Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Taking it Back to as it Once Was...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Taking it Back to as it Once Was...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

LOU WELLS, Stogy, biggeorge and 2 others like this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

It wouldnt take much. Mostly wheels

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

I think the trend towards returning classic hot rods with a history to their previous state will continue and grow as we further our appreciation of the roots of hot rodding. This car would be a great one to include in that group.

36 ROKIT, Hotdoggin DaddyO and Nobey like this.
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Now we want it as it was.
    But back in the 90's it was just an old hot rod that needed to be 'modernized" to fit the times.
    Resto mod was just starting and Guards Red was the hot color.
    But to this crowd, give me some of that old rock and roll,,,,,,,

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Swap out the ugly assed wheels and dye the top insert white. Looks like it was red back in the day anyway, albeit a different shade (old mag covers didn't always represent the truest colors, so it's hard to say). Not sure what the engine or interior looks like but it wouldn't take a whole hell of a lot to get the outside turned around.

If I wanted to find this car and restore it back to it's original build, it's probably better to find it in this condition with unfortunate updates but very well kept, than it would be to find it untouched, but badly deteriorated from poor storage. Sadly, the untouched, deteriorated version would probably be much more highly regarded than this street rod makeover version, as-is.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

One of many cars that was better in it's original build appearance. I think most of us on the HAMB would agree that the original version is timeless and will always look good. That 90's look, not so much!

Hotdoggin DaddyO and Danekejt like this.
  7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Despite the unfortunate "updates"; I see a car that has been lovingly cared for and enjoyed. Unlike all too many once great cars this one is an easy fix for the purposes of us HAMBers.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and kiwijeff like this.
  8. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Hot Rods are like movies. The sequel is rarely better than the original.

9. adam401

adam401

I'd rather swap wheels and top insert than weld the bottom 6 inches back on it and have to sandblast 75% of it. That's a nicely kept car. The chicken coupe and long term storage finds are awesome but so much more work obviously

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The owner was a member of the Prowlers car club in San Diego and if I remember correctly, it sold for well under 50K at B-J. This is a thread that will polarize a lot of HAMB'ers. In my view, the very essence of hot rodding is constantly changing and improving the car. The Zipper in my avatar is 19 years old and is currently equipped with a Weber 32/36 carb that replaced a pair of English Strombergs that replaced a Mooneyes EFI and so on. Will the HAMB be a source of info on this car 10 years from now for a new owner? Who knows. While there are certain cars that have a pedigree fostered by publications in the fifties and sixties, not every hot rod needs to be brought back to "HAMB standards".

11. adam401

adam401

Make sure to stash the wheels though so when our grandkids want traditional 1990a hot rods they'll have the correct stuff to re re re hot rod it to period correct haha. I'm not even kidding if I found a pink and turqois bullet nose stude on boyds for cheap I'd tuck it away and preserve it. That was a time period too

Mikel50 and Kan Kustom like this.
  12. Jim Hassad

Jim Hassad

I am of the same opinion as denis4x4 in that "hot rodding" is always about change and improvement. The current "restoration" movement of vintage hot rods tends to overdue the true spirit of the original builders. I am one of those who have modified to some extent an "original" car, but it also personalized it for me, yet I have always given credit to the original builder (my father) for all the ideas and craftsmanship he produced. God bless this country that we are able to have these conversations. BTW, Ed Stewart was a good friend of my fathers and our roadster's T body was donated to my father by him. The chromed shifter lever for the '39 tranny has "SSS" etched on it for Stewart's Speed Shop! P1000644.JPG rdstr 1.JPG

13. Jim Hassad..You are one of the lucky ones.BUT.....95% of the HAMBERS now-a-days don't know who Ed Stewart is,,so many young smart asses here now.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  14. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

That particular old hot rod has a lot more history than most. A young Joaquin Arnett of the Bean Bandits chopped the top in the Stewart's back yard in '48. The lead photo is Lil' Axle winning the first Prowler's Rod-Ability Run as shown in Hot Rod mag Feb. '52. Bob then ran it 127+ mph with a flathead at the lakes and B-Ville when it was orange with a white top. Next long-time Prowlers historian Andy Bekich got it when in high school, dropped in a DeSoto Hemi, painted it a candy-like Ruby Maroon, and got it on the cover of a memorable "little" Car Craft, Apr. '59. After storing it 20 years, he "updated" it in the early '80s, drove it another 20-some years, then sold it at the '09 auction. I got plenty of stories and photos from both Stewart and Bekich when I included this car in my book Lost Hot Rods II.
    Pat Ganahl

15. Thanks Pat...a little history is great especially when it comes from you!!!!!!!!!
    an 83 yr old Hamber,Bob

KKrod, Hotdoggin DaddyO and kiwijeff like this.
  16. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'd change the wheels and leave the rest of it alone.I think that any other changes would come slowly and after much consideration.

