Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fastest you've ever been?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewid, Nov 26, 2004.

1. KC NASCAR track my daughter gave me a drive in a real race car for my birthday. Ten laps and I am the driver with a ride along pro. Was a total blast for sure...After my track time was over I ask the ride along pro how dam fast this thing will go and he said 168 MPH. To that I ask how fast did we take it to. He said you had it at 168 in both the straight aways....Dam that was fun. I know I had my foot to the floor a lot.....

Deuces and mgtstumpy like this.
  2. thunderplex

thunderplex

According to the driver, around 160 mph in a 1967 427/425 4-speed vette heading south bound on I-75 between Moores Mill Rd. and Howell Mill Rd. (That was back in 1967 when I-75 was 2 lanes in both directions. Now it's five lanes wide..!!!)

Deuces and stealthcruiser like this.
  3. trollst

trollst

Lakeview Oregon, 1978, Yamaha 1100, I'd never opened it up ever. Nobody around, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, decided the road was straight enough, smooth enough, I was starting my annual bike trip, what the hell? At 125 or so I was getting worried, still more left in the bike, but not more left in me, that is damned fast on two wheels when nobody else is around, chopped the throttle, whizzed by (technical term) something black and white. Coasted over to a stop and waited, sure enough, I had some splainin to do, cop was interested in my bike, turns out he rode and was going to buy one like it, wanted to know how fast it went. Told him I didn't know, he told me it would do 125, that he knew, anything more than 70 was considered dangerous driving, had to impound the bike and toss me in the car, but he wasn't going to do that, got me for 68 miles an hour, fine was large. Wished me a good trip, told me to make sure I paid it, and........I never went back. Never paid it, young and foolish, watched my ass when in Oregon, always meant to pay it but the days went by and I'm old now. True story.

Bruce Fischer and lowrd like this.
  4. robracer1

robracer1

Got to 149 at Road Atlanta, new track in my old 2001 C5 vette street car built for track days

5. mountainman2

mountainman2

Not the fastest I've ever been but the most stupid speed feat......90 MPH in a stock 57 Ford........ON a railroad track!

Randall and 1927graham like this.
  6. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

102 on a straight-as-a-string-for-miles stretch of (IIRC) Carretera Federal 2 somewhere southeast of Mexicali, in an O/T '74 Coupe deVille.
    On topic, 90 in a '64 Imperial Crown on premium gas with a can of racing additive (containing oil of merbane) some hot rodder in Monrovia gave me. This was on the westbound 210 east of Pasadena; and no, I really should NOT have been doing that.

7. 30 on a Whizzer is fast, almost scarry fast. :D They still had Clincher wheels as I recall. :eek:

1927graham likes this.
  8. 135 IIRC in a late model Challenger R/T coming home from work. Road surface was so bad the car was trying to become air born. It was like the opening scene of the original Gone in 60 Seconds with HB Halicki driving that big Caddy floating along at well over 100. Luckily just got pinched on a "slow" day only doing 90 in that same 55. Getting rid of that car was probably one of the smartest decisions I've made in my life. Shoulda opened up the car more but I was exhausted to the point of nodding off while driving and pulling in at a rest stop to get an hour sleep at a time on my way home from a trip to VA. Going over the Appalachian mountains at 120 in OD with cruise control on an empty interstate at midnight was pretty cool, though.

9. Fastest I've driven a car was a slant 6 '62 Valiant stationwagon, trying to get away from a guy in a pickup who was chasing me and my two buddies, Dave and Larry, after Larry threw an egg out the window and into the cab of a truck going the other way. Car got up to 85 mph on a two-lane, hilly country highway. After about 4 miles, we encountered 3 cars in front of us doing 55 mph speed limit. I tried to pass on a hill, saw a mercury meteor heading straight for us in the oncoming lane so I hit the brakes and guided the car into the ditch on the left, down then up into the air over a barbed wire fence and into a cornfield where we were hidden by the time we came to rest. No injuries, no damage to the car, heart pounding. We could see the pickup slowing down and looking around, then pulling into a nearby driveway, turning around and leaving. We stayed hidden in that field for 30-45 minutes before venturing out. Had to cut the fence. Been a safe, cautious driver ever since. Dave died in his early 30s of a heart attack; Larry died at 59 of a brain tumor. I'm still here at 67. We all came close to dying at 19. Dumb luck.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

