Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs So, I drug home a 57 Buick Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JVK54, Jan 19, 2017.

1. JVK54

JVK54

2. JVK54

JVK54

I've always loved the 57s , and been thinking about this car since summer. Minday we rolled out to central PA. did the deal and drug her home.

michael knight likes this.
  3. I've always admired the rear windows on the '57 Buick/Olds. I've never noticed the ribs between the outside windows and center window before. I guess I now know where GM got their styling cue from for the '63 split window.
    Are you planning on eliminating the black-out treatment on the rear of the car? To me the bumper and tail lights on this year Buick are a huge contributor to the overall styling. I don't think eliminating the black-out on the hood lip and fender eyebrows would hurt either.

Good luck, enjoy.

Allan

JVK54 likes this.

4. WHOA, that will make you sit up and take notice! Good find!!!Bruce.

5. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

6. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I like it, Very KOOL.

7. Amazing find. Do you have any plans for it?

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I had one for several years and LOVED every minute of it. My daughter had some financial problems so I sold it to help her out.I am not complaining, glad I had it to help her. Just another great thing the Buick did for me till the end.

kbgreen and jvpolvere1 like this.
  9. Very cool.
    But I'm partial to black n flamed cars. :)
    @Bruce Fischer so are we going to see flames on the Chrysler when you paint it? :D

Stogy likes this.
  10. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Those are sharp cars. Did I read somewhere that the rear glass was plexi in those?

12. belair

belair

x2 on what Katuna said. AWESOME CAR!!! There is nothing better than a 57 Buick or Olds. Nothing.

JVK54 likes this.
  13. jchav62

jchav62

Nice!!!! Congrats...

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

MAN!!!! If that rear end was chromed instead of painted id call that a home run.

Sexy lines, dig the flames. nice score

Spooky likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - always good to have a subtle ride

JVK54 and Stogy like this.
  16. patterg2003

patterg2003

I have always admired the 57 Buicks. Only remember one 2 door hardtop from my high school days & it was nice car. The front bumper has a life of it own & a tribute to big bumpers of that era. Congratulations on a great find.

17. Kan that must of been very hard but a very kind thing to do!Bruce.

Spooky likes this.
  18. kiwijeff, I am going to run her around for a while till I see if there any bugs to work out. I am not a fancy guy it will probly be metlic gun gray with the pink strip.Bruce.

Spooky likes this.

19. They are glass.

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

At the 2016 NSRA Nats in Louisville there were over 10,000 cars. The car that I liked the most was a black stock bodied 57 Buick 2 door sedan with a great stance, maroon interior, a later Nailhead with 3 two's. They are indeed a sharp car and a super highway cruiser.

Gary

21. JVK54

JVK54

There is no way the tail lights etc . will stay covered in black paint. I actually just bought a decent ( I think ) set of 58 Tail lights a full set of ventiports from a guy in Mo. I'm guessing the 58s will fit..time will tell. I loathe painted bumpers, but the cost of re-chroming is prohibitive. Soooooo…I'll figure something out .)…Right now I'm just getting to know the car . Just got in from rip pin around for a few hours. Very fun. Gotta get the stance right ( Always an early order of business ) Chase down a few minor issues. If I run this paint , which is a kinda half assed tribute to the Larry Watson 57, I may try to match the flames on the hood, roof and deck ( Like the Watson car) and satin clear the whole thing to kinda blend it. If Im gonna get into a serious change in paint, then of course allll the work in fixing any stuff that shows up and making the car as laser straight as possible has gotta happen first…Id like to hook up the Lakes pipes which is always a challenge in lowered X frame Buicks…..Eventually ? The plan is a real classy mild custom .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    wicarnut and redlineracer42 like this.
  22. JVK54

JVK54

23. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I love 57' Buicks....my favorite year with an outstanding design....and how cool are those back glass window panels!!! Awesome!

JVK54 likes this.
  24. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, since it's painted already, and the chrome up front looks a tad dull, perhaps you could get away with an Argent Silver spraybomb job on the back bumper. OR maybe try a chrome paint or even a powder coat if you can get access to a big enough oven.

Another idea may be to think about a metalflake job on them both.

Oh, OR, strip them down to bare, clean, metal and brush them out. Then hit them with Sharkhide Metal Protectant.

JVK54 and Stogy like this.
  25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Love it !
    Good for you...
    Now get it out and enjoy.

26. Irvan

Irvan

Love the flames, nice old car.

27. They have some spray on stuff nowadays that looks exactly like chrome .... on the internet....

28. deucemac

deucemac

There are two good articles in Hemming Classic Cars I just received. A drive report on the cover car, a gorgeous 1957 Buick Special convertible in flawless black. And the editorial column that speaks about the great ride quality of '50's big cars and in particular about the cover car and to make subtle but good changes to make them handle and ride even better. Good issue for sure.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  29. JVK54

JVK54

I ran the bumpers on my 50 Chevy in bare metal and used Gibbs Gun Oil on them. Worked well. The other options you mentioned are crossing my mind too.

patmanta likes this.