Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fentons or Williams?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Sep 8, 2016.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I have another thread going about splitting a stock 235 manifold but I didn't want to take it off track. If I don't use the factory manifold I'll be using cast headers. I always lean toward Fentons (as I'm sure most do) but NCA has Williams that look identical. If I go the header route, I was thinking I'd just get the NCA dual exhaust full setup. I've seen people say the pipes don't fit well but does anyone have any pictures of them being poorly bent or uneven or whatever? I feel like it would be easy enough to cut/re-weld the pipes to fit the way you want them to fit. The reason I'm leaning towards the full system (even with having to tweak it) is that out of my three local exhaust benders, the cheapest price I was quoted is $300+ just to bend the head pipes. That's on top of the $250 or so for the headers. That's pretty much the price of the full system from NCA. So what's the deal with the Williams headers, where are they made, how's the quality? While on the subject, does anyone know the pipe gauge and diameter for the exhaust? Thanks guys and gals

2. Stinkee

Stinkee

I have a set of Williams cast manifolds and just bought a set of pipes from NCA I wont know for a couple weeks or so but ill keep you posted. kind of thought what you did for the money didn't look too bad.

3. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

The williams headers use two factory style donut gaskets, right? That's another reason I'm leaning towards them.

4. A friend used the NCA / Williams Headers kit, said he was disappointed as to the FIT of the headers, during installation.
    He also had the same complaint, regarding their pipes.

5. Stinkee

Stinkee

Yes they do was reading the instructions for the installation if the exhaust looks like there is some trimming to do ill keep you posted. oh and if you buy just the pipes without the headers from NCA.
    they come with glass packs I didn't see that and bought a set of cherry bombs as well lol story of my life

6. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Yeah, please do. I definitely don't want to trim anything. I have a '51 so I dont have a motor mount in the way which is where I would imagine the trimming needs to be.

7. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

What'd you ever find out about the header fit?

8. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I've seen people say the rear header requires mods to the car itself to make it fit but it looks like the rear outlet is in the same spot as the factory outlet. Of course I don't have a side motor mount to worry about with the front outlet so that's not a concern of mine

9. High5

High5

The rear header pipe will most likely interfere with the parking brake linkage. At least it has with every car I had a split system on. One exhaust shop just pounded the exhaust pipe in a little and it worked fine. Another shop tweaked the pipe with their bender. Both fixes were pretty inexpensive. I cannot speak for NCA. The Chevytalk forum has had a few members chime in on the Williams system. Good luck with your decision.

10. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I wonder if I couldn't just use the factory pipe for the rear header? I know the original fentons were designed to do that so maybe the Williams headers will work the same. Even if I buy the set up from NCA and only use the front pipe and headers, I still feel that is worth 600

11. High5

High5

Typically the rear header pipe route's to the passenger side of the car (unless you plan to route both pipes together). Never tried to using the factory pipe on the rear. The kits I purchased had the rear header pipe pre-bent to the passenger side.

12. Stinkee

Stinkee

I totally blame my self here for the lack of motivation. sadly for me at least, they are still in the box they shipped in. hopefully I can get off my dead patoot and get cracking on that engine ASAP I will take pictures and post on this thread as soon as I do sorry about that!

13. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Haha no worries. I'll look forward to hearing from you

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I put a set of Fentons on a 50 Chev we had already installed a 59 235. As I remember the parking brake or anything else caused a problem. I would prefer a donut style gasket but did not have a problem with the flat style.

15. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Did the rear outlet dump right into the e brake or? I don't have side motor mounts so I should be good there

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry it was 1984 and I just don't remember other than saying I didn't have any glaring problem. I did not add any different mounts so I probably use the 1950 style which maybe different than the 53. It was a car for my son in HS so I know I kept the e-brake. We should have never sold it. Vega 4-speed, 56 rear end, black tucknroll, chrome window moulding, 12 volts....

17. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I misread. I thought you said you DID have interference with the e brake. That's good to know that you didn't.

18. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Got my dual exhaust put on today. I ended up having an Amish guy split a factory manifold for me...for $65!!! I got 2" pipes all the way to the rear bumper with pencil tips, and no mufflers. It's not overly loud at all, as a matter of fact I think it sounds perfect.

Stinkee likes this.
  19. RMONTY

RMONTY

You know the rules.... if there are no pics it didn't happen!

20. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Lemme see what I have here...

21. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

20170322_111648.jpg I did this with a drill and ball peen hammer. 20170412_121207.jpg Thats a flange off a spare manifold and a plumbing elbow.

22. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Screenshot_2017-04-24-19-10-18.png The guy did this by eye. It goes under the oil pan.
    Screenshot_2017-04-24-19-10-25.png Both pipes are exact opposites of each other Screenshot_2017-04-24-19-10-31.png Gotta love front motor mounts. These are 2" pipes all the way back.
    Screenshot_2017-04-24-19-10-36.png It's beautiful isn't it

Attached Files:

23. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Blaap! Blaaap! :)

24. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

And the best part...it was only $65 to get the manifold done and $200 to get the pipes done and that includes parts and labor

25. RMONTY

RMONTY

Yeah....thats sweet! Awesome price too!

26. Stinkee

Stinkee

that sounds like a pretty good deal!!

27. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

It's a killer deal!!! One place wanted $300 just to bend the downpipes and another place wanted 5-$600 to do the pipes. Add to that the $250 or so for the headers, the throttle linkage issues and the pain in the butt it must be to line 3 seperate pieces up and volt them on

28. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So with the 5 speed in, the exhaust sounds completely different. It pops and all during deceleration, but it sounds horrible. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the divider plate inside the manifold. What will that do to the sound of it?