Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. loudbang likes this.
  2. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Got April issue of Car Craft today.

Last page shows a pic from 1966, Dyer Maker wrote the names of his competition on the rear.

(Then x them out when he beat them.) ;)

Dyer Maker65.jpg

3. the undisputed king of that era.

loudbang likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

sep 13th, I might be there for that too :)

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

There's a couple MDA guys that will want to check out the "Drag Cars in Motion" thread for this:
    [​IMG]

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tickety Boo likes this.
  6. ...yup, real glad to see Hot Rod Drag Week comin back to our area,..I'll see you at Cordova and Byron...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    squirrel likes this.
  7. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

First timer here! A member of the East Coast Gassers, and will be running my big block powered 65 Nova, the Prime Suspect. Looking forward to racing, but not the 18 hour ride there! Anyone interested in a run, let me know!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. A little byron trivia to share.
    The mr.norm 65 dodge was involved in the first ever night race at byron. A rented aircraft search light was placed at the starting line. This was the only light used. His opponent that night was beswick. On that night like just like all of their match ups at byron during the 65 season the blown nitro fed dodge won. So the meltdown drags is more like 65 with rented lights than most realize

Swamp Rat 4, Saxxon, Gammz and 3 others like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

A closer shot that I posted in the AWB thread

[​IMG]

Swamp Rat 4, racer-x, DubG and 3 others like this.
  10. Byron will be rockin twice this coming season. The meltdown and drag week crowds will really help the track. My green machine will be at both along with several other hamb members. 20161101_085815.jpg

11. 62Furious

62Furious

Jeffro- so you put an artificial lung big tube headers and going with less gearing. That tells me that you over spent and need to save money on fuel. I hope for your sake that Scott doesn't beet you to badly with his shim spitting Shaker

Tickety Boo and Gammz like this.
  12. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think he's full of horse shit Bob....I think he's going from 4.11's to 4.56's or 4.88's,not down to some grocery gearing;)

Scott

13. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

It is true, I can't afford to go fast, plus going any faster would not be correct when you think about the era we are all tying to replicate. The new gears will help prolong the life of that little tired motor...

Plus, after two years of waiting for Scott I might just be getting a little bored... at this point if I can make it about 10 feet I think I will get the win...

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He might just be looking to out mile an hour you boys on the top end!
    Nothing but a big Maroon Okie Doker streak at the 1250 foot mark...
    Ludicrous Speed.jpg

loudbang and 62Furious like this.
  15. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Drops mic
    And I agree with your first statement. Glad to be a part of.

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  16. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's true....That's one thing I battled with when I was putting mine together:How fast is too fast to be semi-representative of the era we're shooting for?
    I ultimately got a little greedy,but figured it's easy enough to dial it back a little so it doesn't look too out of place.
    Plus,at non-Meltdown events I can whoop some ass occasionally:)

Scott

Gammz and rocketsled59 like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I never worry about being too fast for the era (I'm using mostly era correct parts). But I do have to watch out for being too fast for the safety rules.

loudbang, saltflats and Gammz like this.
  18. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Not a problem for me either I'm sure. Probably suck hind tit in k stock??

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  19. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Da Shaker with a Hans & Franz tune up. :rolleyes: Shaker.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  20. powrshftr

powrshftr

I never would have imagined it being a problem a few years back,dealing with home-ported C6 289 heads,stock cranks and rods,pretty conservative cam,and similarly conservative intake and carb,as well as street-style gearing.
    It was pretty close to the times of a similarly appearing well prepped stocker of the 65/66 era.

Once the domino effect kicked in,and we started gathering parts for a new "cheater superstock" motor with a bit more bore and stroke,better heads,pretty serious cam,and some real good flowing intake and exhaust,the power potential jumped up past where a serious 289 would have been treading back in the day.
    I was torn between building an ultra-high RPM/compression Superstock style 289 that would never be able to run on the street,and would relegate my car to strictly race-car status,or go the route we went,run a bit of carefully disguised aftermarket stuff,bump the power up a bit,while still being able to run around town to cruise nights,the A&W,pick the kids up from school,etc.

I picked the latter,which may not have been the perfect choice,but I can only afford one car,which has to do everything as well as possible.
    In reality,it's a compromise in every department,but we will try to have some fun with it this year,and give the fans something to remember aside from a delay keeping Saltflats from making a pass in that badass 409 car!lol!

Scott

DubG, rocketsled59, Gammz and 2 others like this.
  21. Saxxon

Saxxon

Too fast - I resemble that concern:
    Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would run deep into the 9's with the Scout. Even when I put the blower on it the concept was always to run close to - but not in the 9's. 10.20 seemed like the magic number. I wanted to go 9.99 just so I could say I did it but then back it off. But - I got seriously frustrated throwing money and time into the #$@!! carbs so when the opportunity to go with fuel injection came up I jumped in - really hard !! The change to alcohol just seemed the way to go... All these upgrades added up to far more than I expected and maybe even wanted... After the 9.78 in Meltdown, I made a soft pass in Rock Falls with 1-1 on the blower, a 1.67 - 60ft and easing into the throttle and it still went 10.05 / 130. I'm leaving the pulleys the way they are (1-1) and using that set up to get consistent with the tune and the launch. The plan is - sometime soon - launch hard off the trans brake and see what comes next.

loudbang, powrshftr and DubG like this.
  22. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scott, I think that your assessment nails the hot-rod objective of us teenagers from the sixties. Keep it street-able, if only barely.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You guys crack me up....Trying to slow your car down. I ain't faller for that no how no way.

24. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Me either lol you guys are correct though. But even with period parts the cars just run faster tire technology and track prep just make them faster with that said those guys back then were doing the same thing we are, trying to outrun the next guy with the best possible parts we can afford I'm my case that ain't much maybe I need to change trashcans to dig for parts lol

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jackson you stay away from my dumpster.

Gammz and loudbang like this.
  26. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

27. Its only fast enough when just the act of starting it will result in instant death. Then back it off a tenth. The drag week boys have a whole different set of issues. We have to balance speed and durability. Going fast is not a problem. Going fast and keeping it all together for 1200 plus miles brings on unique challenges. Im not sure yet if im doing the meltdown as a street car or drag car yet. If its a drag car i could take off about 150- 200 pounds of weight i would normally have during drag week.

Tickety Boo, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  28. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm just thinking about saving my butt... The Scout is built on a well seasoned stock frame with a front axle that has seen some abuse. Throw in an inherent desire to stay in one piece (as in - scared of it) and you tend to error on the cautious side.

Maybe my comments would better if I stated it as - too fast - too soon. I didn't exactly creep up on it. My first 2 passes at Meltdown last year were the 2nd and 3rd pass on the new combination and the net result was the Scout obliterating it's previous best times at the event by 20 mph and more than a second. (10.81 at 118 vs. 9.78 at 138). On the good side, the Scout handled well at that speed and still stops before the turn off. The launch - well - still needs work...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  29. 62Furious

62Furious

I know that I am not doing it like they did back when. I have collected a lot of aluminum over the years and am knocking on the 11's, But I have a thin wallet and no support teem. But at this time I an still trying to go faster.

loudbang, Gammz and powrshftr like this.
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Bob I though I was your support team.