Merc flathead. new interior nice older black paint. I sked the owner if he thought I could drive it home, "It's okay around town but gets hot on the highway"-- Really I guess that's the reason I still haven't bought and I have been looking for 2 years.

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good Luck with your search, Sounds like you have made the decision of what you want and probably have your price point set, just be patient, you'll know it when the "Car" that trips your trigger is found. As always, the prices are all over the map, always was, always will be, IMO.

47ragtop likes this.
  16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I wanted a 40 Ford coupe since the first time I laid eyes on one when I was 10 years old. I never gave any thought to which one would be a better buy. I just bought the first one I had the money to buy and made it mine. Never been sorry or looked back . Wanted one bad enough a bargain didn't matter in the least . ME HAPPY !!!

17. Most of what I was going to say has already been covered,however the price can dictate whether it was built by a pro shop which escalates their asking price.

When was the car built,a nice coupe built 20 years ago may be worth more than a recent build.

IMHO,a traditional car that has been lovingly cared for should be worth more than a circus wagon. HRP

47ragtop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. teejay99

teejay99

I'm always checking out carsonline.com , old Fords and Mercs . Some cars have been on for a long time and are down near the bottom of the list . Sometimes it's just a hard to sell colour such as purple . ....or there may be issues , but these guys will probably want to haggle price more than cars that have just been posted . I would expect to pay at least $30 K for a decent 40 coupe . Sedans are cheaper but you want a coupe .

19. I want one too, my holy grail car. I'll have to wait until I retire in a few years and take the lump-sum exit. I see them on eBay often enough from $20k to $70k.

20. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I wanted a '40 coupe for years but did not have a lump sume of cash sitting around but had a nice '41 Pickup that was not finished but a very well built good running car (I built) so when I found a for sale or trade deal on the '40 coupe I figured my search had ended and I traded with some $ to get the car. I was sort-of blinded that I had a '40 oupe and I can fit into it without the cramped space of the pickup (I am 6'5", long legs) I made the deal and after getting car home the deal revelled a hidden level of fabrication well below my expectations and my standards.(many Bondo/tack weld poor quality/short cuts to get it done) Since the "turn key" coupe needed complete upgrades I accepted my mistake and have been working slowly to up grade virtually everthing to make it MY car and raise the fit & finish to acceptable and safe levels.
    I am sure if I had the $ invested + initial purchase price and value of the '41 Pickup in one lump sum I could have bought a really nice car with nice paint and interior, however we sometimes make decisions we have to live with and work to improve the situation to finally meet our expectations. I would say now I would not recover the amount invested if I were to sell it (not happening) But it is mine and I enjoy it.
    I feel fortunate to have owned what I consider 2 all time classic Hot Rods, a 1932 Ford 3 window Coupe & now My '40 Standard coupe. Botttom line a NICE '40 coupe, get in and drive with confidence would run at least $30K-$35K .If Paint & inteior and runing gear are top of the line in quality and finish prices do run higher. I rather work on the car and know what is in it and the quality of the work performed and will not buy somethng that someone else took short cuts to just sell.
    If something fails NOW I know who's at fault...

21. RODIST

RODIST

Hi, ... '40 Coupe prices,...&
    Their differences,... (in my somewhat narrow minded view !!) should take into account the condition of the car , & how the present condition compares to as it was made .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. RODIST

RODIST

(Hit send trying to fix a typo,!!)
    Compared to condition as it was made. Then all the various upgrades, & how they suit the buyers wants /needs. Then all the many expenses already noted by previous posts,...quality, name builder, mag covers Ext. & on.
    Then.... Cool Factor!!! ,,,
    Desireability impacts price ,
    40's r described by some as " investments ",..(!),...
    Then there's the " safe " factor,..where if the need be , it can be sold , quickly if necessary, & is expected to sell at more than was paid.!?
    40 Coupes have been pricey here in New England

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

GonzoMN likes this.
  23. As much as I like the '40 Ford, I've been looking at '37 and '38 coupes as well. Much more affordable.

24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Money is a relative thing. One must decide what value is on their own terms and what x amount of dollars means to them.
    My nephew is looking for a Chevelle and has a "budget" in mind and has looked at cars strictly within that budget. I've told him to look at cars that are priced higher than he wants to pay so he can establish in his own head the " value" of a car priced 15K above his budget.
    He may find the lower priced car is overpriced compared to what he can get for 5-10K more or vice-versa but he will establish value of his money in his mind.
    My coupe is my forever car, some may say I paid too much but that will be their value and price point, not mine. I could have sold mine 20 times already from inquires I've gotten and made 10K on it but it's not for sale and I won't put a number on it.
    I'll always remember a conversation I had about 4years ago at a GG show in Phoenix when I was looking at a 40 coupe and after awhile inquired if he ever thought he would sell it.
    After thinking a few minutes he just said " Awww,then I would have to find another one".
    Right now IMHO I don't think 40 coupes popularity is on the downswing, find a car you like and run with it.

25. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

One I'm looking at looks a lot like yours.

lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good info here. I'm considering starting another coupe but,as stated,I think prices are a little soft and demand may be lower. At 74 I'm good for another one but fear I may not come out as well. To purchase and do one correctly is not cheap and some parts are getting harder to find but I have a good stash. If I don't proceed then I will just start selling off the parts that I know i'll never find again and just enjoy the one I have. No later stuff interests me at all.

27. Same here, Dave! I can't even begin to count the number of times I have had folks tell me they wanna buy my ol' beater coupe, but after having it for the past 45 years, that just ain't gonna happen.

I know that 40BCool's old coupe is available, as I got a recent head's up about it. It's a neat old hot rod from the Tulsa area that is black with flames, but it's got frenched '60 caddy tail lamps in the rear fenders. I've got a few pics of it. I think that his brother is asking 25K for it.

LOU WELLS, lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  28. Rusty

Rusty

29. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Since I was lucky enough to inherit my grandfathers 40 coup from my dad years ago I have done the mechanicals and finally pulled the trigger on the body and paint. With the exception of replacing the SBC engine with a modified flatty I am keeping it the same color as my avatar. Taking the paint down to the metal because of cracking, the shop found some lead, bondo and about 4 layers of paint down to the original color.

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  30. GonzoMN

GonzoMN

Very cool to get your grandfather's coupe.

my2nd40 and lothiandon1940 like this.