Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Insane 58 Chevy (build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Insane 1, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Thanks, I've seen your thread and have checked it out. I can understand about the hold up...trust me, but don't give up it'll get there.

Thanks, for the kind words. I was wondering how the 56 wagon was going. I knew you had paint but that was the last I heard. Oh, hey you a MOPAR guy...interested in a 65 cuda?? If so let me know.

As for everyone else; Thanks and sorry a little slow, just have a lot on my plate w/my dad passing. I'll get back to this in the next couple of weeks as long as things go ok.

2. hvychvy

hvychvy

Great job,love seeing the progress pics!!

3. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

OMG! You aren't done YET?!

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Hahahaha...........just playin.

4. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

Whatever happened with this thing? Anything new?

5. fbama73

fbama73

Nice to see I'm not the only Ford guy building a Chevy.

I looked through some of my archive of Ford parts ('69 351W block and heads, 66 390 GT heads) and had a few moments of thought of the Chevy. But, I think I'll go with a slightly built Stovebolt, though. Hmm- what about a flathead ? :)

6. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Yea.. it's been a while. I've done some work on the back and most of the big fab work done, just down to smaller stuff and putting in a floor.

Trying to work out a deal on a 68 Galaxie parts car for my 68 conv. that has a 390 and c/6 which is what I'm planning on putting in the 58. If that deal goes I'm be setting up a motor soon.....

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

interesting thread, 58s are cool

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have any of the side trim from that 58 Biscayne 4-door?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  9. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Any updates, you were kickin some ass on this thing before.
    Would like to see where it's at now!

treb11 likes this.
  10. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

11. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

THIS was worth the wait! Tell us more.
    When I was a kid (mid-'60s) there was a Biscayne coupe in my neighborhood that looked like your typical street racer - gold, no front bumper, radiused rear wheelwells, big 'n' littles (but jacked up a bit in front so it sat evenly). The thing I remember most was it had a set of '59 Pontiac Catalina taillights - IIRC they were pretty much a drill-and-bolt-'em fit and looked real good.

12. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Awesome. Great work. I love that it's ford powered. I don't like mixing up drivetrains but you never see a ford in a chevy.

13. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Can't go wrong with a '58. Impressive rust repair.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I love seeing a Ford motor in it and have been threatening to drop a Ford motor in my 37 Chevy p/u but now that the 235 has a rod knocking it might happen.

droppedstepside likes this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love the technical how to, did this for years when I worked in the trade full time and understand everything and why it was done. Love the concept of the FE in the Chevie :p. I can imagine all the comments when you pull up and pop the hood and see a rear sump Ford there.

16. I was on the last page, watching the dates, thinking it'd be a dead thread with nothing for the last few years, so was nicely surprised to see the car on wheels, with the FE in it.

This is great! I love the Ford in a Chevy thing, I'm sure this will be a fun car.

I'll need to keep an eye on this, keen to see it finished.

17. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Just have a million thing going, but trying to get back on this a little bit at least for a while...

This area is way more involved than it looks as it's about 4/5 separate pieces needed to be formed, as it was completely ate through, and still not finished yet... DSC05328.JPG DSC_1805.JPG DSC_1825.JPG

18. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Lower right rear corner was just ate up as well, lucky I have the 4 door that gave up the back half, still a work in progress as I've been jumping all around on the back end DSC_1819.JPG .. DSC_1818.JPG DSC_1820.JPG DSC_1826.JPG

kiwijeff and Squablow like this.
  19. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Nice! I like the direction youre taking this, especially the Ford drivetrain!

20. That is a big job and you have done some nice work. Congrats!

21. raymay

raymay

Great job Insane 1. Always liked 58 Chevy's I had an original Belair Post years ago and my last one was a Biscayne post car which I did as a mild custom.

scan0009.jpg 100_2073.JPG

22. Squablow

Squablow

Glad to see this one is still going, it's been a while!

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looking good as long as it doesnt get sick and spit that bad taste out of its mouth:p.....sorry,:oops: couldnt resist:).......carry on as you please;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  24. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Thanks everyone, yes it has been a while, but customers take priority, and so does the riggers of life sometimes......
    Yeah I know the 390 is not the norm, but it makes me happy.

A few more pics... Had to replace the rear x-member as it was rusted out and along with that, decided that the piece under the trunk need to be replaced, but that entailed building a new channel for the weatherstripping... also got the drivers rear lower skin on. .....rust never sleeps....
    DSC_1782.JPG
    DSC_1858.JPG DSC_1861.JPG

Lone Star Mopar and kiwijeff like this.
  25. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Yes, still working on it..
    The floors were 50/50 patch or replace all of them so by now you know which way I'm leaning....
    From my understanding no one produces full floors for a 58?? I know they are available for every other year Chevy, some one correct me if I'm wrong on that.
    DSC_1939.JPG

Here is what was left of the floors... DSC_1936.JPG
    Did get the right rear corner welded in and the full rocker.
    DSC_1942.JPG
    As it sits now.
    DSC_1930.JPG

26. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man you are doing an awesome job and I am sorry to hear about your dad's passing, best to you and yours~!

27. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Thanks! Yeah, it's been slow going, but it keeps getting put on the back burner. Got too many thing going and not enough hours in the day.....

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

how did you do the rocker? was the inner rocker still good? also, maybe a 59/60 pan would fit with some cutting but not sure

29. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Pics don't show it but yes, I removed the complete pass. outer rocker all the way down including the rocker area of the 4 door piece, as the inner was still good. Welded all the way across the top and spot welded the bottom as factory.

I have read about a few guys asking the question if a 59 pan could be used, but the only thing I have read is that the seat area is a little different?? With as many 58's guys are building, especially Impalas, you would think someone would make a complete pan.