Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods upper control arms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldgoat939, Jan 18, 2017.

1. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

Hi guys, at the present time I have a 1965 corvair front end with 1974 corvette spindals and discs mounted to my 1931 Model A Slant Window town sedan. The corvette spindals are rasing the upper control arm to high so my tires are slanted in at the top and this is wearing out the inside tread of the tires (this does stick to the road well and corners like it is on rails, but is hard on tires) . My question is does anyone make a upper control arm that will bolt in place of the original a arm but be longer so as to push the upper end of the spindal out to better adjust the camber and caster ?

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Since this is a traditional hot rod forum, you know we are going to say get rid of that streetrod crap that looks bad and doesnt work and use traditional hot rod parts!

Spindle

Drunk Man, wbrw32 and X38 like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I haven't heard of an aftermarket upper arm for the Corvair suspension. They make them for more popular suspensions.

How much does it need? they make offset upper arm shafts for some cars such as 55-57 chevys, to help with camber adjustment on cars that are lowered/raised too much.

Could you just put taller springs in it?

4. BJR

BJR

How about spacing the upper shaft up from the frame to change the angle of the upper control arm?

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Corvair frontends were not good when in a Corvair. Sounds like instead of doing patch work bite the bullet and replace front suspension

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

A welder is your friend.

7. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

this is a hot rod built in the late sixties and the corvair front end was the early mustang 11 for runner. I don't have the original straight axle and mechanical brakes won't stop this car with the v8. Maybe I have to go to a mustang front end to save $$$ on tires.

8. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

Jim I didn't know they made different A arms for 55 6 7 chevys so I will look into them. Do you know of a company or should I just check with Danchucks? thanks

9. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

BJR the upper A arms are attached to the coil spring tower so they only adjust in or out but not up or down. They are out as far as they will go but it is not enough so that is why I was asking about longer arms that are adjustable.

10. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

Jalopy Jocker the front end works great as long as you change the drum brakes over to discs but I guess I used the wrong spindals as the A arms are spreed to far apart I have drove this rod for forty years and am rebuilding it now and just want it to look better when viewed from the front, so I may as you say change over to a mustang 11 front end.

11. squirrel

squirrel

12. BJR

BJR

How about a picture or 2 of the front end.

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Do you have enough meat on the cross-shafts to mill off some material to give ya some more camber?

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The geometry is all wrong. Not sure what king pin inclination (KPI) was on the Corvair spindles or distance between top and bottom but the C3 spindles are a different height and aren't doing you any favours. Most likely your Ackerman angle is out as well and doesn't help when turning corners. Older conversions swapped the steering around causing this. Does the C3 spindle taper match the ball joints, I assume it would? This picture below could be your problem. Could I suggest scrapping that front end and starting afresh with a either a MII or beam axle and cross steering. In the end you will thank yourself as it will drive and handle better and not wear your tyres out.
    [​IMG]

15. i have a 31 buick that has a corvair front end in it also and they used a later spindle to get disc brakes. as you can see they raised the upper control arm mount. DSCF5018.JPG DSCF5029.JPG

16. Swapping parts and trying to live with weird geometry just ain't right. If you are OK with IRS, go to a mustang II set-up from someone that knows what they are doing, it may save your life, or that of a friend or loved one.

17. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

Do you know what spindles were used for the conversion as I made my own caliper mounts for the c2 vette spindels and machined the discs down to fit the rims I have. I will see about taking a few pictures when I can get the car out of the shop as I'am redoing it now and really don't want to change the entire front if I don't have too.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Suspension is not a guessing game. Mistakes can be homicidal.

If you cannot call out your numbers for caster, camber, toe, Ackerman angle, KPI, scrub radius, and so on, you would be better (safer) off buying a pre-made setup, or hire a qualified suspension engineer.

I am fine if you don't want to save your own life, it is the other guy, and his family that I worry about.

jaw22w likes this.
  19. i don't know what spindles the guy used and am on the fence wether i would keep this front end in it if i decide to keep it. i would prefer a straight axle. i am not saying i think it is unsafe, i just like a straight axle.

20. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i have 71 nova spindles and drum brakes on the corvair front end in my 29 chevy .the tires wear good.if you go to a mustang front end on your car you will have to notch the fenders to clear the upper controle arms.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The damage is already done....

22. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i agree with you. a pro front end mech welded mine in . . but the nova spindles have worked on mine for the past 65000 miles with just 2 sets of front tires

23. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no fan of the Corvair front ends but think that the 68/71 or so spindles aren't all that tall compared to those Corvette spindles. Disk brakes are and easy factory piece bolt on swap too.
    On the A arms my guess is that if you have a competent shop do the work you are going to end up with nearly as much in it as you wold if you put in a MII setup or cut the Corvair stuff out and hung a Ford I beam back under it. Most of those guys will push for a different front suspension though.

25. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

Thanks for the tip on the 71 nova spindles. I will look at them and hope they will work as a disc set up should be out there for them. I hope they will fit so that I can have a shop do a alignment on the front and rear end again . I mention the rear only because it is a 63 vette independent rear with 308 posi gears, but I'am also looking for a 373 posi gear set for it. Thanks again for the info.

26. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

Thanks for the support on the front end. Most of the advice on the hamb is intended to help each member with their projects and you just have to pick the best choice that you think will advance your roject.

27. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

The 29 pick up in my avatar is a dropped axle with a vaga box and steers fine but only fits the wife and I, or a grand daughter. Heading across Canada this year pulling a 66 canned ham, and will be coming back thru the U.S.A. and following the route 66 as much as possible and then up the Oregon cost and back home to B.C.

28. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Find someone who races stock cars, they do this stuff all the time. You need to know what you want the numbers to be, and what kind of travel you expect to operate in , most of the time. If you dont have a clue, there are some simulation programs out there and you ought to be able to find somebody that has one that can also do a little fabrication work.Good Luck

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

When I look at this I'm reminded of upper ball joint spacers like on a Tri-Five Chevy. This allowed for one of two things to happen. More upward travel or taller spring and still have rebound. OP say's the car sit's high. What if the Corvette spindles are there because of taller spring's ? What I'm not sure or clear on. Did Corvette's lower ball joint stud in that era point up ?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  30. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

I would cut and add to the a arms my self the taller spindle would do the same as the shellby drop on a mustang and adding height to stock car spindles is not a new thing