Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods LET'S CRITIQUE WHEELS - New Repro Wheels that do or don't

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Sep 7, 2016.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:confused:
    Reminds me of the first time I saw an old photo of those old go kart wheels that look like five spoke Americans.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'll use this for a bump!
    Will gladly delete if offensive.

[​IMG]

desotot and bathcollector like this.
  3. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I have a set of these as well, the issue will be, what to do if I ever damage one?

4. You will have to start searching on the net for a replacement....but if the the damage is a minor edge tweak you should be able to massage it back. The rim is rolled sheet, not cast like the center, so it can be worked cold.

I've been using "mag" wheels of one kind or another for over 50 years and have never bent one and I'm not gentle with my hot rods or daily drivers. I wouldn't worry about it a lot.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I got around to putting tires on my American Rodmasters after running the red wheels earlier this summer. IMG_1205.jpg IMG_0752_2.jpg

6. Clik

Clik

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Let's keep this one going guys!

8. Clik

Clik

Those dandies in the window seem to like your shiny red truck.

9. Clik

Clik

I think it was one of the South East Gasser guys who said these wheels weren't period correct because the windows were too big. When was this ad published?

10. uncle buck

uncle buck

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Had a guy tell me the other day that there are these 10 spoke front runner wheels that I just HAD to have for my gasser project. I told him thanks, but no thanks, I will stick with my Ansen Sprints.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Stand your ground against evil and bolt-on "spindle mounts".

13. Rand Man

Rand Man

I wonder if someone could help me tell the difference between the original Cragar SS wheel, and what they are shipping now. I have read that they now have a flatter spoke profile. I would like to see a picture of old and new side by side. I've tried searching for photos, but I'm not really sure how to spot the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Clik

Clik

My Henry J has too much engine set back to be a gasser technically and I like the look that 10 spokes had on this type of car but I am not willing to sacrifice my front brakes to run spindle mounts on the street. If the car was a museum piece or had a history I'd be more concerned with period correctness. And cars of the day did have disc brakes. Not real common but they were out there.

15. I like my "modern" ET Classic 5's.
    I think the key to traditional looks is as deep offset (minimal backspacing) as possible on the rear wheels.
    Painted or as-cast centers and polished or machined lips helps too.

BTW, the fronts are 45-year-old 15x3.5" Fenton Gyros.

IMAG0920_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    mgtstumpy, lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  16. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

There are at least 3 companies selling Sprint (Halibrand) style wheels. Real Rodders Wheels, American Rebel and Radir all look exactly the same. Is one manufacturer making these wheels for these companies??

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  17. Radir is a dealer for and sells the American Rebel, Real Rodders are the original Real Wheels originally manufactured and sold by Eric Vaughn.

Steve

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    spiffy1937 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. jlckmj

jlckmj

I know they are not Halibrand, but I think that the Cragar look-a-like's are close from a distance. I ended up taking the spinners off and putting the small caps on just to make them a little more custom.
    Jim a 3.jpg a 8.jpg

spiffy1937 and T-roaster like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ok here is a pic of the "new cragar with the flat spoke

newcragar.jpg

And here is a pic of an older Cragar with the rounded spoke oldcragar.jpg oldcragar.jpg oldcragar.jpg oldcragar.jpg

20. Maybe I'm old school, or maybe I'm just old but, I much prefer the original look of the "rounder" spoke Cragars. Not sure why they chose to change them when they re-released them when they could have just as easily created a new "classic" wheel by simply emulating (read that: copying) the look of the original.:confused:

21. Rand Man

Rand Man

Thanks Moriarity! That makes it obvious. I bought a set in 1979. They surely were original spoke. Anyone have an idea when they made the change?

The likelihood of me buying a new set just went down. Maybe the price of originals went up.

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think the change was made about 15 years ago or so but not sure. I had to buy an Nos pair for the front of my off topic 66 Chevelle on eBay and they were dated 1983.

23. At some point in the past they went to the uni-lug configuration, not sure when. I had a set on a '72 Chevelle back in the mid-seventies that were drilled car model specific. The switch to uni-lug might help date production if we only knew when that took place.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

25. CBurne7

CBurne7

There's a fair amount of info on Cragar online about it. I remember doing some research on it when I wound up with a single 14x6 - 4.5 Cragar. There are a few wheel companies that will make single hole drilled Cragars for you if you don't like the uni-lugs, but they're (obviously) more expensive.

26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because of the various ownership and source changes for Cragar, it's highly likely that both flat and rounded styles were made concurrently. For what it's worth somewhere I have an ad (not for Cragar, I think for a oil additive) from the late '60s early '70s that has a T bucket with some super wide, super deep (probably like 15x14 wheels with Indy tires) that had a very flat spoke.

Also I had a pair of the flat spoke Cragars that were direct bolt pattern as well just to confuse matters. (pictured below - if someone cared to zoom in on the back you might be able to pick up a manufacture date)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  27. 2935ford

2935ford

Anyone ever have a set of Cragars that didn't rust after a few months?
    I bought a set for my '66 Fairlane (my very first new car) back in the day. Man, was I disappointed.
    Course my original Emberglow paint job didn't last long either........so, it went silver. 66 Failane.jpg

Elcohaulic, mgtstumpy and Larry T like this.
  28. They were very prone to rusting if you didn't keep 'em clean and waxed all of the time.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  29. 2935ford

2935ford

Mine also had the chrome peel off the spokes.

30. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida