Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for help identifying open car doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fletty999, Jan 14, 2017.

1. fletty999

fletty999
    from Australia

Hello Hambers,

I recently purchased a stack of open car doors here in Australia looking for model A ford parts, but there were none in there. Back in the 20s here in Australia they imported cars from all over the world (Mainly commonwealth countries, but also USA and European) and now I have to figure out what I have bought to hopefully move them on to someone who really needs them. Can anyone with the knowledge help me out? I am pretty sure also that none of them are Chevrolet, as I bought them from a guy who was building a 28 chev tourer and he said they came with it. They are all wooden framed doors, no steel inner skins, so they may be early 30s too.

I have 6 doors, one has 26 rugby written on it and I have looked up images to confirm that it seems to be a 1926 rugby Durant open car front door:

[​IMG]

There is another door that looks like a 28 Chevrolet door because it has the 'z' swage line between the top and bottom line, but a chev has that feature in the cowl and this is in the door.

[​IMG]

There is another door with a small swage line at the top:

[​IMG]

There are two doors (front right and back left) from a phaeton that have one swage line in them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and there is a 6th door that is a reskinned wood frame that has no swage lines so I don't think I'll ever figure out what that is.

[​IMG]

Can anyone help with some leads?

Thanks,
    Fletty999

2. bump up for our buds across the pond !

3. fletty999

fletty999
    from Australia

Thanks for the bump! I've been getting some expert help and I have so far figured out:

The handle positions and the shape of the curve in the rear door convince me that the pink ones are from a 1927 Essex Super Six tourer:
    [​IMG]

And that swage that curves down at the start of the door is very similar to a Chrysler coupe from 1928 but the Chryslers are a straight line so I think that the green one is from a 1928 whippet tourer:
    [​IMG]

And I am thinking that the rustiest one may be from a 1925 dodge tourer:
    [​IMG]

Anyone with a 25 dodge out there I can bounce some door measurements off?

4. Squablow

Squablow

Not meant to hijack, but I have a pair of aluminum roadster/touring doors that I haven't been able to ID, in your search to find yours have you seen anything similar? They have no body lines so that makes it tougher, but they're aluminum, have a unique handle and the handle is almost right in the middle of the height of the door instead of on top.

Doors are tricky to ID like this.

IMG_3918.JPG IMG_3917.JPG

5. fletty999

fletty999
    from Australia

No Idea on the aluminium doors, only really see aluminium on custom built race cars in that time period over in Australia as far as I know. Thanks for the thread hijack.

OK I thought the pink doors where 1927 Essex, but they do look like 1926 Chrysler.

So below are some closer pictures of the pink doors:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sides of front door:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sides of back door:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tops of doors (they have two holes in the tops of each door that seem to have metal sleeves in them):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dimensions (not exact):

rear door: 22" across the top, 145" across the bottom, 21" up front edge, 10" up back straight edge

front door: 23" long, 21" tall

Anyone able to verify if they are Chrysler or Essex?

6. scotts52

scotts52

Squablow
    I believe Franklin had aluminum bodies. You might look at those.

7. fletty999

fletty999
    from Australia

OK, I have been told that the pink doors are probably 1924-26 Chrysler Model B or G because of the two holes in the tops of each door, which have brass inserts in them for the side curtains.

8. Old Pierce-Arrows also had alum bodies