Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need opinions on my 1959 chevy 3800

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ckunsman89, Jan 20, 2017.

1. ckunsman89

ckunsman89
    from cocoa, FL.

20170114_144151.jpg 20170107_113502.jpg I purchased this 59 apache a couple weeks ago and absolutely lobe the truck. I drive it every day and plan to continue so. The stock drivetrain leaves a bit to be desired though with the 235, saganaw 4 speed, and 5.13 rear. I already have a rebuilt 14 bolt out of a cab and chassis with 3.73 that matches width to install, but i just dont think the stock 235 will have the grunt to pull the gear in 4th. I also hate the thought of altering such an original truck, but have a rebuilt 4.3 with flat top pistons and a .500 lift cam with a rebuilt th350 in the shop that would make this truck a really fun daily and would allow me to install an under dash ac system this summer. Opinions? Thoughts? My wife says i should build the truck to drive because thats why i bought it and save all the original parts for the future, dont cut any factory crossmembers and bolt the new crossmembers to the frame to allow removal if i choose to restore to original in the future.

2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

you better get something with a little more grunt, 292.

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. but then what would you have......like he said ^^^^^ a 292 or a GMC 6.....you could go find a forum that deals with up grades.....just saying....

4. squirrel

squirrel

I had a 57 single wheel one ton, it came with a wore out 283, granny 4 speed (it's a Muncie, not a Saginaw), and 5.14 gears. I also swapped in a 3.73 14 bolt, and then replaced the motor with a mild 454. Worked great. Still an old truck, though! The 262 is not a real powerhouse...my wife has one in her late model silverado, and it is fine if there's no trailer behind it, but when towing, it can't pull a hill to save it's life.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Keep it 100% stock, and buy another to build for fun cruising. Be really Cool lowered, V8, etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Whatever you do don't change the look. I absolutely think this truck looks great! I will second Squirrel's thoughts about the 262 4.3. My daily Silverado has 4.3 and it's fine with just the truck by itself but if you put a trailer behind it or hit a head wind it struggles to do speed limit and climb long grades. Albeit the speed limit up here on the interstate is 75 and 85 once you get out of town.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

It depends how far you want to drive and how much heat you can stand. Yes, your engine from the factory is a 235 unless it was a special order with a 261, both engines were made until '62 when Chevy remodeled their 6's to 250-262-292 and such. I have rebuilt my '55 truck and I only upgraded it with Fenton 2x1 intake and Fenton dual exhaust. I do have the higher gearing by running 8.25 x 20's. I have driven my truck up to 60 to 90 miles on a couple trips (one way) It will travel 60 mph but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to rpm but it is singin'. I haul the gasser enclosed most of the time, it weighs 3000 but the truck hauls it well when I do haul it on shorter trips. I run dual straight pipes and my wife won't ride in it anymore, she says it is too loud and too hot.
    The 262 would still be turning the same rpm if you don't change rearend, Either way if you want lower gears you will have to change rearend which will be a good thing with either engine. I'm just sayin' I don't think you will be getting that much more engine with the 262, 27 cubic inches is only 10% more than 235.

8. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

10. How about installing your 3.73 axle, then go with a 5.9 Cummins and a 5 speed overdrive manual transmission? Fuel mileage, pulling power and cool factor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

My opinion, it is what it is. I would just drive and enjoy. I think you will find there is always a use for a real truck. That is doubly so if you get a project vehicle in the future.
    If you must modify it, a 5 speed can adapted to the 235. This will give you overdrive but still allow the low ratio for truck work.

12. Good idea. ^^^

If mine I would probably stuff a hard pulling small block in it because I usually have one and loose the granny 4 speed unless I was going to pull stumps with it but a 292 with the old 4 gear would make it a very versatile truck. @mr.chevrolet has given very good advice here.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

327 Chev - it bolts into your truck, everything fits as is ... as much as I like the 235-261 6 cyl. Chev., it isn't going to do the job as well as the V8 in this case.

14. I think a T-5 trans conversion and keeping the 235 and 5.13 rear would give you what you want. The OD 5th would enable cruising at enough speed without the engine sounding like it is coming apart. With a tow load, just don't use 5th and take life a bit slower. Nice truck you found.

I will add though, a SBC swap would not really give much different mpg. You have certain amount of air resistance and weight, that takes a given amount of power to overcome. The power comes from the gas, and either 235 or SBC has to make that amount. The difference is the SBC has more reserve power available, for when climbing a hill or accelerating a freeway on ramp.

Racer29 likes this.
  15. mattssimpson

mattssimpson

Is that the original eight lug front end on there with drum brakes ? I have the same truck and want to put disc brakes on it if possible. I bought a c&c rear axle with 4.10 gears in it. Does this truck have an ebrake hooked up to the rear wheels ?