Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical mounting a '39 trans.in a '32 open drive

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by terry k, Jan 18, 2017.

1. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Looked for some info on this. No luck..... Flathead/'39 trans. open drive. using stock "K" member. I'm sure I'm not the first. Just about to get my motor back and mount the trans. I noticed the open drive trans mounts are to wide to fit thru the cross member. Any photo s of this set-up ?? Just planning ahead..

2. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Why open drive?

3. You need to get the '32 trans mount pieces.
    Al.

4. flatoz

flatoz

5. alchemy

alchemy

The original 32 rear mount won't work with the open drive guys.

Are you using an F-1 rear mount on your trans? Does it stick through enough to build short pads off the backside of the K, and then hold biscuits like a 40 Ford trans would use? Look on your favorite parts vendor's website and visualize those mounts sitting behind the K member. But you will need to mock your trans up in mid-air first to measure.

If the F-1 rear mount doesn't fit through the stock K hole from the front side, can you install it after the trans is in place?

6. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Alchemy you are correct. That is why I posted the question. Stock stuff does not work with open drive. Just going open because I have an old steel Q.C. (conversion)with open drive. Looks like I will have to wait for my engine to return and mount tranny to see just were the rear mount will be located. Will have to remove it and replace it on the other side of the "K" member.

7. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

I thought you could bolt up the '32 bearing retainer/mount to the '39 box, and use a 40's Ford truck open-drive U-joint. Am I missing something?

8. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, Sanford, you are missing something. The F-1 rear mount-housing has support for the yoke like the end of a modern transmission housing supports a modern yoke. And it also has ears on the sides to set on some rubber biscuits.

Terry, how about converting the old quickchange to a closed drive? Will a torquetube bolt up to the flange? If it does, then I think most of the time the lower shaft has the same splines as an old Ford closed driveshaft. You might need to fudge the length of the enclosed driveshaft a little, but the whole thing might look like Henry intended when done, and solve a host of problems. Sure eases the rearend mounting (no wishbone problems if they are attached to the TT like they should be).

cactus1 likes this.
  9. Just so others understand your problem, I assume this is the type of open drive conversion you have, please correct me if I am wrong.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_1970 (2).jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  10. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Yes that is correct !! That mount will not go thru the "K" member. After it gets on the other side it will need mounts. Not even sure it will clear the "K" opening.

11. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Anyone ??? Anyone ??

12. flatoz

flatoz

looks like K member surgery, but I"m guessing you don't want to do that. Must be some way around it. But sorry, no easy answer.

can you post pictures of what is looks like in the chassis as best you can ?

13. bct

bct

The truck open drive ears are narrower than the 39 car mounts. I wonder if they fit thru the 32 k member hole without cutting.?

14. alchemy

alchemy

Have you considered the closed drive conversion?

15. Some companies make open drive conversions for the early transmissions, any chance they might work with the original '32 mount?

Charlie Stephens