Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I like '54 Fords and thought I had seen this car in the past.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Alan,Al's CDT, posted a photo of a '54 Ford pulling a trailer in the camper/trailer thread that caught my attention and was towing his C Cab T is on the trailer ~ In the UK in 1974.

[​IMG]

I sent Alan a PM and told him the car looked very similar to a English rock stars car I had seen years ago but couldn't remember the musicians name.

Alan replayed that he had purchased the '54 from his good friend, the late John Bonham, drummer for Led Zeppelin in 1974.

Alan pointed out that John is wearing the red shirt.

[​IMG]

I saved these photos on my computer a long time ago. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan sold this car to buy the infamous Andy Brizio Instant "T" C cab from John.

Alan said he had lost track of the '54 but thinks it is now painted black.

Maybe he will chime in and correct any errors and possibly fill in any blanks. HRP

DBruce, 3W JOHN, quick85 and 2 others like this.
  2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, I love seventies hot rods.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! Communication breakdown HRP. You couldn't remember John Bonham's name? Talk about dazed and confused. Love to stay and razz you some more but time to ramble on.

i.rant, B Bay Barn, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. "Hey,Hey what can I do" I Didn't remember him as being the owner,"How many more times" do I have to say it.

"Your time is gonna come" when you have a senior moment.

Sometimes there is just a "Communication breakdown". HRP

JeffB2, 3W JOHN, Stogy and 4 others like this.

5. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

KEEP A-COOLIN' IT, BABY!

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Another famous singer that is shown with a '54 Ford,I don't know if he owned it our not but he sure didn't mind leaning on the fender. HRP

[​IMG]

JeffB2, DBruce and 3W JOHN like this.
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hey, does that say "427 CI" on the hood scoop?
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Hey HRP,
    Just saw this thread.
    Here is a nice one on Cl in Worcester MA.
    for $10,000 obo.
    Looks pretty cool and a coupe as well!
    I don't like white but....
    Just passing info, don't know the guy
    and nothig in it for me!
    Tony

00t0t_6tmG7g61xtU_1200x900.jpg

quick85 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. It does look like it. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  11. That's pretty nice but out of my price range. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. SJ13

SJ13
    from PNW

13. SJ13

SJ13
    from PNW

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

gotta like that!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Who remembers this one, I thought it had a 427 but read it was destroked to 395 cu. in.

[​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ted Wells, he raced a SS/D 427 Fairlane after this car, there was a big write-up on the motor in this car in Car Craft in 1972 or '73, I think it was a lot smaller than that. Memory says it was a 352 with 427 heads and a home-made tunnel ram. Ran AHRA Hot Rod, think it ran D/HR??? Just going by memory of an article I last saw 40 some years ago on the engine details, so don't hold me to this. VERY cool car

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. So from what I can understand Daniel Covey, who lived in Duarte LA sold the car to Bonham? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  19. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

I remember seeing this car up for sale in either Street Machine or Custom Car years ago and it was listed as being a 406. Always liked '54s after that. Never saw any color pics until this thread. Still love it now.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Alan,(Al's CDT) purchased the car from John Bonham in '74.but he sent it down the road shortly after he bought it...Alan said he was going to try and get in touch with the owner of the car now,he said he thought it has been painted black. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  21. Hey Danny, Old Blue Eyes and I share the same birthday... along with the state of Delaware :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. I was intrigued as a kid by a Car Craft (IIRC) article years ago on a Washington state racer named Cal Method. He had a mean '54 Ford and ran a real tricked out 352. I've looked up information on him... nothing. His wife Maryann was racing in a stock class up to recent years. I just found a link to her in a Nova from 2015.
    http://www.autoimagery.com/gallery/v/2015/PHX/SE/Cal+Method/1508-05652.JPG.html

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. image.jpg image.jpg

Danny thought you might like this!!
    It's up for sale over here.

deathrowdave and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Thanks Alan,that's a Currier sedan delivery,I would think they are rare in your corner of the world, HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is across "the ocean" and "over the hills and far away" but "going to California" with a board in the back "down by the seaside" she'd be a "heart breaker". JMHO HRP

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Billy,as I sit her with my "BRANDY & COKE" and I had thought that I should "BRING IT ON HOME" to the states ,but through "GOOD TIMES,BAD TIMES" and "ROCK AND ROLL" my "SUGAR MAMA" has left me "NO QUARTER".

Thinking about that car has made me 'SICK AGAIN","THAT'S THE WAY" it's gonna be so "THANK YOU" for posting,it is "WEARING AND TEARING" on me but if I had the money it would be "CELEBRATION DAY". HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  27. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You guys are great with the Led Zeppelin references. No one has mentioned "Moby Dick", especially appropriate because of the great drum solo by John Bonham. I especially like the live version where they let him go for 11 or 12 minutes. I just stop work and listen when it floats out listening to my Led Zeppelin Pandora station. I like that '54 as well, too bad it's black now, those flames were bitchin'.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. This was the reg paper, notice it said 6 cylinders !, I've also still got the original plates.
    I know I've got an ugly mug!!!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

29. That's a piece of history Alan and as for the photo,if ou had a tan noone would know you not a Californian! :) HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ive seen Cal Method race since the late sixties, and I've never seen him in anything but a chevy, and never anything but Stock eliminator. I think you are confusing the Ted Wells article I mentioned above with an article they did on Cal Method about 2 years later.
    I have literally dozens of Cal Method photos, but they aren't really HAMB friendly.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.