Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's another cover in the on going series, 'To Chop Or Not To chop ".
    I am sure the Aussie hot rod purists amongst us would cringe at the thought of chopping The Arrowsmith coupe.
    Would I? Hell yeah.
    Let's see if this generates some comments.
    Although it did eventually get chopped by it's owner builder 20 years after he originally built it.
    Geoff aka whodaky

PS. Tony is that Sam in the image?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  2. Be interesting to see the chopped version actually finished, I don't imagine there's much room inside. Although being a short ass I'd probably still fit.

3. The Arrowsmith coupe is a iconic car, and in my mid one of the best Aussie coupes ever built.
    Having said that, a 5-6" chop would awesome, especially if it also gets a 6"chopped 34 grill.
    I'd expect the banter of 'loosing it's Aussie heritage to the American styling', and I can appreciate the reasoning, however, if I had a chance, that would be my twist on things, as I always liked the styling of the coupe Wayne Sweeney built.

4. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Geoff you really know how to my day and these covers of the coupe and roadster are perfect .They really put a smile on my face .
    Geoff , thanks for your covers mate they put a smile on my face first thing in the morning .the back pain one is cool too ,love the garage scene one it is really cool also . I agree with Swifty and think you should come to the run and show your coupe to the boys and show them your talent , make this year your comeback to the true hot rudders fertainty just come mate ...........

tmf and Drewfus like this.
  5. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

6. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

I really love it , this car really got me in traditional hot rods .

7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I thought I would get a bit of action happening in here with that cover.
    FB, if that was your coupe you would learn to live with it. As most of us who have hot rods learn to live with them.
    Drewfus, I think the proportions of the Arrowsmith coupe are improved out of sight with the chop. I think it looks so much better in the blue and with the original chrome wheels than it does with it's dark paint and 5 slot wheels. But that's just my thoughts.
    Damn Tony, you must have been up for days putting all those replies together. I am glad you are enjoying my feable attempts at photochopping journalism. I do put a lot of thought into piecing them all together.

Geoff aka whodaky

8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's a lot simpler cover, but I really like it and the car.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

p__moore and 509garyd like this.
  9. Completely agree, the car has the stance, and the primary profile, the tone of the colour and the style of rims make such a notable difference, but either way, glad to see it still in service, and with us as such.

Completely agree, especially the drive on Saturday, if ever there was a day celebrating the things we love, and with a great group of people, that event is it. Please consider it.

Cheers,

And thanks for the great covers,

Drewfus

tmf likes this.
  10. bustid

bustid
    from australia

Hay Geoff if you change your mind and decide you want to go to the rod run I have 2 tickets
    I can pick you up on my way there cheers Darren.

tmf likes this.
  11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for the offer Darren, but I have stuff I need to be doing here.
    Here's a new cover. We've all puledl into a motel after a long day of driving in our hot rods.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    509garyd and Drewfus like this.
  12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I found this image on the HAMB and thought it was really neat.
    I don't know that it is one of my best covers and yes Speed Mechanics was an actual title back then.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  13. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I cheated a bit on this one. The cover I used as the basis for the last cover had the image that I have used for this cover. It is such a neat image I had to use it.
    I really like this cover.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

14. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Your covers are getting better and better I will have all 4 sides plus the underside of my workshop roof done in c size framed pics of your covers !

Big Daddy Choppitt and 509garyd like this.
  15. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou Tom.
    Some are better than others and I am learning new ways of manipulating the program I use. As well as thinking very laterally as to how I actually combine and alter the different aspects that become a cover..
    I think that last one is one of my favorites. Looking at it this morning, the image used has such a youthful innocense about it, that harks back to simpler times.
    Here's a quick cover I just did.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

fuzzybear and 509garyd like this.
  16. Whodaky
    The Hot Rod magazine July 1950, for me, is outstanding, less is more works every time hey? Cannot stop thinking how good it would have been looking out the windscreen of that 3 window whilst cruisin up that twisty mountain road. The Arrowsmith coupe did it for me when I was in grade 6 and your chopped version does it for me today ha ha!! Any chance of changing the grille?
    Keep the covers coming, your work is much appreciated.

17. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou for your comments Garry.
    Yeah that is a nice cover. I found that image somewhere online, it was color. So I went to black and white and oh yes one other important detail, I chopped that 3W and changed it to the other side of the road.
    I will think about the grille change on the Arrowsmith 5W. Although in it's case I think the '32 grille works well especially from the side.
    Here's another contribution.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Drewfus, fuzzybear and 509garyd like this.
  18. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I can be a bit of a sentimental old fool at times ( I can hear some saying, more like an old fool all the time ). Anyhow whilst looking for images I came across the one used on this cover. These are not my parents or even any relation to me . But I knew the image would make a great cover.
    I know my parents were the main influence that made me who I am. I learnt from their good points as well as their bad points and was guided by them through many aspects of my life.
    So I produce and present this cover as a mark of respect to my parents.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

19. I think this cover says it all, great cover Geoff, this will be printed and hung up in my shed for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou guys, I thought that one would strike a bit of a nerve.
    It's amazing the images one comes across. With this magazine concept mindset I have at the moment, the trick is developing an idea from an image and applying it to a cover.
    You'll like this one Gary, another 3W to drive up that winding road, but with a 'changer' singing to you from the rearend. Only, you have to fix it first!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

21. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

This image was hard to resist. An attractive young lady on a great looking motorcycle, splice in a channeled deuce roadster and we have the makings of a great cover shot.
    I did mess a bit with the real title of this magazine. It was actually, Speed, Car, Boats, Plane. But what's a little poetic license amongst friends and readers?

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

fuzzybear likes this.
  22. swifty

swifty

That channelled deuce roadster has a bit of the Billy Agius " Tina Special " flavor to it Geoff. Can't beat a channelled Deuce in any body style.
    Re Lynn Arrowsmiths coupe it was an unwritten law in the early days that any Aussie channelled 34 coupe had to be fitted with a Deuce shell and preferably a sectioned one at that so the top of the shell lined up with the top of the cowl.

509garyd and fuzzybear like this.
  23. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

In my eyes the Arrowsmith got it right. Unlike so many Aussie channeled coupes that just got it wrong.
    Actually it could be Billy in that roadster Peter, he does get around. But he would have stopped to talk to the attractive young lady on the motorcycle.
    Speaking of channeled '32s.
    I tried a slightly different layout with this cover. not sure I like it.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

24. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's a new cover. Didn't even need to alter this 3W. It even looks good without a grille shell.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Not much action in here today. Not that there is ever a real lot.
    Anyhow, here's a new cover.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

26. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Just got back from Gary's and doing some work on the Austin. Even fired up the 3W and went out in it.
    Thought I would do another cover whilst having a coffee.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]]

27. Very nice, great colours in that one.

28. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou FB. It is a nice image and makes for a nice uncomplicated cover.
    In my quest for images I have come across a few bikes shots that are really neat. The cover I showed the other day with the girl on her bike didn't get any negative feedback, so I thought I would do another cover featuring a bike. Actually I talked to Tony yesterday and he really liked that cover.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

29. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's another I just did. I was going to do it in black and white, but I just love the colors in this image.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Drewfus, 509garyd and fuzzybear like this.