Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '54 Chevy 210 post build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Mar 30, 2015.

1. cretin

cretin

@deto , Hey, No I don't have any dies for the belt line. I did have plans to make some though, once I got around to the area I need to repair on my car, most likely near the end when it gets a chop.
    But I don't mind making the dies sooner if it helps you out. What sections do you need to repair?

2. cretin

cretin

I need to order material for the T project and couldn't make any progress on that, so I messed around with the '54 today. While I don't like to admit it, I made a mistake somewhere along the way, and I wasn't really happy with how the eyebrow fit with the top part of the bezel, so I addressed that first. After that, I turned my attention to the small transitions on the side. While I had easily made the transition from the eyebrow to the body line, I was having trouble visualizing the transition from the bottom section of the headlight to the eyebrow/body line transition. So, I just started working on it, and the photos are what I came up with. It turns out that it was hard to get a good photo of it. Light lines were playing tricks in the photos, but I'm pretty happy with how it looks in person.

Here is the transition from the front.

[​IMG]

And here is the profile.

[​IMG]

3. Nice work not sure how I missed this thread!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always good to see progress on this build, lots of nice fine details. Bob

Spoggie likes this.
  5. 50blackbird

50blackbird

Great build...subscribed

cretin likes this.
  6. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Looks great!
    Can I ask what your plans are for the trunk? My brothers '53 has the notch and suspension done and the next project to get buttoned up is the trunk floor. We are looking for a game plan.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

7. cretin

cretin

Sure, I planned on making a removable bulkhead behind the seat, and behind the notch which will go behind interior. I want to make both sides removable so I can get good access to the rear suspension if need be. Also, because my valves, and tank mount on top of the notch.
    As for the rest of the trunk area, I had also planned to make a removable floor. A lot of people use the mustang tank as the trunk, but I want to make a trunk floor panel that goes above it. My plan is also to have removable sections on the sides of the trunk. One side will house the battery, and one will have a hidden storage space for things I want in there permanently, but don't want rolling around in the trunk all the time.
    I would most likely fasten all these panels except the trunk side panels with Dzus fasteners. Trunk side panels would just be a press fit.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

8. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

Did the firewall or tunnel need to be modified to fit the 350/350 combo originally? I would like to get back on my 54' 210 project to get it going as a daily too.

9. cretin

cretin

The 350/350 combo was in it when I bought it, but it appeared the only modifications made to the body for it was trimming the firewall ribs around the valve covers, and of course a hole in the floor for the shifter. The rest of the firewall, and tunnel were still stock.
    This didn't leave much room for a fan, but I found a thin Spal fan that did the trick.

19ChevyFleetline50 likes this.
  10. SpazTaztic

SpazTaztic

So would the stock style new aluminum radiator fit in stock location, or would it need to be moved forward?

11. brady1929

brady1929

Your work is amazing!

12. cretin

cretin

I used a stock style walker for a small block and I left it in the stock position. But there is room to move it forward depending on what parts you plan to use.

Thanks so much.
    This car has been neglected for too long. I have another project that I want to get into, so I debating getting this ready to sell. I really wanna finish it too though.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cpd682 likes this.
  13. Did you get a '36?

14. cretin

cretin

I have yet to pick it up, but yes getting a '36 3 window. I've gotta find room for it, but don't really want to part with anything. haha.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. cretin

cretin

I finally made a little progress on the 'ol poor '54. I'm going to have to move it soon, so I decided to to get the front sheet metal work wrapped up so I can bolt it back on. Then my goal will be to take care of a few other sheet metal issues, and get it back on the road.

I finally wrapped up my my headlights, at least for the time being. There is still a little bit of tuneup I want to do, but in the interest of getting the car on the road, I'm going to move on and fine tune it later on.

So the next step is the hood. Time to peak and one piece the hood, then round the corners.
    So, I fit and clecoed in the front peak. After much deliberation, I decided to go with a peak that fades out like the stock piece instead of running it the length of the hood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice to see you back on the '54, will that be hammer and dolly work or English wheel smoothing? Bob

17. cretin

cretin

Today I got the peak fit and tacked in, and got the top piece made and clecoed in.

[​IMG]

Wrench666 and slo-dat like this.
  18. cretin

cretin

It feels good to make some progress on it.
    I will use a hammer and dolly to finish it. Maybe planishing hammer if I can con one of the other guys to stay late and help me hold it.

19. cretin

cretin

I got a bit more time in on the hood after work today.

One of my friends at work gave me the idea to make a little radius detail at the end of the peak on the front of the hood. I thought it was a great idea so I went for it.
    I made a patch for the front that included these radii, and the flange under the front of the hood.

It took longer then I expected it to to get the patch right, but I think the effort was worth it. I think it gives the peak a much more finished look.

[​IMG]

It still needs a little fine tuning, and I'll probably get to that tomorrow. Then I can finish the rest of the peak patch, then get rid of the holes and welds seen in the above photo.

jakespeed63 and kiwijeff like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice, guess you have to round the corners now. :)Bob

21. cretin

cretin

That's right! I have a rounded corners fetish, so that's always been the plan, now this can be a nice tie in to that,
    I'm always looking to round corners!

22. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet stuff,Cretin.Serious talent...

23. cretin

cretin

Thanks!

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks great!
    How did you form the peak,with beadroller?

25. cretin

cretin

Thanks!
    I used the Pullmax. We happened to already have a die made that worked for the peak so I used that.
    I describe making that piece in post #21.
    Had I not had access to a Pullmax, I most likely would have used a bead roller.

To make the front section with the radii at the end of the bead, I used the Pullmax for the peak, the bead roller to establish the line for the radii, then tuned it up by hand. Lately the brake to make the flange.
    Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of the process of the front piece. It took me a couple test pieces to get it figured out.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Stogy likes this.
  26. cretin

cretin

Put in some more time on the hood today. Since I'm not going to be able to get the hood done before I have to move the car like I wanted to, I decided to concentrate on the front of the hood, and I'll do the top after the move.

I cut out the welds seen in the last post and filled that an the holes from the last post. Rounded the hood corners, then welded up the peak patch. I began hammering and finishing the welds, and got up to about the center of the curve on the hood before I decided it was quitting time.

I still need to dykem and smooth out this whole front area. I'll probably do that after removing the rest of the welds that are there and before doing the hood top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That peak sure looks great.I wish i have the access for Pullmax too,but i guess the beadroller is my way to go.Keep up the good work!

28. Looks great Kyle. The detail at the end of the peak is fantastic.

29. cretin

cretin

Yea, I'm pretty lucky to have access to one. It's one of my favorite tools.
    And thanks, I'll try to keep it up!

Thanks! I really like the detail at the end of the peak too. I'm glad my friend gave me the idea. I've been looking at other hoods since I did it, and I think it makes it look like it was always intended to be that way. I can't wait to see it back on the car.

30. cretin

cretin

The car said goodbye to what's now the old shop today.

[​IMG]

And it's now at its new resting place at my parents place.

[​IMG]

Now that tax season is over and the car is back here, my old man should be able to lend a hand with it, and hopefully this and the T can see the road again soon.

I'm happy with how the front end is coming together. I think it's going to look great once I do the fender side of those rounded hood corners.