Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Project....1938 Fiat Topolino.....Lil Beast...........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Jan 30, 2010.

1. 1471150066673.jpg

Brackets fabbed and mocked in...I'll round off the hard 90 corners and probably run drill thru gusset...add a few more lightin holes....lol......
    I'll weld them in tomorrow and drill thru for retaining bolts thru crossmember. Build a new wedge for the angular trans mount.....what happens when ya use a rotated bellhousing for more pedal space...and then change from camaro tailshaft to s-10 to get the shifter out of the back seat...

Get this mounting issue over with, i can hook up hydraulic lines for bearing..find out if it's good to run or has to be sent to tilton for??

Big cruise in Carlisle ohio every year..Sept 30 this year for massive car cruise in...went couple of years back, and had issues with Lil Beast as he was in pieces and i thru em together in 2 1/2 days to be there...looking forward to hopefully being there thus year...Lil Beast has been basically a no issue rod ever since i worked the bugs out that we had last time we went to Carlisle cruise...looking forward to making it this year..and finally having 5th gear too

Sent from my LGMS428 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  2. Crossmember is completed..ol Bob went over to his buddy's exhaust...

Four 40* two footers...two 90* two footers... 1472257973517.jpg

Sent from my LGMS428 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 20160906_232827.jpg Lil Beast exhaust tacked together....can't wait to hear the 325 dodge thru some pipes...have enough room for glass packs or turbo flows before turning out inn front of the cheater slicks.. But I'm going to run it straight thru the pipes....no muffler...to see what it sounds like first

4. I can tell you how it will sound...........PERFECT !!:cool:;) JW

loudbang likes this.
  5. 20160903_171930_Burst01.jpg Well JW, I'm hope n it sounds good thru the straight pipes..41" of pipe per side...but i have room for 20" mire and a small turn down...hope to fire it up in next day or two..at latest on Sunday....just after a few summers of just 6" of pipe off the manifolds, well that just its too much noise lol....pic of extra pipe stuffed in...just didn't trim turn out

6. I hope you can post a video so we can hear it too.:cool::cool::D JW

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

mad mikey and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  8. COOOOL !! Thanks Mark:D JW

9. loudbang

loudbang

Sounds QUIET LOL not too many squeaks and rattles

10. Ya it's allot better then the first vid i did a few years ago...funny part is i really haven't addressed rattles and squeaks lol...difference between a fairly loose body on the frame and one that's been bolted down more......still along way too go...but we're back at it for awhile now...hell i still don't have mufflers l ol

Would love to get rear tail section straightened out this winter..there was a guy on here that had a tail section fabricated i talked to a good time back...but life was in the way and...i couldn't follow up on it..be too easy to weld on a section like he did...

11. Thanks for the ride Mark. Very COOL!:D:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  12. Lil Beast is getting some more love.....took em down to Dayton-Beavercreek area to visit my brother last month....got in some cruise time Saturday late afternoon, but called it a nite as it got dark...was a chilly nite, and the 1 1/2 year old lite switch took a shit...but got to take my son (he's 27) for a ride Sunday...first time he's seen the fiat in person...great driving around down there..Michigan is flat around my area....no hills...no curves...no uphill or down hill sweeper curves..we hauled ass over hill n dale...good time..did a old school slow rolling dry hop...my son remembered them from watching some AA/FA fiats doing them at Edgewater Drag Strip when he was a lil guy lol...had a bad hold down on the bleeder line side of the Tilton throwout bearing..it made contact with the edge of the pressure plate and ended the fun...
    So fast forward a couple of weeks..went to Monroe Fall Swap meet last weekend..ol Bob bought us a set of Ansens with nice vintage tires on em..fronts are B.F. GOODRICH GR-60-15's and rears are
    LR-50-15's...no cracks ect...he's trying out the fronts on the rear of his Wee Tee bucket...I'm going to try the 50's on the back off Lil Beast.. The Radir 12.00 series piecrust are not the best tires for the street..or cornering....plus the ass end of the fiat is so damn lite...

