Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Help help help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flattie, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Flattie

Flattie
    from Germany

Hi from Germany, i need your help with a Special Problem i cant fix from here. My lifetime Dream was to own and buy a Rod in the USA and Drive down the Pacific coast Highway for Five weeks, from Seattle across Oregon to California, to Viva las Vegas to join the Show with my own car. So Long so good, the car bought 2016 in Seattle, 1938 chevy qp, 350/350 Weiand blower, the way i like it. A friend of Mine in Yakima puls the car into his Little Shop to fix some coolant Problems and change Some Parts for the 2500 Miles Road Trip. You See my Dream comes true, a German insurance Broker contact a USA insurance Company for the right Third Party liability, i am waiting for the policy. And now the nightmare begins. One Day before Christmas the US Company told the Broker in Germany ( netherlands too) that they DONT Insure non US citizens and my policy and the policys of 10-20 other European citizens are canceled. I cant believe that there is no way to Insure my Dream . Here arme some facts: both drivers are 52/54 years old, German Passport and ESTA to join the USA. Clear international driver License, the car is Titeld in Washington with matching License plate.

WE DONT wanna burrie Our Dream and WE arme to old to wait to a Point in the far Future.
    Here are the companys i ve contact during the Last Week, all with a negativ Feedback:

Farmer, Geico, progressive, Mercury, Sunrise Group........

If anyone could help US with a new idea or direct help, please please please drop me a line
    You could contact me direct on my privat mailad [email protected]

Thx for Reading my comment
    Holger

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will ask a friend of mine that owns her own office locally. Ill be back.

3. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Is Insurance required in Washington? If not, you can drive the car anywhere you want.
    That's why all States that require Insurance (abutting non-Insurance States) charge so much.
    Here in Massachusetts, we're paying to Insure ourselves against the Dopes that come down from New Hampster with not a care in the World!

4. Hope you get help for your dream.

5. oj

oj

Did you try the special interest insurers? Like Haggerty? They might be an alliance member on here.

jvpolvere1 likes this.
  6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've seen posts here from people who actually sell insurance. help help help will not be the terms that catch their attention to come to this thread.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I would try calling Hagerty Insurance. They specialize in collector cars and most like they could consider the possibility of your circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Beat me to it!

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Pretty sure most, if not all, states require liability insurance, or, as an alternative "proof of financial responsibility" e.g. post a $10,000 surety bond in escrow. Nobody hardly does that I bet.

13. ems customer service

ems customer service

there are insurance companies that specialize in non-usa visitors health and car, they are hard to find, check with local travel agent who does work for large corporations that put employees in usa for a while.

also try the german embassy in usa, local embassy also have contacts to help its citizens with local issue's

14. ems customer service

ems customer service

how did you title car in washington state as a non-resident?, is car in your name?

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

TMFCRACING brought his 32 5W over from Europe and drove it across country leaving it at Sacramento Vintage Ford when he returned home. He was on the other day and is still around, suggest you try him for ideas?
    [​IMG]

oj likes this.
  16. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the UK and have a 32 roadster I keep in Southern California and have done since 2005. I was insured initially with Grundy and latterly Farmers and have not had any difficulty getting insurance, but concur that not all insurers will touch non US citizens. I only have a UK driving licence. For the first 3 or 4 years the car wasn't even registered in Ca but that changed following a lengthy roadside meeting with CHP, but that's a different story!

Message me if you require some contact details.

Chris

17. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Just looked on the State of Washington Website, and you have 4-alternatives:
    Auto insurance
    The auto insurance policy must have limits of at least:
    • $25,000 of bodily injury or death of 1 person in any 1 accident.
    • $50,000 of bodily injury or death of any 2 people in any 1 accident.
    • $10,000 of injury to or destruction of property of others in any 1 accident.
    Required proof of auto insurance
    Any time you drive in Washington, you must be prepared to show your auto insurance identification card to law enforcement. You will get this identification card from your auto insurance company when you buy a policy. The card must include all of the following:
    • Name of the insurance company.
    • Policy number.
    • Effective date of the policy.
    • Expiration date of the policy.
    • Description of the year, make, or model of the insured vehicles, or the name of the insured driver. The word “fleet” may be used for more than 5 vehicles owned by the same person or business.
    Failing to show this proof of insurance is a traffic infraction. Knowingly providing false evidence of coverage is a misdemeanor.

