Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rumble seats- would you let your kids ride in them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 18, 2017.

1. a Red "A" roadster pickup? I don't remember three of in the truck but we were moving riders around...
    My brother and I drove a buddies 29 A Roadster Pickup down to OKC Nats....must have been the same year. Never so hot in my life.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. As to the question I would yes, Using good judgment and depending on location and traffic. Major cities or interstates no. Back country roads around where I live are relatively untraveled so I would feel fine.

Unrelated but when I had cheater slicks on my Roadster I ran into an instant downpour on a major 4 lane, couldn't get slowed fast enough as there was heavy traffic behind me. I ended up hydroplaning, broad slid to a stop facing traffic. Daughter was in the car, no belts...Lots of thoughts running through my mind after that.

clunker and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. I try to push that envelope to the point of tearing it wide open every chance I get. The screwed up part is they get to spend more time in society than they do with me.

4. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I'm building my deuce roadster with a rumble seat. I wanted a trunk, my wife wanted the rumble. She says she wants to ride in it. After a couple trips I think she will change her mind. Either way I'm going to design a lock system that will keep the seat open during a panic stop or a crash. Seat belts will also be installed. Will my 10 year old daughter ride in it? Yes most likely but only around town.

If the seat is locked open and the occupant is wearing a seatbelt, I don't really see any difference in a rumble than I do in a normal 4 seat convertible.

5. JROD_31Hiboy

JROD_31Hiboy

I rode in em when I was a kid. Even smooth talked the girl next door to riding back there with me once! talk about cool.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  6. don miller

don miller

I swear a bunch of you guys must wear at least 2 condoms before you leave the house-you never know!! So tell me if a rumble seat is so dangerous how come the backseat of say a '32 2 door sedan is all right you know the ones with the gas tank just forward of the rear bumper or how about a Model A sedan with the gas tank back of the rear seat-guess all the gas can act like an energy absorber. I should start making roll cages and 5 point harnesses for lawnchairs, I'll be rich I tell ya RICH!!

wbrw32, wraymen and clunker like this.
  7. desotot

desotot

A much smaller rural town ? sounds like Enderby.

8. desotot

desotot

I drove my kids around in a 34 cabriolet, but they had seat belts. Heck, rear seatbelts weren't even mandatory equipment till the 6th month of 1963. So any convertible would be questionable for the faint of heart.

9. I've got convertibles and the '32 and '37 with rumble seats. To me comparing a convertible to a rumble seat is like comparing apples and oranges. The convertible you sit well in front of the rear wheels and much lower in the car as well as have no "hard" items to potentially hit in an accident or risk of the seat closing on your passengers. With the rumble seat none of those apply. I live in the country and would have no issues letting my kids ride in the rumble seat around my place or on the right roads. On a highway or freeway........... not a chance. It's got nothing to do with "protecting this new fragile generation", it's got to do with performing a risk/reward analysis and ultimately making the right decision.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    s55mercury66, KoolKat-57, K13 and 4 others like this.
  10. 41 C28

41 C28

Just in parades.

11. safe..... as long as the passenger thought it was.

:rolleyes:

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

My '34 has a rumble lid, and I have the cushions. My wife immediately vetoed using the trunk as a rumble seat for our grandson, and while initially I was disappointed, I immediately realized why. Imagine your kid or grandkid bisected by the edge of the body, or tossed out. Maybe around the yard, but never, ever, ever one the street. Ours will be a trunk that opens awkwardly and leaks water...

Ron Funkhouser and KoolKat-57 like this.
  13. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Shit, many years ago I rode in the back of my El Camino from Bakersfield to Anaheim at night, in the middle of winter, under a blanket having tickle time with my girl friend and I turned out ok

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Not sure that would qualify as "safe sex" ;)

15. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!----Talk about paranoia!----All 3 of my kids always rode in my rumble seat & enjoyed every moment!---They are now 64, 61, & 58 years old.
    My son rode the rumble seat to Tulsa,Ok. nats in 1973, when he was 15, from L.A. & back, 3000 miles +, & will cherish that time in his life,----& yes, he also built his '29 hiboy with rumble, which both his kids loved riding in!!

17. I would but I have been accused of endangering the lives of children. :eek: :D
    If they are tied in and not in a baby seat I don't see why not.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I wish!:D Not quite that small and rural, but a lot smaller and more rural than North Surrey! East Maple Ridge.

19. Back in the Day I bought a 1935 Chrysler Conv. Coupe with Dual sidemounts
    and Rumble Seat, 8 clyinder
    and when you sat in the Rumble seat the Only thing you seen was the Top of
    your Arm & Head
    the Seat was in front of the Rear wheel
    it was really Safe
    Thats the Only rumble seat I ever road in & I know it was Safe

Just my 3.5 cents

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Shes a girl, but I guess if she REALLY wants to play football when she gets older, well MAYBE, but Id rather she didn't...but Mcdonalds???!! You gotta be shittin me! I'd sooner let her bolt down a heap of moldy dog shit...:rolleyes::D

tb33anda3rd and 29bowtie like this.
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Yes, I would. In California, you will get a ticket if this occurs on our HWYS. But, I will allow my Grand Kids and my kids to ride in a rumble seat on the side streets and cruises. There are way too many sissy-la-la's, around anymore.
    "TAKE OFF THAT STUPID HELMET! YOU'RE WALKING ON THE SIDE WALK"

22. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

The odd-ball way society is ''progressing''....it's only a matter of time before a child (or adult) wanting to ride in a rumble seat, must wear an orange safety reflective vest, chin strap helmet with full face shield, elbow & knee pads, Mae-West life-preserver, and strapped into a child protection seat if under 4' 9'' inches tall, with optional drink holder for environmentally re-cycled plastic-only bottles of a certain size, and eye-to-hand worthy affiliated game consuls of the 'virtual' ride they are supposedly enjoying......riding in a rumble seat may not be as much fun in the near future I'm gonna predict, sad as it may seem.

....and lest I forget about an adult who happens to be only 4' 8'' inches tall, like my wife's best friend, who literally ''runs'' out to my rumble seat and climbs in for a ride every time she comes over!....I say, "better enjoy your rumble seat while ya' still can.''...the wind may be blowing the wrong direction sometime soon---------------------------------------------------I'm so tired of: ''progress''o_O

Spoggie and 29bowtie like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Don, do you mean no to kids in general, or just in a rumble seat??:eek::D

24. Ha ha. I meant no to kids in the rumble seat. I love kids, I wanted half a dozen when I was young. After 3 though I smarted up and quit!

falcongeorge and wraymen like this.
  25. cfmvw

cfmvw

Got to ride in one once...it was great! We were meandering along some rural back roads, which is where I think they are best experienced, but that's just me.

Spoggie likes this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I kinda figured that was what you meant, but it needed clarification!:p:p:p

27. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Christ, how did you reach the pedals!!!???o_O

28. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.