Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Color Sanding Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Jan 20, 2017.

1. belair

belair

since winter is taking the day off, I thought I would get a jump on spring and get my truck closer to buffing. I am about to color sand the bc/cc. There is some orange peel and the obligatory run or two. Any way, my question is do you use a sanding block or go commando? I would like to hear you opinion on what grits to use, and any tips you care to offer. Forgive the 17s, that's all I had handy

Attached Files:

2. For the runs, you will want a block. Everywhere else you need to follow the contours. It is too late to repair waviness now. You should be using a very fine grit paper.

3. Sporty45

Sporty45

Don't just use your hand. No matter how hard you try to avoid uneven pressure, you will get it. I always use these when color sanding, wrapped in progressively finer paper til tim to buff. They work great!
    [​IMG]

4. The 3m sponge pads are awesome. I usually start with 1200 then finish with 2000 grit

Duellym likes this.

5. I used a sanding strip, think sand paper taped to a popsicle stick, to get a run out of my roof. Fine grit 600 to start, then 1200 or finer to finish.

6. Sponge pad, start with 800/1000 and work up to 2000. Listening to Bill Haley and the Comets also works for me :D

Bandit Billy and belair like this.
  7. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

paper wrapped around a paint stick if you don't want to buy anything.

8. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Use the sanding sponge, 3m makes a nice one, sized perfect to use 1/2 sheet of sand paper. Depending what material you used and how much orange peel you have. I wouldn't go more course than 1000 if you used a urethane Work up to 1500...2000 then buff. Hours and hours of youtube vids on this subject.

9. I use a wet/dry sanding block-hard on one side-soft on the other-I soak the paper in a bucket of water for a little bit-wrap the paper around the block so you have one layer against the hard side of the block-two layers on the soft side
    For your first pass-I use 1500 grit and the hard side of the block only-it takes a little longer-but as a newby-you're not as prone to sanding through-sand till the 'peel' is flattened out
    Then a quick pass with the soft side of the block
    Then sand with 2000 and then 2500 grit-always using the soft side of the sanding block
    depending on how shiney you want it(or how much paint is on it) you can sand with 3000 and then 5000 grit using a finish sander-damp
    Rinse your paper often and throw it out when it is not cutting anymore
    use a silicone or soft rubber squeegee to check your work
    clean the surface between sanding grits
    keep the room quiet so you can 'hear' any debris in your paper.
    Clean all the sanding slag off the surface before you polish
    Then polish with the three step 3M perfect it system and a good buffing machine-
    You will get show quality results if you take your time

belair and flatford39 like this.
  10. flatford39

flatford39

I use a block always. I start with 1000 and make my way to 2000. It is really time consuming. You may want something a little more aggressive on the runs like 600. I always wet sand as well.

flip likes this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You wet sand a clear coat?

12. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Yes...

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

You can use a razor to shave down the flo checks (runs) before sanding.