Register now to get rid of these ads!

intake and fuel question

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by canadianal, Nov 20, 2016.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Are those two 1Vs? Very sweet setup.

Full disclosure: I have a SuperPro car (my avatar car) that runs 9.00s @ 147 mph. It has a cylinder head that flows about one hundred cfm more than a stock head, along with 13.4:1 compression and a big roller cam. A few years ago I decided to try downsizing the three 500 cfm 2Vs that I had been running thinking it couldn't possibly need all that carb. So I meticulously machined up three 350 cfm Holley 2Vs, adding 500 base plates, taper boring the venturiis to mate up the 500 throttle plates to the 350 venturiis. It ran slower than the 500s everywhere - 60 ft times, split times, trap speed yadda, yadda.

Hmmmm?

So I then reasoned, "if smaller went slower, try bigger." So I made a piloted reamer to open up the venturiis on the three 500s to around 540 cfm each. That is when the car ran its fastest, quickest times. It all boils down to what the engine demands. I've seen all-out racing 300 ci V8s use a Dominator. And those three 540s flow about the same as a Dominator so that seems to fit.

2. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I forgot to mention that my 4 bbl is a 390 CFM Holley. I mounted it 90° to allow for even fuel distribution. For whatever it is worth, this was my only mode of travel for 8 years. I drove it 20-30,000 miles a year and traveled cross country with the car. No issues, 18-25 MPG, and the spark plugs always looked great during my tune ups. I noticed that my previous post was overlooked. But then, I am running a slant six, not a Chevrolet. My 250 in my Nova never was as reliable and much more difficult to tune with the 4 BBL on it. I am guessing that the different cylinder head designs might explain why the Plymouth was more forgiving and easier to dial in....

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. bobw

bobw

classiccarjack, I'm sure your post was read with interest by the few people who visit the HA/GR section. There's no bias toward Chevys. I've got a 300 Ford 6, Old 6 rodder has a slant, and so on. The slant 6 I pulled out of my dragster will be going in a T bucket-type roadster in a year or two.

Speaking of over carburation, in the Leo Santucci book on Chevy sixes there's an engine with 3-4 barrels on it and apparently it was a real player in its time.

classiccarjack likes this.
  4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

They must have spun the Rev's really high in order to utilize 3 4bbls.... I put a larger carb on my slant six, and lost a lot of bottom end power, but when I spun it up towards the top end, it really seemed to go. But needing this car to get me to work, and to drive it every single day, the 390 CFM ran the best for my application. Thank you Bob for your response.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

i have my intake off for the winter season I am designing a water jacket that will run the length of the intake across the side of it. i would have preferred to be under it but the exhaust interferes .I plan on running water through the jacket in turn heating the intake. well see how it goes in the sprig when its done i will post some pics later

Attached Files:

6. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

7. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

got my intake back from the welder nice water jacket and welds will clean it up and get it back on the car will report this spring it it helps DSCF9388.JPG DSCF9389.JPG DSCF9391.JPG DSCF9392.JPG