Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 2 Minutes Of Chuck Potvin

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

2 Minutes Of Chuck Potvin

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy, jnaki, HEMI32 and 5 others like this.
  2. Nobey

Nobey

Good ole days, thanks Ryan......

3. Ahhhhhh yes we ran one of those on a small block powered "B" dragster out of our shop back in 1960

4. Waltzing down the Lions Drag strip contralto.
    Very cool clip.

Gabe Fernando likes this.

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks...now what do I do with the other 4 hours and 40 minutes of the day?!

6. Great Old Vid!:cool: Just needed this song in the background.;) Try it!:cool:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

My friend owns the Potvin Deuce roadster that has been fully restored. He has all the memorabilia that goes with the history of the car and restoration. He showed it at the 75th Anniversary at the Peterson in 2007.
    1932 ford hiboy tom\'s 004 (3).jpg 1932 ford hiboy tom\'s 006 (3).jpg 1932 ford hiboy tom\'s 012 (3).jpg 1932 ford hiboy tom\'s 021 (3).jpg

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Here's a photo of Chuck driving the Meb Healy roadster at El Mirage. Austin American body, 32 Ford grille shell and a Chevrolet 6 for power a long time ago and guys think my Austin roadster is something new.:D

Stogy, kidcampbell71, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  9. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Yep, Yep & Yep. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  10. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks for posting. I believe that is the most footage I have seen of them in one video. I have always liked the front mounted superchargers but didn't get to see many when I first started going to drag strips in the early '60s. The top mounted units had pretty much proven their superiority. But it was an important part of early experimenting with superchargers.

11. swimeasy

swimeasy

Man, I am stoked that You all are able to dig this stuff up!!!

12. Best 2 minutes that I'll spend today! We used to drive by Lyons as a kid - never went to it (Dad was not into that type of stuff) - they closed it before I was old enough to drive. Would have loved to take my 34 coupe down that track - sadly, it never happened. But, good ole' Irvindale was cool - and I ran a 'Potvin 425 Eliminator cam' that Chuck himself ground (before Moon took it over). The bad news - I recently 'lost' that cam - lent it to Harvey Crane for some profile mapping, he died before he sent it back and it disappeared afterwards . . . now that sucked!

Nobey likes this.
  13. exprezdan

exprezdan

Do you have a clearer image of the two pictures? I' hoping to get one for one of his adult children who lives in Southern California. Thanks, D

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

His front mounted 6-71 kits always held a strong fascination with me even though they probably were less efficient than the top mounted units. It's a thrill to see one to this day. I was a Lions kid a few years later than those videos but I remember seeing them in action quite a few times. I sure wish I was into photography back then, thank goodness Jnaki was!
    That little Olds powered dragster is my favorite.....

jnaki likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hey B,
    I usually do not have the sound up on any website. I was not accustomed to sound added to my movie clips. So, any sound added was not done by me, but done by someone else. This is the only sound I have added to a Potvin style front 671 powered FED.

The Original Dragmaster was from Carlsbad, CA in 1959. The sound was added later, but taken from the original Dragmaster in September in 1959's Detroit Nationals. My films were taken in the spring or summer of 1959 for this clip.

Dragmaster sound film 1959

Kenny Lindley Don Hampton 1959 sound

These are the only real "sound" from those hard charging race cars and drivers from 1959.

Thanks...
    Jnaki
    It was fun filming back in those days as a teenager. Now, it is fun doing editing and adding real sound to my films. Only the drag racing sounds make it worthwhile.

Anyone have original LP albums listed below: PM me asap...the next generation awaits. No Music, just pure motor acceleration sounds.
    upload_2019-4-4_11-34-48.png

Stogy and LBCD like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Very cool! Nothing like the real sounds. If they didn't "light 'em up" they sure bogged down in those days, didn't they?
    I didn't know Griff Borgeson did audio recordings at the drags. He was sure a busy guy, hot rod journalist, tech writer, photographer and recordist. What a career.
    Thanks again J.

jnaki likes this.
  17. Awesome
    I have 2 Original Potvin 425 Eliminator cams
    One is brand New & beautiful
    I also
    have a master to grind this cam
    Not home but will post pics later
    Love it
    Cheers
    Tony

18. 33e

33e

As a hot rod junkie kid growing up in Anaheim we had very few places we could reach on our bicycles. Stan Betz's shop, (Stan was awesome), Bill Thomas Race Cars, Potvin's, Ray Alley's Engine Masters, Chet Herbert Cams and a scant few others.
    Potvin made go karts in addition to cams and blower drives.
    We got to know early that Potvin's was not a kid friendly place. On the other hand, Herbert and Betz were always welcoming. Chet would allow you to watch cams being ground and let you examine whatever dragster happened to be there at the time. Betz would show you how he layed out and punched louvers.......Von Dutch would drop in to see Stan which was an added attraction.
    Leaning over your bike to get a peek in Potvin's shop thru an open door got you nowhere. Not the end of the world but my experience from long ago.

Stogy likes this.
  19. sdluck

sdluck

How do you pronounce his last name?

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @Ryan & @jnaki...Symphony in Multi Carbs, Blowers and Cheater Slicks

jnaki likes this.