Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Golden Starfire, Sells at B-J Auction.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jan 19, 2017.

1. slowmotion

slowmotion

I agree about Magnante, he knows his shit more times than not. Everyone's entitled to a flub now & then. The chick in the staging area OTOH, sizing up an upcoming car "It's got a really big motor"....uh OK..
    Gotta have the fluff guess...:rolleyes:

2. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Lebowski, I almost, did I say almost dropped my cocktail when said 58' Olds Super 88 went across. BJ # 551. Looked up this morning and if I remember correct , it was $23,100 out the door. Holy Moly is that a ride for that price. It's just Bling, Bling & more Bling.

3. jimmy959

jimmy959

Agreed. Fluff has its place. But whats up with Chris Jacobs? I'm gonna start a drinking game where you gotta take a shot every time he claims to be a Mopar Guy (...while showcasing a '67 Valiant with a hemi in it as a "recreation of a hemi Dart"). I'm not a Mopar expert, but even I know that the Hemi Darts didn't appear until '68.

BigDogSS and slowmotion like this.
  4. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

That car would be a head turner at any show. I feel sorry for the seller because he had to be pretty disappointed that it went that cheap....

5. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

She's showing off all of these beautiful cars while wearing ripped up jeans? What is wrong with that picture? :rolleyes:

slowmotion likes this.
  6. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Yes , sellers remorse. No doubt.

7. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

'40 Coupe last night for $40,000!

I've seen some great deals this year, probably couldn't have stopped myself bidding on that '58 olds of I'd been at the auction.
    I saw a '58 Olds 4 door sell near me for 5k about 10 years ago and it needed a complete rebuild and $20k in chrome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I wish the commentators didn't try so hard. I don't car that it's one of only 11 valiants built with a green vinyl top, push button auto and radio delete or what ever the hell the seller came up with to make the car sound special.

It's more fun listening to my friends talk about the cars. Stories like this:
    That's a '61 falcon! My friend had one in high school that he bought for $600 and we put a 351 out of a short bus in it and broke the rearend doing burnouts in the Perkins parking lot.

I want to see the auction commentary by a bunch of old farts drinking and telling tall tales!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldmics likes this.
  9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't that what we're doing here? :D

Dog_Patch and toolz like this.
  10. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

If it was Richard Rawlings car it would have brought 75K just so somebody could have gotten on his show. Too much GMG. Is just the right amount.

11. AZbent

AZbent

I went to B J yesterday, there was a lot of deals. I saw a 1926 chevy speedster that sold for 11k. It had a beautiful restoration done on it. I'm sure that the restoration was cost alone was more than the selling price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What many don't know is this week there are many auctions going on in Scotsdale not just BJ. Early in the week they have a "locals" price to walk around many of them and there are many great driver quality cars. I bought my 56 in the same week but from a local AZ. guy who did not want to do any of the auctions 5 yrs ago.

13. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Junkologist congratulations on 58' 88. Please at some point post some interior and under hood pics.

14. You are so right as there are many other auctions going on out there at the same time. I have been there many times in the past. We don't buy anything, but we have a blast hitting all of the auctions and hot rod shops in the area and there is no snow on the ground.....

j3harleys likes this.
  15. That's what I'm thinking....I want to pay the least I can. The guys who want to pay the max, I'll call you when my '36 is for sale.....

Special Ed likes this.
  16. mickeyc

mickeyc

I was watching earlier in the week. There was a red 40 Ford coupe with a warmed up flat head and from what little they showed pretty nice interior. It went for $30,000. That is less than most similar coupes are listed for here on the hamb as well as other places.

17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Junkologist...
    Congrats on buying the "Golden Starfire" ! John called me last night to talk about his trip to Finland for the Kustom Kulture car show in Helsinki that's this coming weekend. When he gets back home next week he takes his newest kustom, "Rita", to the Sacramento Autorama.

During our conversation, I asked John what his reaction to the B-J sale of the "Golden Starfire" was...he was truly upset about what happened, said he was close by a TV when it happened, and that if he was there and the car was run on Friday, or Saturday, it should have brought at least twice what it went for.

I know the car well, and John added to the Info by saying that the build was actually started in around April of 1994 to be ready to debut at the GNRS in '95. The car was built at Jerry Sahagan's shop in Concord, California, with John Aiello & Darryl Hollenbeck doing the body work, and Darryl Hollenbeck mixing, and doing the paint. If you're new to the H.A.M.B. and aren't familiar with their names, they are two of the ultimate best in the business !

Darryl's '32 Ford Roadster won the AMBR Award at last year's GNRS. He and his wife, Terri (she's a great lady & Andy Brizio's daughter) built the car.
    John Aiello's fantastic body work can be seen on many of John's earlier builds, and, on most of the beautiful creations that the late-Rich Zocchi drove & showed.

Now, back to the "Golden Starfire": During the 1995 show season, it garnered many, many Awards in the "Best Mild" custom category, "Best Upholstery" category, "Custom D'Elegance" Award, the "Joe Bailon Award", etc., at various shows like the GNRS, Sacramento Autorama, and, West Coast Kustoms, and was a Feature Car in so many mags it would be hard to list 'em all, let's just say that the car was known World Wide during its time in the spotlight.

Again, I'm glad Junkologist won the car...I know he'll give it a good home ! But, John & I felt that you should know some more of the car's actual history, and I hope this fills-in-the-blanks for any other questions you might have had.
    Respectfully,
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Dog_Patch and Moriarity like this.
  18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'm glad the guy I'm building a 61 Olds didn't see it! He's going to be into it for 2-3 times what the Golden Starfire went for!

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I just HAD to google that, didn't I?:confused::eek:DAMN you guys!

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

chopolds...
    Amen ! Very understandable in today's market place. Many shops won't even consider a build unless it's in the six-figure range. Actually, just to have Darryl do the paint on the "Golden Starfire" today, it would be over the price that the car went for at B-J.

One other point about John D'Agostino and the kustoms he creates: John always looks for the cleanest, most-perfect car he can find. A running car, complete with all the chrome, great interior, all the glass, emblems, stock tranny & drivetrain, suspension, etc.

This solves many problems that could come up during the build. It costs much more to do it this way (I know some of the prices he's paid for "near mint" cars)...but he's a perfectionist, knows what his vision is for each car, and does whatever he can to make the process smooth from start-to-finish. Plus, John doesn't use fiberglass in his builds. The consoles, housings covering convertible tops when lowered, tonneau covers, grille & bumper pans, moldings, etc., are always metal or aluminum.

And all of this always results in kustoms that carry the "kustom kulture" into new areas, and in-turn let's the World Wide lovers & fans of R&C see what great things are possible when building "Rolling Sculpture" & "Works of Art on Wheels".

Thanks again, chopolds, and let's see that '61 when your finished with it...sounds cool !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc,net

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Jonnie King - Thanks for updating everyone with the info