Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Choosing aluminum heads for 59A- advice and survey

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by justanotherguy, Jan 15, 2017.

1. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Hi All, I don't post much, mainly because other peoples projects seem more interesting to me than my own. Anyway, now I could use some feedback on my current project. I'm about to purchase a set of aluminum heads for my 59A. I was lucky to have a good block that is already relieved. I've got a Max One cam with Johnson style lifters, and the new pistons are 100 over. It's going in a fat fender sedan, with the objective of long haul freeway reliability, not racing. The choices are obvious yet a bit confusing. I've gone from considering Offy to Edelbrock to Sharp and Navarro and back through the list over again. The enlarged water jacket of Sharp is appealing, but the flow of Navarro is supposedly superior. I understand the new Edelbrock "block" style has been reengineered for larger water capacity also.
    ??? So I'd like to hear your feedback and also what you are running and why... and are you happy with your choice. Thanks!

2. 42merc

42merc

In my opinion, with a mild engine like yours, there would be no felt difference between any of the currently available heads. The added water capacity is a non issue.
    I would let price be my guide.

justanotherguy likes this.
  3. Can you buy new Navarro or Sharps? (this is a question)

I was talking to a flathead guy a few years back and he said that unless you needed the nostalgia of old heads that he always suggested new aluminum heads over the old ones. his said that the modern alloys and design was far superior to the old heads.

4. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Agreed , or you choose by liking the prefered speed shop

5. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Thanks guys... I was kinda coming to that same conclusion. I'll probably go to the GNRS in a couple of weeks and decide there. When this project is done, a few years from now (ha!) I'll post a pic.;)

6. All these brands of heads will work just fine - I'd make my decision on which heads you like the best (looking at them). Also, consider what manifold you're going to run - it is sometimes nice to have a 'matched set' . . . but obviously not a necessity. In the end, whether one set costs $150 more or less than the other - will it really matter? Get what you like looking at - as you'll be looking at them for a long time. Now if the cost is the BIG factor, then making your decision will end up being easy . . .

7. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

cyclone 24s

8. Squablow

Squablow

If there is a certain period you are trying to stay with your build, that might affect your choice. Certain styles of heads weren't available until after a certain date, ect. It's not a big deal to some people, but it's huge to others.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  9. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Porknbeaner, yes you can get new Sharp and Navarro through H&H, I think Reds and a couple of other venders. Squablow, good point and yes, I'm keeping the aesthetics to very early 50s at the newest. Now, Sawbuck, Cyclones would be great but didn't know you could still get the re-pops... I heard they ran out, and when I last checked the price was beyond my budget. Do you have other info? Again guys, thanks for the feedback. It's reinforcing that there's maybe no bad choice here.

10. I choose Offenhauser because I knew Fred and now his son Tay,,They have been in business FOREVER

11. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

You are right; there is no bad choice out there as far as new flat head heads go. From the brands you have listed the Sharp and Navarro heads will flow and perform just that much better. Some other new heads that haven't been mentioned previously are Eddie Meyer, Elco Twin, Smith and Ord. These are currently available from Don Orosco at Monterey Speed and Sport. Don's stuff is absolutely top quality and might be worth a look. The Hogan heads are new as well and are currently available. Rumor has it that the original Harrell head patterns are going to be repaired and a run could be possible in the near future. Now you have more choices to look at other than the ones in the new H & H catalog that I know you were just thumbing through.

12. 2935ford

2935ford

Well, I was in that position when building my 59a motor. .125 over, Iksy Jr, Merc 4" crank, 390 4bbl.
    I read through lots of info and what made up my mind was reading John Lawson's flathead book "Flathead Facts"with real world dyno.
    I just happened to have a pair of 221 heads and used them. So far, I'm a happy camper and........ saved a lot of money!

13. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

OK, decision made...!
    Thanks again to all the good points and suggestions, fellas.
    I spent way to much time thinking on this, but yesterday I came home with a set of these:
    Navarro head.jpg

14. hammerd 31

hammerd 31

Good choice!