Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Carlini Autographics in Newport Beach CA, anyone familiar?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have an old soap box derby car with a pretty wild paint job and it's got a hand-lettered logo that says "Carlini Autographics Newport Beach CA" on both sides. I've done a google search about 10 different ways and can't find anything on them. Wondering if anyone is familiar with the company? It would really help me figure out just how old (or new) this soap box derby car is. Thanks in advance!

Mac

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a Tony Carlini here in Motown that did many things, much of it custom Harley stuff. Local folklore moves him out west many decades ago. There was a time when a Carlini paint job on your Harley meant something. Could be a possible angle for you to get closer. That name and custom paint, not too big a stretch, no?

3. Originally from Michigan, Tony Carlini was in Southern California for many years before passing away in 2002 . He owned Carlini Design and did motorcycle parts including the famous Torque Arm. He was also an accomplished bike builder and painter/stripper. I helped hi with parts on a few bikes he built in the late 90's. He also owned the 1991 Ridler Winning 33 coupe that Boyd did most of the work on.
    I am pretty sure that your Soap Box derby car was done by Tony, probably in the 80's/early 90's. Can you post a picture?

Sky Six likes this.
  4. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

His son T J Carlini runs the motorcycle parts business . You can probably find him online , nice guy .

5. Detroit Painter and bike builder...here s a pic....ahhhhh the 70's haha

Attached Files:

51 mercules likes this.
  6. Clutchburner

Clutchburner
    from Michigan

I grew up across the street from tony in dearborn.I actually caught monarch butter flies with tony he used on the bike pictured.he painted a vw bug for my dad wow what a paint job it was! He had a custom bike shop in dearborn hts and later on Telegraph Rd in redford.he was as cool a guy as they come.when he moved from across from us,the new home owner asked if we knew the previous owners because everything including the hot water tank had pin striping on it.

7. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Thanks everyone. I wish I had a good pic to post. I have it all packed away in a trailer, heading for the Pomona swap meet this weekend. When I unpack it I will get some pics. I found his signature in the pinstriping. Real small letters that say Carlini, so I know he striped it and painted it, so it sounds like this is the guy. Cool! Thank you.

8. TIGMan40

TIGMan40

Tony was a great guy who wore many hats. Along with the custom bike stuff he was also involved with Los Gatos Ferrari and I believe he was even Hulk Hogan's fight promoter for a bit. The Ridler winning 33 was actually built at Gary Case's Stylin' Concepts in North Ridgeville, Ohio. Although the car sat on a much modified Boyd chassis, I did all of the metal work on the car myself. Custom hood and sides, hand formed rockers, chopped top, trunk gutters and drains, custom recessed tail lights, floors etc. The gunmetal gray Sikkens paint was applied by the late Keith Palcisko. After it won the Ridler and came to live in California, Boyd talked Tony into changing all of the machined stainless fasteners to chrome pieces because he told Tony the stainless would break, which was crazy. But Tony being the nice guy that was let Boyd have his way. Wonder where the car ended up.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Heres more crappy pictures. Car is for sale or trade.
    IMG_3748.JPG IMG_3749.JPG IMG_3750.JPG IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3748.JPG IMG_3749.JPG

51 mercules and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Tim McCallum Sr.

Tim McCallum Sr.

11. Harald Albrecht

Harald Albrecht

Hi all, just found this forum, as it happens we own the soap box car now! Glad we found the history on it! Thinking of maybe selling, what do you all think it is worth?