11. adam401

adam401

12. rgdavid

rgdavid

173 mph on my ex ducati 996s,
    On a super straight country road at 8 oclock one evening,
    Ill never do that again.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Maybe I should show the car, Real Nostalgia Racing ! 2012-08-31 141936.jpg

14. spot

spot
    from usa

About 110 in a 70 ford bronco on 31" tires. That was about 25 years ado when I was not so smart. The little 302 was still pulling but my foot got scared. 125 in the passenger seat of my wife's sl500. She's got a lead foot. I'm sure that car had more but traffic was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Bluestone

Bluestone

.... + 500 mph .... backseat of BAE Systems Hawk trainer jet aircraft ... :p

16. Moselli

Moselli

437 miles per hours. May 1969 on a B-52 sortie somewhere in Nebraska at about 100 feet above a cornfield. Didn't get pulled over or ticketed. SAC pilots rock!

As part of a calibration and check of our Low Level T/A system capability we would go down (on the deck - Air Force lingo) and make a run over the flat terrain. Felt like we were driving down a highway, really, really fast. Was a good opportunity to put the "throttles to the thrustgate and see what this baby would do", as we used to say.

Had to be a life experience for any of the farmers that were out in the fields that day...

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Might have posted this before, but not looking thru 49 pages lol... A little over 150, just going into 4th (of 5) in my buddies' original race GT40 #P1009, original privateer race car with a pretty extensive race history, around midnite, no plates, no mufflers, Tecalemit Jackson injected 289. Still had the LeMans gears in it, 70 in first, 120 in second, load your pants in third, run out of road in fourth. Bundle of snakes with megaphones sound REAL good pulling thru second

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

LMAO!!!

19. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

20. Went 300 mph in Paul Stender's jet-powered "School Time" school bus.
    IMG_1725.JPG IMG_1728.JPG IMG_1723.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    adam401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg I always liked a guy who had a little proof. Most guys I know seemed to go faster as they got older. " The older I get the faster I went" as the quote goes. Here's mine.

1927graham, 33essex and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made it all the way up to 41 on the freeway this morning.

1927graham and 1CoolRide like this.
  23. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

usfra 384.jpg
    updated, at world of speed sept. 2012 I went. 197 in the mile with an exit speed of 205

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  24. Went 65 mph in my WWI Spad replica and watched a loaded dump truck pass me on the highway!!
    IMG_3536.JPG IMG_3526.JPG

25. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

reminds me of the 72 honda z50 i was given as a teenager... it had burned a couple times... I cleaned it up and got it running. never that great so I parked it. tore it down and rebuilt the whole thing... stretched it 3" moved the seat, bigger honda gorilla tank bigger motor etc... thing only seemed to come out at midnite when I was drinking. had it on GPS doing 55 on 8" wheels on my 25mph street with no helmet... dont even want to know what it would do if I had swapped sprockets. sold it at a swap meet to some kid (ironically he was also drunk at the time of purchase) who was in a minibike club and was tired of getting beat by his buddies.

still fastest under my own power was ~140mph in a midget on a track. crack the throttle on corner entry then back to the firewall. thompson motor speedway

26. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Try going almost 50 MPH on one.

27. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, but they weren't have anywhere near the fun you were!:)
    Love open cockpit planes! :)

28. 2935ford

2935ford

A little over 100mph late nite LA freeway!

29. Retrorod

Retrorod

A ride in an F-4 when I was stationed at Alameda Naval Air Station in 1968...after training in that ejection seat training simulator at NAS Lemoore. The ejection seat trainer was scarier than the actual ride from NAS Alameda to NAS North Island. I got a gift of 15 laps at Fontana Speedway a few years ago...just over 160 mph. On Rt. 58 between Barstow and Mojave my 2008 HHR SS (2.0L) ran a GPS verified 138 mph. My '35 sedan???...it went 106 mph at the old Palmdale LACR strip just before they plowed it up.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  30. 3340

140 something in a v12 jaguar 2 lane road stay in for about 2 miles, telephone poles look like fence poles.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.