Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hardscrabble Hop-Up; A 1940's Style 'T' RPU build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Holly Shit.....My mind has been officially blown.

2. Absolutely. A modern transmission would be a travesty...IMO, part of the charm of the A is double-clutching!

3. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

4. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

modern trans are lame.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So are you :D

loudbang likes this.
  6. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

my wife thinks so too.

7. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Gwhite, glad to see you're still at it!
    Are you running a lightened flywheel? If so what clutch set up are you using?
    Thanks, johnny
    (Sorry if you've already covered this)

8. Having run a A transmission and the v8 trans daily driven. I would say the synchro ' are awesome.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Yeah, flywheel was lightened...currently weighs 36# - stock is around 62. It was also drilled for the early V8 clutch - I'm using a pressure plate out of a '37 (IIRC)

10. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Thanks Gary, just what I wanted to know. So, does all the other A clutch stuff (throw out brg, clutch arm, etc.) work with V8 plate and disc? Did you keep the same thickness on the flywheel?
    I'm working on a 29 banger powered roadster now and this is the set up I'm trying to use. Got to use my Winfield parts somewhere!
    Thanks again, Johnny

11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Any updates Gary??

camistheman and junk yard kid like this.
  12. Hey Johnny, I don't recall the specs on the flywheel...just that it now weighs 36lbs. James Rogers in Ashville, NC did the lightening cuts and drilled it for the early V8 clutch. Throw out bearing is stock Model A. Just make sure you get the V8 clutch with the flyweights rather than the aftermarket replacement (tractor clutch - lacks flyweights).

Not really, been up to my eyeballs in end of year reporting stuff for work, so my garage time has been limited. Working on getting the front suspension buttoned up and bolted in...no real sexy updates yet, but once I get a 'roller' I'll get it out in the driveway and snap some pics.

camistheman and loudbang like this.
  13. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Thanks Gary.
    Yes, I do have the early pp with flyweights. Now I'm just looking for a machine shop that knows what I'm asking for! "Model what?"
    Johnny

camistheman and loudbang like this.
  14. touring20

touring20

The cool thing about old accessories is you don't have to use them all at once !
    Switch and trade , and enjoy !

camistheman likes this.
  15. Hardscrabble Update !! That's Geee' White laying by his car. :D Happy belated Valentine's Day GW !!

[​IMG]

16. Haha! Sometimes I feel like doing just that :)

We're in the middle of a job transfer and move to Central Tejas, so everything's ground to a halt. Will get back on it, eventually.

17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

When I saw this thread pop up on my sub'd list again I got quite excited thinking that you'd had a chance to get moving on it again :(
    I'm glad I don't have an audience following my projects. Hahaha

camistheman, gwhite and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. dwest999

dwest999
    from Saline, MI

moving... bummer...

camistheman likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of the Best Period Correct Builds on the HAMB. Bob

20. Look Gary, I'm getting tired of your excuses... work, family, now moving?

I wanna see some progress! :D

Seriously though, I saw pictures of the new digs on Facebook. Looks sweet! Congratulations.

21. Man, these epic Christmas parties ! ! Egg nog in the Hardscrabble Hop-up, glass bowl fuel pump, engine noises in the driver's seat naked, wow .... I may even be fired.

Any updates @gwhite ? Miss ya' man. Happy holidays !

Am I slurring ?? Hope I locked up. Stole your mod' password, drank all your beer, found a pirate treasure map and swiped some Texas Swing mix tapes. Take care sir. :)

I just like your thread UP.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    camistheman, gwhite, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. The Hop-Up is in storage for now...getting settled into our new Central Texas home. Got the new garage floor epoxied, so I have that to look forward to :D

Hope to be back at it soon.

KKrod, loudbang, tb33anda3rd and 4 others like this.
  23. Excuses excuses,,,Damn! Gary,grandma is slow,but she is old.

24. bct

bct

every time I hear the word hardscrabble, mostly in ken burns docs, I think of this gem.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. He joined a motorcycle gang that delivers milk and cookies to delinquent senior citizen communities. :) He's happily missing, me thinks. I feel him lurking. We can post graffiti while we wait. I like it !

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is a great build, and you know it will be finished before any of mine. Bob

Outback, Ric Dean, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. great thread

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  28. I heard he ditched the banger, bought a horse and buggy and has been living life circa 1860...

29. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Hardscrabbled.JPG
    I gone through 3 office chairs waiting for the finish line,,,,,,

30. I've gone thru 112 pairs of undies since then as well .... as long as we're on true confessions. Right ? Or no ... o_O:eek::rolleyes::D:cool:

I feel if we should have a HAMB roast ..... GWhite will really dig us more. Next pile on, please ..... :)

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.