Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 Steering

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indomwe, Jan 15, 2017.

1. I am using a F-1 steering box in the stock model A frame location in my 30 roadster build. Trying to figure out optimum column length, I believe model A is 41 inches and F-1 is 44 inches. Have mocked up a seat to determine what length I should cut my Column to. I am thinking sticking with the stock model A length. Just wanted to check what others have done and their experience before I cut up my column

2. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are lots of variables. The steering shaft comes out of the top of the box on a model a and comes out the bottom on an f1. Go with what feels right with the steering wheel you are using. My steering wheel is dished so it had to be shortened more. Sorry for the bad pic. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Your best bet is to place the steering wheel where you are comfortable and it's not interfering with your legs or windshield. I cut my shaft 3 inches once I set it in place. I had my windshield post chopped and leaned so my steering wheel at the stock length would have looked funny. Not to mention my hands would have also been an inch away from rubbing on my windshield if I didn't cut the shaft down.

Texas Webb likes this.
  4. Budweiser, I love your video. I also set mine in place and think I have to cut mine down 3 inches. I too have a cut down windshield. I think I have figured out what I want to do, was just looking for experience that others have had. By the way what steering box are you using ??

Sent from my SM-G925V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

F1 box, stock column (length) with reds headers...

Image0847.jpg

6. Question, I assume that the box is in stock model A location. With the stock length on column you didn't find it too far out from dash?? On mine it seems to sit out quite a way, I guess though that's all preference

7. mark hogan likes this.
  8. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

we shortened the column at the steering wheel (machined to fit different wheel) so it comes close to the windshield, just enough room to get your hand on it......(best pic i have at the moment) IMG_5621.JPG

Jet96, slimcat7m3 and bct like this.
  9. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

I'm using a 56 ford f 100 box that I had the flange machined down and had a weld on spacer made to fit my model a frame. I had the box sent out to a guy on ig called nealinca. He machined my box and made two spacers so I can bolt it right on to my model a frame. Welded the 1/2 inch spacer to the gear box once I had my steering wheel at the proper angle. 100$ for him to machine and make my spacers needed. I had to mail my box to him but had a two week turnaround. He can also rebuild your box if need be.

10. Budweiser

Budweiser
    from california

Forgot to mention I had to make the whole for the gear box to two inches but in the spot as the original box. I believe the model a gear box had a diameter of 1 1/2 inches and the f100 box is 2inches.

11. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Mine: '28 sedan on a '30 frame, f-1 box in stock "A" location done as per Bishop/Tardel book. I took an inch out of the shaft and mast and topped it off with a 3 bar Grant wheel. I agree with "slimcat" and "budweiser" about windshield and leg clearance and comfort being the deciding factors. That's how I did mine. Regards, Dave. IMG_20170116_210622.jpg IMG_20170116_210943.jpg IMG_20170116_210909.jpg

slimcat7m3 and Budweiser like this.