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Of course the best/worst example is what happened to Grabowski's Kookie Kar after he sold it.

wbrw32 likes this.
  18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

It may have been changed from how it looked in the 50's. But at least it didnt get totally 90's smoothy with hidden hinges and other body mods. It could easily be put back.

Squablow likes this.
  19. If you squint your eyes, you can almost see it in all of its circa 1959 glory! :D ...

Bob Stewart Deuce Vicky.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  20. change is good and inevitable. making or adding to the history of a car is a good thing. my dad kept making changes to the hot rod, i made changes to it when he passed it down to me and we have since took it back to what his next change/upgrade may have been.......of course with a few minor upgrades sprinkled in.
    it could always be changed back or moved forward.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm one of the guilty for constantly changing my ride. One reason it never got totally finished.
    Still it wouldn't be hard to bring back the spirit of the original build while leaving some of the updates that came along the way. If it still has the Desoto Hemi that isn't a bad thing. Wheels are made to be unbolted and a wheel swap is probably a 30 minute deal after coming up with the right wheel tire combo. Hell have two or three sets of wheels and tires to fit the mood or the event or the length of the road trip. Many of us have walked though a Billetproof event and seen a highboy roadster with bias tires, steelies and caps that a couple of weeks earlier had a set of designer billets and radials at a Goodguys event.
    All the same that's a great looking car with a great stance and I hope who ever bought it at the auction didn't make wholesale changes in the wrong direction with it.

Roadster pu 1929 likes this.
  22. PRB

PRB
    from Az

Great Rod and fine story. Going back is still an 'update' so to hell with it you've satisfied everybody here.
    I like the original early look anyway...those modern spokes look like crap.
    Lol...'Bean Bandits' is a great handle for a club...nowadays you'd hurt someone's feelings lol.

23. A Boner

A Boner

^ Probably shitcan the spare tire too!

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How come the car looks like it's from Canada in a south park episode?

tfeverfred and Squablow like this.
  25. Hendee

Hendee

It would be great to know what has transpired with this one between 2009 and now. As most have said, it sure wouldn't seem hard to go "out with the new and in with the old" to get this one back closer to its past look. No matter, it's still a great looking Vicky with a sweet period chop.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. CBurne7

CBurne7

Everything in life is just a series of pendulum swings. Right now, people's tastes in older cars are swinging towards tradition, but with time I'm sure it'll be back the other way. There will always be people on both sides too.

27. :cool:Certainly I have changed my point of view over the years. I look at what I built in the late 60's and think really! Then in the 70's I built a sedan and put an automatic in it.:eek: Now that I am almost 70 my view is traditional all the way. In fact I am going to start a thread on "Things That Will Never Be On My Hot Rod" I do not profess to know what is correct but this is Hot Rodding so it is about individuality. But remember Back in the 40's and 50's not as much was available. To me that was a good thing!

tfeverfred likes this.
  28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Racers, hot rodders, and customizers were always changing things to be faster or cooler. If you just want a slice of life, freeze frame your build / car like it appeared / might have been on a specific date. Dull, but correct? Gary

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

During Super-bowl half-time, I picked up my new (to me) September 1948 issue of Hot Rod (a re-pop) that I got at the Ground Hog Gala yesterday. I got it mostly because that's the year and month of my birth. Hot Rod and I go way back, by luck or happenstance. Anywho, attached is one interesting letter to the editor I scanned for you, especially RE the disc brake question and the name of the fellow who submitted it. It's 1948, remember. Also in that issue, other interesting articles and advertisements, including a write-up on a 3 wheeled car and a front wheel drive race car. The new track record holder at Winchester, Dick Frazier, made the cover in his flathead powered T roadster - no roll bar, no gloves and a spiffy looking wrist watch. Another oval track photo shows a young and slim Andy Granatelli racing at Soldiers Field, Chicago. Just saying... Gary
    sep1948HotRod003a.jpg