Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to un-ugly a 1946 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, May 23, 2016.

1. I'm running 7.50 16 and 6.00 16 firestones on this car

2. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Chis, do you have to run tubes? what is you rim widths? Thanks again for the info.

3. I run tubes in mine. These wheels are 16x4 up front and 16x4.5 in the back

4. Figured I should update this. I'm the middle of a dropped axle, and have an appointment for Feb made to have the upholstery finished. So I'm doing things like rewiring dome lights and putting a speaker in the package tray (I do want a radio in this car...will have one speaker in dash and one speaker rear) before it goes to the upholsterers. I also had the steeeing column and all garnish moldings plated because I hate money

IMG_3638.JPG IMG_4324.JPG

5. Very nice Chris ! Happy Holidays !

6. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Looks great! I also been really hating money lately.

Blue One likes this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Hi, Chris,
    You do nice work ! Those cars wear additional interior chrome well. Doing the complete dash = huevos grande ... I did a complete '46 Chev panel dash with a red GMC gauge cluster, & it was a knockout. The only glare problem I ever had was going home at sunrise after drinking all night ...
    Almost brings tear to my eyes remembering when I was 12 - 15 years old, and there must have been half a dozen of '46 -'48 coupes , a couple Mercs, & another dozen Tudors, converts, & a Fordor with no door handles & a Studebaker motor ... by '60, everybody was going "dump the front", so most of them were running 15'' rubber - 8.20 Royal Masters on Chrysler wheels were the hot setup with 5.60s & Port-a-walls up front. Baldies had taken the place of spinners, except for a couple Starfire holdouts.

509garyd and Chris like this.
  8. I got all my moldings put together and installed, as well as the chrome column. Finally fit and trimmed the carpet as well with new sill plates. And got the dropped axle buttoned up this weeekend. Installed rear matching seat belts for the kids, and have an appointment made to have the rest of the interior finished next month

IMG_0770.JPG IMG_0982.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1026.JPG

9. I have also been wanting to run Fiesta caps, but keep the 16" wheels. I had a plan to attach the caps to 16" trim rings, but the caps won't fit the shape of the wheel. Which is a bummer because I really liked the look. I have seen a set of aftermarket 16" fiestas that I would love to located a set. But who knows if I will ever find them. I think it does look bitchin

IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0817.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  10. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Looks great Chris! Still going to do the 283?

11. verde742

verde742

I would want red rims, to match red in the grille, just a line around hubcaps, course I am old, and that's how we did it "back in the day " (west coast)

Late to the Party likes this.
  12. upload_2017-1-23_11-18-56.png

Bitchin'!! Ray-Bans optional!

509garyd and Chris like this.
  13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Love the Olds caps!

brad2v likes this.
  14. I actually do plan on red wheels, especially if I run a full wheel cover

Here is a set of old aftermarket "Fiestas" made for 16" wheels. This is what I want. I'm trying to swing a deal with the owner of these, but so far have not. If anyone knows of a set (or something similar), I'm a buyer

IMG_0890.jpg

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and brad2v like this.
  15. Yes, but I may have to limp the car through another summer before it gets that. I have not started building it yet.

16. brad2v

brad2v

It looks terrific. Love the Fiestas

17. donno21

donno21

Chris, did you do the carpet or have it done locally? I ask because I've been looking at a kit.

18. No, I actually had a full interior made for my 41 convertible, including this carpet, but robbed it for the 46 coupe. Note it goes up on the firewall and rear seat riser as well

This coupe shares the same floor pan as convertibles

19. Thanks I'm really trying to find a way to do it. I could just run 15's on wider rims (which would be more correct anyways), but I just do not like the way the smaller, more square tire sizes look on these cars. Its gotta be really low to pull it off and my car is not that low. Plus I don't want to drop another grand on tires haha

20. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Digging those Olds caps. Are you going to paint the centers or run them polished? Good luck with the current owner of the caps.

21. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

But Chris, You said you hate money.

22. If I run them, I will paint the appropriate white areas.

brad2v likes this.
  23. You got me there haha

24. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Looking fantastic buddy.

25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

One word to describe your car, your taste and your work...
    Class.

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Installing the original fender stainless will make those fenders pop. I'd then call it done.

Gary

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Spoggie likes this.
  27. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I have a friend whose creed is "Don't let $500 keep you from having a nice car" ;)
    In your case it would be x2 for the new tires. :confused::rolleyes:
    BTW, your car is terrific, and you've done an awesome job on it.

28. It's still very cold out here, so I take stuff into my basement when I can to work on. I bought a new set of stainless grill bars, the ones on the car are pretty banged up. Got out my brush and painted the red detail last night

IMG_1096.JPG

29. The interior on this is mind numbing. Congrats dude, overkill chrome rules!