Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stone, Woods, & Cook

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by surfpuma, Jan 19, 2017.

1. surfpuma

surfpuma

I noticed that on their Willys B & A/G cars they used 40-41 Ford headlights. Why not use the original Willys headlights and bezels?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. This is your introduction??!!:rolleyes:

lothianwilly71 and X38 like this.
  3. how long is a piece of string?

X38 likes this.
  4. thunderplex

thunderplex

Welcome to the HAMB. I see you've already met the "Introduction Police". Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm sure sombody will soon chime in with the correct answer.

5. surfpuma

surfpuma

Sorry everyone, rookie mistake. I have been reading the Journal for a while now.

My name is Joe. I live in San Diego. I have a stock 1955 Chevy 210 with the Del Ray package. It has been repainted and has newer wheels, but stock 235 with a glide and stock interior. Vehicles owned in the past 56' F100, 67 Chevrolet, & 68 Chevrolet.
    Grew up in the Pacific NW. My dad drag raced in the 60-70's. We have been attending Nostalgic Reunions together - we did Bakersfield this past year.

turboroadster and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Welcome, Joe..........Love your '55. More pictures would be very cool........Don.:)

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  7. Hello and welcome to the H.A.M.B. enjoy your ride!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. as to the headlights on SWC Willys...I believe they are stock ..many headlight rims back in those days looked very similar.

9. caton462

caton462

Welcome. There were several cars. I think one of the earlier ones did have Ford bezels. It also had grille bars like you would get from Honest Charlie's and nice two toned upholstery, was shown at custom shows. Might have been previously owned by K S Pittman.

10. 20161024_155908.jpg In the versions I believe you are talking about they are not Ford or a stock WILLYS light. They are an aftermarket conversion to sealed beams from back in the day. Even back then finding original parts was a bit of a challenge and sealed beams were better than the multiple piece asm from the factory in visibility. Remember in the early days of the gas classes you had to have working lights, bumpers, two seats and interior. In the first version of the light blue Swindler, the car was done in the Barris shop and the grille bars were made of chromed exhaust tubing. The original front end is in a private museum. K.S. Pittman drove the car before Doug Cook but never owned it. It's history is well documented. It used to live a couple of towns over for years. Last I heard it was in Milwaukee at the Harley-Davidson museum on loan. You can see a stock WILLYS light on the primer car on the right.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    surfpuma and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. ^^^^^^What he said^^^^^

12. surfpuma

surfpuma

It was always something that I was curious about. Those after market ones looked similar to the Fords. I just assumed it was easier to find Ford parts vs Willy's.

I knew the stock Willy's headlights were multiple pieces. I figured it was a safety thing or that with the later fiberglass front ends the stock headlight assemblies were a pain to mount. The sealed beams and having the fact they had to be working lights makes sense. Thank you for all the responses and info!