Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 50 Chevy 2 door Styleline Delux

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokin Joe, May 22, 2014.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Out of the paint shop and into the Upholstery shop today. 112216B.jpg 112216A.jpg

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Today is my Birthday! Best birthday present from me, to me ever!
    For those that are wondering, the rear skirts are painted and sitting in the trunk. Got my 4 bar flippers today too.

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Got the mats and carpet off the floor today and down to the metal. NO RUST AT ALL!. I'm a happy camper. You'd never know this car spent it's entire life here in eastern Idaho. I'm pretty sure it was never driven in the snowy, icy, road salted winters during the 12 years it ran before getting parked in the shed in 1962.

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Latest update. Got the car home into the garage 2 weeks before X-Mas as it was starting to snow. Got 12 inches of snow that night. Been stuck there with the bad weather ever since. There's a berm of snow and ice right in front of the door so it isn't going anywhere soon. I got 4 bar cross wheel covers in a couple weeks ago and my wide white Cokers showed up today so next thing up is pulling tires and doing the tire swap soon as I feel up to it. At least I can do that without shoveling out that snow/ice bank. Was in the hospital ER Monday with crap in my lungs/ throat and sinuses. Getting better but still getting over it. Been trying to find a stalk and inside rear-view mirror to work with that 1 piece Olds windshield. Everyone has the mirrors but nobody has the mount. Anyway I need an Olds mount or one from like a 52 Chevy and the mirror to go with it. Anybody have one for sale? I'd rather deal with a HAMBER than EBAY.
    [email protected] or 208-520-4830 to contact me.

5. Great job so far sir. Looks good,also love the color. Are you going to have the upholstery match the exterior or something a bit more subdued? Also what engine and transmission are you going to run? And are you going to perform any other modifications to the body or no?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I like your Chevy, Joe. Just found this thread and will keep an eye on it. My son lives in the Ketchum metro area so the next time I'm over that way I'll be looking out for you in Idaho Falls.

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Ketchum Metro Area!!!! Not sure I would call it that. Even with all the rich Democrats and the Ski area sucking them in like a vacume cleaner from both coasts in the winter. Me, I'd rather have the thousands of elk that used to winter there before they starved them out to put in all the million dollar homes on their wintering grounds.
    Old School, right down to those ugly chrome screws holding on the door panels that your Daddy used on his high school hot rod or custom. LOL
    1206161245[1].jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Current plans are to keep the original 216 as long as it lasts. It's running just fine and not every car needs an LS or LT crate motor with a 6 speed automatic. I still like driving the 3 on the tree. I am putting in a stereo, but mostly I want this thing 50's not new street rod like every other car out there. It gets me to Cruise Nights and car shows where I can see everyone else's small block automatics so I'm good. Maybe I'll get a flame kit for the exhaust and some pinstriping. I haven't done flamed exhaust since 1968 or so. Maybe have Trixie put a Rat Fink on the trunk. The older I get the more Old School stuff appeals to me. I don't really feel the need for speed like I used to. I've mellowed out. Of course if someone gave me a 2000 hp Pro Mod setup I might change my mind and swap it in. Right now, at this time in my life, I'm just feeling Old School is Cool...LOL... We'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Lol yeah Joe, it aint my cup of tea either but he likes it there and my grandson is there so...

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Watched Jimmy Shine's car sell on Barrett Jackson this weekend and learned Pete Chaporis died a couple weeks ago... Feeling kinda bummed out right now. Like the world has moved on and left us behind.

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Tijuana High Rise. Mexican kid on a mule.

Time's passing, Watched Barret Jackson sell Jimmy Shine's car and found out Pete Chaporis died a couple weeks ago. Spend some time with that grandson...

s55mercury66 likes this.
  12. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Got out into the garage today to wire the headlights, turn signals and horn. Pulled the car cover back to get inside to do that and snapped these. Lighting thru the car cover made them look yellow, but it's really all white.
    int1.jpg int3.jpg

Ranchero59 likes this.
  13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Snow is gone. For now. Still not much sun.
    sun1.jpg sun2.jpg
    moons1.jpg
    1st Cruise Night. 42 degrees...
    1stCN.jpg

Ranchero59 and motoandy like this.
  14. Looking Really GREAT I like it without the Skirts but that just me
    the Car in my avatar is what I drive when the Weather is Decent
    I am hooking up electric windshield wipers now so I could drive
    in the Rain
    I love the Color of your Car.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Thanks. I still have the skirts sitting on the rear floor and back seat. Gonna drive it this way, at least for a while. STILL waiting for a day when the sun is out so I can take Non Overcast pics with a good backdrop. It snowed an inch or so again this morning, Dammit!

16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You should lower that thing !!!
    Nice wheel covers - the story about the 4 bars should be told ...
    That car looks SOOO much better without skirts.

17. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Originally I wanted to go with the Moons, then I was thinking the 4 bar wheel covers would give the car a little more sparkle and got the 4 bars. Got the wheels powdercoated with a killer red and took the wheels to Big O to get the whitewalls mounted. There was a mix-up and they did great mounting the tires but didn't put on the extended valve stems. The pic in front of the tire store was when I went back to get the longer valve stems installed. Then we found the 4 bars wouldn't fit. At cruise night we figured out that to run the 4 bars I would have to cut off the hub cap clips from my original 50 Chevy wheels. They stick up just far enough to interfere with the wheelcovers. So I went back to my first plan and put on the Moons. Looking at it now I think I made the right choice. It keeps with the smooth design of the car and no one here in town is running Moons. I'm on 24 hr oxygen, and I already set my moustache on fire once on this car with grinder sparks and didn't want to chance it again, besides, I can still go back to original hub caps and trim rings if I ever get a wild hair up my ass... ;)

Ranchero59 likes this.
  18. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

As for lowering the car. I did lower it a couple inches with blocks and cut coils. Low as I can go and still climb into and out of my driveway or bang my teeth together at every crack or sewer cover. This is Idaho, we have deep pot holes you can go swimming in. Only way to go lower would be to bag it and I don't have the money, health or skills for that. Using a blue flame wrench under a car in my driveway is something I just can't do anymore. I could go with the 24 inch tall tires instead of the 27 tall tires to get another 1.5 inches, but then the tires would look small in the wheel wells and I would scrape the bottom of the car every time I leave the driveway. Even now I have to park next door and to walk to the parts store because I can't clear their speed bumps even at a 45 degree angle. Anyway it drives pretty good at this height and doesn't bottom out the springs most of the time.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Ranchero59 likes this.
  19. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

sunny1.jpg synny2.jpg Sunshine...

s55mercury66 likes this.
  20. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

And 2 hours after the last 2 pics when I got to Cruise Night. That Liquid Sunshine on the car came from a BIG hail storm I had to drive thru to get there. Nothing like spring time in Idaho. Dumped again on the way home. I used to call the car "Pat". Short for Patina... Needs a new name now...
    sunny3.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    302GMC likes this.
  21. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I USED to call the car "Pat", short for patina. Seems it needs a new name now...:rolleyes:

22. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Memorial run at Scotties. 44/50 degrees and 30/45 mph wind, but the sun came out.
    interior1.jpg scotties2.jpg

Attached Files:

23. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

24. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I left the steering wheel cracked and unpainted to remind me of what this car was when I started...
    Life is a highway, I did it My way, on and on...;)