So hopefully this weekend we'll roll out off the garage with the radials on the back and I've decided to try some 12"glass packs..straight pipes are nice but hard to converse when going down the road... 20161102_222627~2.jpg Message_1477872991846.jpg

swade41, davo461, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  13. Damn fine Mark...........love this car !! Have you posted a pic on the Topolino picture tread? JW

14. JW, if you're talking about the old thread no..of there's s New thread I'm unaware of it lol

15. 1935Dodge

1935Dodge

Looking good, Mark. Need to see more Topolinos!

16. You will find them on "Let's See Some Fiat Topolino's'. JW

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. Ok JW, I thru up a couple....Bob had mine in a big bunch he posted...

Test radial mounted.... 20161105_150154.jpg slight difference in height between thesen the pie crust radir's.....could drop the QA coilovers a notch...one left on mounts...wanting to drive it at hiway speed more..like the 17 miles of I-75 each way to work....

Attached Files:

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  19. Should be crawling out of garage today..looking forward to test radial ride try out...also cranked it up last nite...liking the short. Glass packs tone....

20. Well we got out of the garage late today...made it to Bobs n then we made a run to taco bell... 20161106_174043_Burst01.jpg Then we cruised the back roads...thru bean land....winding them up into 60 mph + a time or two... 20161106_190246_Burst01.jpg then on way home i stopped at auto zone to check out hangers for the mufflers.. 20161106_190722_Burst01.jpg tires are way smaller then the Radir 12-00 cheaters..n remember i built the fiat around the 12-00 for profile, looks ect...

Over all...the 325 dodge hemi liked the short pipes with the short, higher end glass packs..runs much smoother....and much easier inside the car for cruising..

the radials laid down all the cracks n bumps...that felt like monsters before...but then, Lil Beast is only 92 inch wheelbase..going to look for a pair of radials a lil taller and a bit wider....was a nice cruise tonite..the fiat run and drove like never before....

21. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Topolino Kid likes this.
  22. Lil Beast lookin great on the street Mark. I got some Hoosiers to run on the street on the back of the coupe. 12.50x 15. 31 inch tall. radials. Maybe something like that would work for the beast.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Thanks Bob.....still a long way to go....but we're back at it....

Mikey, we picked up these radials at the swap meet in Monroe recently...figured for $50 for these and a set of L-60 fronts all mounted on ansen steel 5 spoke (cragar style)....they sure did make the fiat ride really comfortable...looked at Hooisers, but didn't know how they do on. the road..ya Lil Beast needs bigger meats...

loudbang likes this.
  24. hotrod_tommy

hotrod_tommy

Hey T.K.
    I wet myself looking at your lil mouse hot rod. Bucket list car for me, too!
    I ran Hoosier Quick Times on a tube-frame Volvo a few years ago, made HUGE difference over the hard M/T Sportsman tires, which never seemed all round. My long-range tires were 265/70x15 Goodrich T/As which were ok on the road but just didn't have the killer look I wanted. The Hoosiers do wear quicker than M/T, but the ride was worth it for me. And the evil look.
    Steel Fiat/Simca... dream altered for street! dig it, man.
    hrt

loudbang likes this.
  25. Warm above average temps are really making me drool for rod time...but constant rain n snow....plus i go in at 11 am n get out at 7 pm...on a good day 20170118_232013.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  26. 1935Dodge

1935Dodge

Mark - Beast looking good!
    What are you running for rear suspension?
    If coil-overs, what spring rate? I've got 250's on mine, but it seems way over sprung.
    Thanks, John

27. John, I'm running triangulated 4 link in the rear..with very short bars......QA 1 coilovers..About 15" or 17" long it seems.. the springs are 90's... Rides very well with the radial tires...

28. I've listed the cheater slicks off Lil Beast inn the classified section in here...great chance to get a super deal on a pair of hi dollar Radir cheaters..

loudbang likes this.
  29. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  30. Was thinking the same just the other day. Hey Mark, hope all is well and you are enjoying your Hot Rod.:) JW

loudbang likes this.