Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Plymouth Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Dodge Pickup, Jan 29, 2015.

1. I also had enough time to rough out the inner fender when I bought the car it didn't have any inner fenders. Please ignore the weld in section I made a mistake and cut that out then welded it back gotta love metal work you can always repair your mistakes. Ha Ha. I am planning on trying to louver this panel should be challenging and fun I am looking forward to this! Hobo Jim
    IMG_2707.JPG

1947knuck likes this.
  2. I would like to Thank Brent for this amazing tech week thread! I used his idea to make these louvers here is a link to his thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...d-punched-louvers-with-a-stone-chisel.994604/ My Louvers came out Great here is a pic of the layout for the 1 1/4 x 3 inch louvers with the 17/64th holes drilled.

IMG_2708.JPG

This next pic is the completed layout ready for the slits to be cut with an 1/8th inch cut of wheel in a hand grinder the holes give you positive stop so you don't over cut.
    IMG_2709.JPG
    This is after the louver has been formed with a stone chisel a 5 pound hammer and a sand bag.

IMG_2710.JPG
    This is a pic of the finished product after cleaning up the edges with a small file. Once again I want to give Brent all the credit for this Great tech idea!
    IMG_2711.JPG

3. 51cambridge

51cambridge

4. Thank you 51 Cambridge I really like this and it's amazing how easy it really is! I wish I had a more visible place for them I will be thinking of something.

1947knuck likes this.
  5. 51cambridge

51cambridge

Scooterville likes this.
  6. That is so cool what magazine is that? I want t buy some copies!! Thank you for posting this I really appreciate it!! Hobo Jim

7. 51cambridge

51cambridge

8. I will have to try and find that magazine I definitely want some copies. Thanks again for the information.

9. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

11. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Jim---Can't thank you enough for your help on Saturday. Also can't tell you enough how impressed I am with your work on the 37. Just goes to show what a hot rodder can do when he sets his mind to it. Great job all the way around!

lc

12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Me too! I should be done buying parts soon. I am currently joining the list of the Special AOK manifold's to buy a couple for my flatheads first. Then I will begin stripping my frame and start my thread after I get my awning built.

Until then, I will keep surfing here to keep inspired.

-Jack

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I have been working on finishing the front seat did all the prep and primed earlier this week then shot final color yesterday. Today I sanded and buffed the finish, I am learning how to paint so far its a lot like learning to weld in welding you get good with a grinder and with painting you get good with sandpaper Ha Ha! Here's some pic's I think it came out exactly like what I was looking for it's a really great feeling when you finish something that you have done all the work on! Hobo Jim
    IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

Here is a pic of the inner fender mocked up in primer I really like the louvers.

IMG_2716.JPG

I also made a door panel I am not sure if I want to go with wood covered with a material or a custom metal panel.

IMG_2715.JPG

14. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

16. HiHelix

HiHelix

Very nice work goin on here...

17. Thank you HiHelix I am always honored to receive compliments especially on the HAMB that has the best builders in the World! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  18. Hey I just wanted to give some publicity to an Alliance Vendor E Z Cool. They are listed under Automotive Insulation if you are looking for them. I purchased a roll of their insulation for my project the shipping was fast and the product is Great to work with! Below are some pictures of the mocked up insulation I still have to glue it down.
    IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG
    I also ordered a Tuck Puck these things are Great for metal shrinking and take up no space I usually would go with the traditional stump, but room is a consideration and you are still hand shrinking the metal. here is a link and a pic of my Tuck Puck http://www.tuckpuck.com/
    IMG_2720.JPG

1947knuck likes this.
  19. 51cambridge

51cambridge

That's on my too do list some day. That transmission really heats up the floors.

My 51 Plymouth https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYi16sG

20. I highly recommend this company Great communication and really nice product. Comes with tape knife and applicator cuts really easy with scissors. Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  21. Rocket Man 57

Rocket Man 57

Just went through the whole thread. I'm going to have to get in my garage and beat the snot out of some scrap metal and see what I can come up with.

22. I am glad I was able to inspire you Rocket Man 57 and I am honored that you liked the thread! More to come Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  23. OK so I had to try out my Tuck Puck and try my hand at metal shrinking. I started with a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal, yeah I know that's heavy metal. After trying several hammers with no luck I finally went with a heavy ball peen hammer and the metal started shrinking really nice and easy. I had lots of tucks forming and then I went to the planishing hammer to smooth out the walnut size dents. Here is a picture of what I ended up with, not to bad for my first time. I have to clean up the edges to make it true, but overall not a bad circle.

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  24. I was looking at the engine bay and I noticed how ugly the factory holes and frame where so I bent up some metal to cover this area. Still needs finishing, but its a huge improvement this will be painted the same cream color as the firewall gives the engine bay a smooth look. Here is the before picture.
    IMG_2725.JPG
    Then the after like I said still needs work, but you can see where I'm going with this Hobo Jim
    IMG_2721.JPG

1947knuck and tb33anda3rd like this.
  25. Rocket Man 57

Rocket Man 57

Looking good. Where does one get one of those fancy pants zebra striped air filters?

26. Ha Ha yeah I love that !! I found it at Wal Mart I needed something to keep the dust and other derbies out of my carb and that shower cab just was to cool? not to buy! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  27. After a day of fighting an old suspension in an attempt to lower the front of the car's ride height I finally was able to claim victory! I will post some pics after I get the drivers side done. But the first look is this was worth the effort. I need to make a parts run but the sawzall was definitely my friend today. I was able to drop the crown of the bottom lip of the fender from 27" to 25 1/2" but I have to do the drivers side to level the car and get an accurate measurement. Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  28. I finished the drivers side today I am happy with the height it went from 27" to 25 1/8" at the lower crown of the passenger fender. I will wait a week or so to give it time to settle in before making any decisions on going lower. For know here is how its sitting.

IMG_2729.JPG
    IMG_2728.JPG

1947knuck and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. 51cambridge

51cambridge

30. yeah I agree, but I still have to set the fender in its final position. This will cause the fender to be raised a little so I may have to lower the ride height to maintain the look. Thank you for your comment always Good to hear from you! Hobo Jim

1947knuck and 51cambridge like this.