Self insurance
    If you have 26 or more vehicles, you may qualify for self-insurance. For more information, contact us at:

Driver Records
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9030
    Olympia, WA 98507-9030

Required proof of self insurance
    Any time you operate a vehicle in Washington, you must be prepared to show your self insurance certificate to law enforcement. The certificate may be printed on any size document and must include all of the following:
    • Self insurance certificate number we issued to you.
    • Effective date of the certificate.
    • Description of the year, make, or model of the covered vehicles, or the name of the covered driver. The word “fleet” may be used in place of the vehicle description.
    Failing to show proof is a traffic infraction. Knowingly providing false evidence of coverage is a misdemeanor.

Certificate of deposit
    If you want to apply for a certificate of deposit…
    1. Submit the Financial Responsibility Application and Affidavit form to us.
    2. After we’ve received your form, we’ll confirm you qualify. If you qualify, we’ll mail or email you to request that you, your financial institution, or securities firm submit the following within 30 days:
    If we don’t receive all documents within 30 days, we’ll send you a denial letter.
    If we don’t receive proof of payment, we can’t process your application.
    What’s the minimum deposit amount?

The certificate of deposit must be for at least $60,000. You can make a deposit of collateral with us (DOL) or in a bank account set up for the State of Washington.

You must show proof of your certificate of deposit

Any time you operate a vehicle in Washington, you must be prepared to show proof of your certificate of deposit to law enforcement. The information may be printed on any size document and include the following:
    • Certificate number issued by us (DOL)
    • and
    • Name of the covered driver.
    Failing to show proof of insurance is a traffic infraction. Knowingly providing false evidence of coverage is a misdemeanor.

Liability bond
    The bond must be for at least $60,000, and must be filed by a surety bond company authorized to do business in Washington.

Required proof of liability bond
    Any time you operate a vehicle in Washington, you must be prepared to show proof of your liability bond to law enforcement. The information may be printed on any size document and must include all of the following:
    • Name of the company that issued the bond.
    • Bond number.
    • Name of the covered driver.

18. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Just looked on the New Hampshire State Website:

"New Hampshire is among a small handful of states that has no mandatory car insurance laws".

19. The OP wants to drive the car in:

Washington
    Oregon
    California
    Nevada

Easiest thing to do is transfer title to someone here in the states who will join him on his adventure - that person will get agreed upon value coverage - making sure temporary drivers are allowed with international drivers license.

Insurance compliance is the primary consideration.

If the OP is a good driver experienced with our roads and the registered owner is with him in the car for the trip, should go smoothly ....

Jim

IMG_7104.JPG

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  20. Flattie

Flattie
    from Germany

Not titled in my name, only Bill of Sale and title in the Name of the seller.

21. ems customer service

ems customer service

your gonna have another issue, the bill of sale only and no title, in your name will make it much harder to insure if at all, because you can't get plates on a car you do not own or lease

22. I don't have any advise except adding the word insurance to the title might get noticed by someone who knows.

23. 270ci

270ci

Trulyvintage may have given you the best advice on what could work for you to be not only insured, but compliant with the laws. You cannot not leave the title in the sellers name, as it puts an unfair liability on them that they have no control over. If the car will end up registered and licensed in Washington, then transfer the title appropriately, within Washington's required time period.
    The fact the car is still titled to the seller, and not in your name, could be one of many reasons why you can't get it insured.

And delete your extra threads. You have several going on the same subject.

24. Flattie

Flattie
    from Germany

If i title in my Name i think i had to pay tax for the car isnt it? And could i title the car in my Name without a Residence or could i use the address of a friend?

Sorry for the extra Threads i wanna delete them if possible.
    Actual Are around ten Mails on the way to different companies , we ll See what Happens.

Trulyvintages idea is in my Brain..........

25. ems customer service

ems customer service

i spoke with michiagn title dept today, michigan will allow a person to title a car with a drivers license from outside michigan if they have some type of address in michagn,