Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs ???? MYSTERY MERC ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austinrod, Jan 11, 2017.

1. I agree with the other guys like Squablow that say for the right price, it's not far from being "right." That's the way I got into my Merc....and older build that needed some love, but the big pieces were in the right place and got it for a good price. As time goes on, I keep chipping away at the rough edges and nearly have it all tuned back in for less than starting from scratch or buying a "nice/right" car.

2. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Plot thickens
    [​IMG]

Sancho likes this.
  3. aaggie

aaggie

It's hard to find an ugly early '50s Merc but I think you've done it.

4. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

From Facebook
    I may know some of it's story. It was being built at a welding shop next to East Moline Speedway back in the 80's. I bought a '52 Merc there. This Merc was in back of the shop, all in primer. Built for a local police officer if I remember. Everything on it was opened electrically - and his battery died one day, trapping him in it. (always have a manual override or back up) The late Rob Lindholm (of Quad City Cruisers fame) I believe did a lot of the work.

5. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

From Facebook
    Ok, it was in Hamilton Ohio in 91 in red prime. I'll post the pic later. Kevin Danny put up a post on here wheh the car was for sale . It had what could only be described as a conversion van interior. It looks awesome here compared to the ad that Kevin posted.

6. For history, I'd start in death notice archives, because somebody killed that one.

7. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, I think it is KOOL, it's a survivor kustom, I'd leave it as is. If it trips your trigger, go for it. You can make some changes to suit your taste/vision, how is the chassis, suspension, engine, drive line, brakes, etc.., drive good ? Have someone check it out for you if you don't have the experience/knowledge. Again IMO, 40K puts you in a $$$ class where you get choice's, several Mercury's are for sale in that range. Reading, it sounds like you are getting some history on car, I Have stated this many times, this hobby is about Passion IMO, I don't believe there's any car that pleases everyone, it's your $$$, do what pleases YOU !

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when i saw the rear shot i was reminded of the "railroad tie" bumpers the feds mandated back in the day.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think you should look at others before buying that one.

10. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Save your money and find an original one then you'll have something.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here when it was in red primer in 1991
    [​IMG]

Sancho and wicarnut like this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

An Iowa plate with Scott county plates. Davenport is in Scott county.

13. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Found video of it from the 1991 Ohio kkoa show comes up at the 3:00 mark

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    stanlow69 and Sancho like this.
  14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

If you are into that type of car go for it. But if you want to make it into a more presentable Merc. then you will have modifications to be made, part to acquire and then when it is together you will probably have to paint it again. Bottom line it will cost you a heck of a lot more to rehab it then to find one already done.

15. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

The late Rob Lindholm (of Quad City Cruisers fame) I believe did a lot of the work on the car

Sancho and stanlow69 like this.
  16. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

This is from the Merc Deuce Reunion 99
    [​IMG]
    @stanlow69

Sancho and stanlow69 like this.
  17. redroaddog

redroaddog

Its a great start if price right...ton of potential

18. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Here's the twin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wicarnut and Sancho like this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It was also at the 99 Merc/Deuce Reunion in that version Scan0085.jpg Scan0084.jpg . Here are some pic`s I took of the car before the dips in the doors were removed and with different skirts.

20. Squablow

Squablow

Themoose was nice enough to make some changes to the car in photoshop for me, he added a bumper, put hubcaps on the wheels, eliminated the side mirrors, and redid the headlight area.

The headlights would be tough to do without wrecking the paint, but I think it could be done without having to repaint the car. The bumpers could definitely be done (just cut the pans off and mount the bumpers) and the mirrors and hubcaps would be super simple.

If this doesn't make a believer out of you guys, you're blind. It wouldn't be that hard to do. This car has great style, it's just muddied up with a few odd (but changeable) details.

mysterymerc3.jpg

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Now it looks like every other Merc that was ever built.

Movinman, Austinrod and Sancho like this.
  22. I was thinking the same thing.

stanlow69 likes this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy

So Stan and Sancho, do you prefer the hooded headlights and square bumper pans? There is a reason why lots of Mercs look the same. They have good taste.

lurker mick and Squablow like this.
  24. No one ever accused me of having good taste. :oops:

I do prefer the hooded headlights. The square pans wouldn't be my first choice but I like the fact that this car has been around this long and is virtually unchanged. If it were mine, I would probably put a tube grill back in it. Is it period? Of course not.
    I think it is representative of the 80's custom movement. I would drive it as is...

Austinrod and stanlow69 like this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Yes I do like eagle beaks on customs. This is just a different version. If It was mine, I slim down the bumper pans a bit and reshape them. I`d add bubble skirts and some side chrome. The skirts don`t flow with the car much. I`d remove the side mirrors and tuck the lake pipes under the car more. Now if someone would Photo shop that. If we all liked the same thing, We all would drive 32 Fords, 57 Chevys and Corvettes. But we don`t. Don`t get me wrong, I`d love to have each one of those.

Sancho likes this.
  26. trvguy

trvguy

Thy guy just asked about history and about
    if anyone knows about the car. No need to pick the car apart. It wa built the way the guy wanted it.

Austinrod and stanlow69 like this.
  27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It has just an OK Chop, the rest looks like they couldn't throw enough "body tricks" at it. Hideous in the '80s-'90s, hideous now, someone needs to save it!

28. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Well, you must like this merc for some reason. For forty it would have to have the look and cool factor in parts....which this merc fell short....there's a ton of hammered mercs for sale for that price.....shop around

29. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Thanks for the photoshop are those mercury bumpers

30. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Plus I would be keeping the headlight treatment its different and that what makes you stand out
    And put in a custom grill too