Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 Cornbinder Travelall C100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thrift-King, Dec 7, 2016.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There is a green panel that I've seen in my area a few times over the years, never got very close, but looks to be in pretty nice condition. Saw it up close recently and it has old style American five spokes (unpolished) on it, looks like they have probably been on it a long time, looks pretty good.
    A friend of mine had a IH four wheel drive pickup, had a wore out 392 that got 4 to 5 mpg.
    Put a 454 in it and doubled his gas mileage.

Thrift-King likes this.
  2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

These old corn binders were built tough, quality work, but everything twice as heavy as need be.
    This can be a good thing.
    I was asked to put this one on craigs list for $1500. I drove it and fell in love. I think I will buy it myself, I need a work truck as a carpenter, think this one would work just fine.
    Was my wifes uncles truck, was his toy. Has about 2000 miles on it since a rebuilt 345, automatic transmission service, rebuilt rear end, new dual exhaust, new brakes, shocks, tires and wheels.
    Uncle Dale was not a mechanic, he sent everything to the shop to be done. Must be a fortune tied up in it as it sits.
    But for a old farm truck, has a ton of options, jump seat with fold down armrest, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, dual tanks.
    Has current 2017 registration on it, but only driven couple times a year since uncle dale died 5 years ago.
    Needs tinkering.

I know I have at least 1 international heater, looks to be in excellent condition but unsure of year. Is in a large box of other international stuff. Have a building I need to clean out and it has some international doors and other misc parts. When it thaws out I will get back out there and cleaning up.Might have something to help ya out.

Attached Files:

Thrift-King likes this.
  3. TinShed

TinShed

That thing is wicked cool!

4. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

That looks like an awesome rig. Yea, if you find anything that would be great.

Thanks!

5. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

So this happened. Drunk idiot ran a red and smacked my poor Binder.

Anybody got parts to fix it with? Insurance will likely total it out due to the unavailability of parts... well, and it's an ancient thing.

[​IMG]

Sent from a Glade Air Freshener

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I see the accident bent the headlight trim on your International, did it write off the other guy's Honda?

7. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

I dont have a photo... but the funny thing is, it was a Honda... and it is much worse off than this... but he can get parts... I can't.

Bent the fender, wrecked the grille surround and headlight ring, bumper is shot and tweaked the radiator support enough that the hood doesn't latch properly.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I know photo angles can be tricky but I don't see anything a good bodyman couldn't straighten except for the headlight ring.

9. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

It's the front fascia which wraps around the headlights where the trim ring mounts that can't be fixed.

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Man, that sucks. '61's are my favorite IH, hopefully you can find the parts you need and put it back together.

11. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

>>>It's the front fascia which wraps around the headlights where the trim ring mounts that can't be fixed.>>>

I'm studying these before and after photos. I clearly see 2 busted sealed beams & trim rings, a missing license plate, and some slightly re-aligned sheet metal. I guess I'm not seeing much more damage than Rusty sees. Maybe you need to take more pix that better show what can't be fixed to the way it was in the before picture. Just a suggestion. Jack E/NJ
    beforeafter.jpg

chriseakin likes this.
  12. chriseakin

chriseakin

Check on ebay for those parts - I found headlight trim for my '57 there. Also check on binderplanet.com - they have links to a bunch of other IH related sites like IH only that sell new and experienced parts, which can be very useful for sheetmetal and trim stuff.

13. Terraizer

Terraizer

Looks like nothing a decent body man couldn't fix and take care of the normal lower grill shell rust while they are fixing the other damage. Ih's are really put together very simply and are easy to repair. They only have single body mount right there most likely pushed the grill shell over and that why the hood doesn't shut. There is 4 1961-62 headlight rings listed on ebay right now.

14. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

Got settled on insurance. It will be "totaled" but I'm keeping it. I even found parts... locally! Gonna go try and swoop them up in the next week.

I found a 61 pickup with 345 and power steering too... might have to rob some parts for the wagon... hmmm

302GMC likes this.
  15. Thrift-King

Thrift-King

I found parts! Still gonna be some work to fix the "new" front end, but I can actually fix this one!
    [​IMG]

Had to buy a truck to get them though... it's another '61, but with a '63 front clip on it. Weird options on the truck too... extra heavy duty generator, power steering, automatic transmission, factory hydraulic trailer brakes and 9 foot step side bed with spare tire carrier.

It used to be yellow... I'm thinking gubbamint rig. SV304 V8 under the hood with Holley 2300 and dual exhaust.

[​IMG]

Surfcityrocker likes this.