Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Let me tell ya, it was a bitch getting in and out of those cars parked like that. I did it a few times. I remember driving around San Francisco, and walking too, when you could still see neat old cars sitting on the streets. Oakland too. I'm pretty sure the 36 Ford Cabriolet that Brizio did, and painted purple, some 25 or 30 years ago, use to sit in the street in front of Lake Merritt in Oakland.

2. [​IMG]
    A car accident in Greece

biggeorge, tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  3. 41 C28

41 C28

A 001.jpg 002.jpg couple from an April 1950 Popular Science magazine.

4. The car is a 1930 or 1931 Buick. The girl is sitting on the radiator cap which might have told us the difference. There was a story about those bumpers on theoldmotor.com not too long ago.[/QUOTE]

Taken from The Old Motor:
    This charming photo taken in Brazil, shows us Miss J. F., posing on top of the radiator and hood of a very sporty 1929 Buick Roadster. She is wearing a polka-dotted dress, high heels and an attractive hat, all in the fashion of the times. The Buick is equipped with a quite expensive accessory bumper…

loudbang likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Not according to the Chinese made lunch bucket we have, it says "Roy Rogers and Topper"!

Bowtie Coupe, hendelec and loudbang like this.
  6. Your Chinese lunch bucket aside ~ Roy's horse was Trigger, Gene's horse was Champion, Buck Jones horse was Silver, Allen Rocky Lanes horse was Black Jack, Dale Evans rode Buttermilk, Rex Allen had Koko, Panchos horse in the Cisco Kid was Loco, the Lone Rangers horse was Silver, Tonto rode Scout, Lash LaRue's horses were Black Diamond and Rush; Johnny Mack Browns horses were Scout, Reno and Rebel; Smiley Burnett rode Ring Eye, Tony was Tom Mix's horse, Tex Ritter rode White Flash, Wild Bill Elliott's horse was Thunder, Sunset Carson rode Cactus, Bob Steele's horse was Brownie, the Durango Kid rode Raider, Hopalong Cassidy's horse was Topper, Whip Wilson rode Silver Bullet, Gabby Hayes rode Calico, Eddie and Blossom; Andy Devine's horse was named Joker, Keith Maynard rode Tarzan, Tim Holt rode Duke, Shiek, Lightning, Steel and Sundance...

Gene and Champion riding in style. (That was one well broke horse)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  7. A Blimp from Naval Air Station Tillamook flying over Seaside, Oregon during WW ll. Notice the Coast Guard lookout tower that was in place at the turnaround during the war.

[​IMG]

36 ROKIT, Bomb, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    South end of Hangar B at Naval Air Station Tillamook during WW II
    [​IMG]

Prepping for sub patrol
    [​IMG]

Swede Ralston flying through the hangar (his name is painted upside down as he flew upside down (inverted six) quite a lot), no auto in this photo, but it's pretty darn cool without one.
    [​IMG]

36 ROKIT, Bomb, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  9. swi66

swi66

10. Seventh photo is Australian Ron Thorp in his Cobra. Ordered from and built by AC Cars in the UK. Raced very successfully across Aus. Not sure of venue but certainly Aus. most probably NSW.

john worden and loudbang like this.
  11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Fairing? We don't need no stinking fairing!
    [​IMG]

13. I remember this from growing up in Florida. Built in 1888 as a luxury tourist hotel on Ormond Beach, it was THE place for the wealthy snowbirds. The site of the early beach speed trials. Was also the anchor for the AACA swap meet that evolved into the now famous Turkey Run in Daytona. Suffered a fire and was torn down in the 90's.
    upload_2017-1-24_9-57-29.png
    upload_2017-1-24_9-56-24.png

Attached Files:

loudbang, Dave Mc and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie
    The midget about to be pushed off is/was my dads car. That is Bob Shaeffer driving. The track is Trenton. 1962.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Ray C's son and loudbang like this.
  15. Scramboleer

Scramboleer

Anyone recognize this flathead? Continental 226?

Chrisbcritter likes this.
  16. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

looks like the second sterling plumbing 55 that Hank Henry built.

loudbang likes this.
  18. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

19. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Sorry - I messed this one up, but does anyone know where this ^^^^^ photo was taken?

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That's a thorough list of the riders and their horses, but you left out the most beautiful horse, (in my mind) Diablo, who's real name was "Pair O' Dice", ridden by the Cisco Kid ! They used as many as 4 different horses in the filming, because he was so valuable. I have seen every Roy Rogers TV Show, at least a half a dozen times, and all of his movies as well, he was truly a great man. During one of his interviews, he talked about having Trigger, Buttermilk, and Bullet stuffed, and with a smile said, "Now Dale Sleeps With One Eye Open"!

21. looks like the hotel from movie "some like it hot"?

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  22. doebling4

doebling4

fbi9c1 likes this.
  23. looks close. "and what kind of accent was that? nobody talks like that" sight-lines-cleared-some-like-it-hot.jpg i looked for a shot of the garage scene with the fuel pump. some cool cars in the beginning of that movie.

24. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Ya got to love those "Monkeys".[​IMG]

25. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Look at that, Larry Hovis, Seargent Carter of "Hogan's Heroes", wrote the screenplay. So obscure there isn't much info on it.

Kevin

loudbang likes this.
  26. That was the Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado California.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.