Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 BUICK QUESTION.. TAILDRAGGER POSSIBLE?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by STUNNED MULLET, Jan 12, 2017.

1. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

I don't know about narrowing the front end.. then it would look like a long #2 pencil rollin down the road.. that's why I want to WIDEN the rear. so it doesn't look ass backwards like it kinda does right now. front fenders are too big for the rear fenders. but if they were the same size, OR if the rears were wider, that might do the trick! and you guys are gonna think im crazier than a shit house rat, but I think I want to attempt to pull off this chop myself.. never done one ever... but I will never learn if I don't try right? I am willing to pay someone just to tell me what to do if they want to help and are in or around Fresno!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

im even thinking of grabbing these 37 zephyr fenders and skirts I found and slapping them on this buick. I KNOW that those are a lot wider than the OEM buicks.. I just don't want to shell out the dough that these zephyr products carry...

3. CadMad

CadMad

4. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Thanks for the pics!!!!

5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I'd go for the Plymouth. And it's what you've wanted for a while. Why change now?

6. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Hi all, update... i went and looked at both today. 41 is in better shape metal wise.. 38 buick has roached rocker panels, and rear floor pan. Something somewhat expected for 78 years out in the elements... both 1500 dollar cars. Looking for if they repop those rockers now.. do any other makes interchange with the buicks?

34 Airflow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Yeah... i just found that site.. 400 bucks!!!! Man... they are proud of those.. i really am leaning towards this buick more now just for the fact that was earlier mentioned.. 41 plymouths are out there.. how many 38 buicks are out there thats a Kustom? Google search comes up slim pickins... and the powerplant is in already.. 41 is not... i dont know... I like the oddball builds.. think outside the box right!!!

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. CadMad

CadMad

P7030002-vi.jpg images (4)_crop_323x210.jpg I still say go the Buick. You don't need running boards. Go full fadeaways. Keep it traditional and true to the era and you will have a unique ride.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  9. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Man... where in the HELL can u find fadeaways??

10. CadMad

CadMad

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You fabricate them....

Ray

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That`s why customs are unique. They are not built with off the shelf parts that are ordered on the internet.

Okie Pete likes this.
  13. Plymouth=badass kustom "if done right"
    Buick=badass gasser "if done right"
    The Buick would need a lot of metal work and time&money to make it look right. It can be done but the Plymouth could be a competing tail dragger done right. Get the Plymouth and find a 36 Buick front clip. Fenders have the best looking lines for that style of car or of course 36 ford front end. Just my thoughts....

14. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Good Morning Guys, so far im locked.. its driving me nuts already... I want to do this buick, for the fact that I almost guarantee I wont see another one customized in Fresno, CA. and this Plymouth is on my mind, cause I HAVE seen these customized, chopped and they look badass... one of my favorites I have seen yet... its a 40 though..

Attached Files:

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A friend of mine has a '37 Pontiac Coupe, same body shell as the Buick, ALREADY CHOPPED and similar front sheet metal design. It is in about in the same general condition as the Buick you posted. The major fly in the ointment is that you are in Fresno, CA and the Pontiac is here in Illinois.

Should you be willing to consider the transportation cost as offset by the chop already being done,
    let me know and I will put you together with him. For the record, I have NO ownership or other financial interest in this car. Just 'matchmaking'.

Ray

chryslerfan55 and plymouth1952 like this.
  16. CadMad

CadMad

I'd make a decision quick or someone will beat you to it and make the decision for you. Since they are $1500 cars, perhaps buy both and then sit in the back yard under an umbrella with a couple of six packs and get to know both, till you fall love and make a pick.
    A bit like " the Bachelor".

chryslerfan55 and STUNNED MULLET like this.
  17. cmarcus

cmarcus

Here is a quick Photoshop job how I would execute...

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 9.25.52 PM.png

18. russell7088

russell7088

Well i have a 41 olds that is in process for tail dragger, ive lowered both front about 2 inches amd rear about 4. Want rear lower but will need fab work for that. Found teardrop skirts at fat jims (?)[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So I`m guessing you are disagreeing with me.

20. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Hi All, just got off the phone with the guy with the 41 Plymouth.. we made a deal I couldn't refuse.. that's the car I wanted all along, so I decided to take the plunge and pick it up. pretty decent body, small amount of rust. and all around bad ass car from the get go.. the buick was a rust bucket, and didn't want that much of a "project". 41 is missing the motor and trans, seats, and 80% of the little stainless pieces that goes to the grille. that's about it. all the beltline trim is in good shape, trunk latch is there (if I decide to use it), taillights, headlight, dash, nice steering wheel, inside garnish mouldings, glass, and running boards. I will post pics once I get it home and cleaned up a bit.. thanks for all the advice though! it was a hard one....

21. Great the Buick is a great car but that Plymouth is so right. Lots of venders and In Or we have a yard for all Mopar folks called wildcat auto wrecking in sandy Or there listed in the book everything mopar old or new.

22. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

my plan is to put a cleaned up 318 in it... 904 trans maybe.. would love to pull off a T5, but just don't know yet.. the 318 is another "hard to kill" motor... no GM though.. doesn't need to haul ass for me.. I was looking at a thread of a guy building a 4 door shoebox earlier, and his first chop... I was AMAZED!! major inspiration there... my dad always said "do it yourself, and put a notch in the belt of knowledge".. I am a firm believer in that one!

34 Airflow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. STUNNED MULLET

STUNNED MULLET
    from Fresno

Quick question... what are you guys using for front suspension and rear swaps for these plymouths? I have a lead on a 1987 dodge dakota for 300 bucks. Whats the best bang for the buck?

24. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

yes, you can build a 38 Buick taildragger.
    I`m on it right now! taildragger.jpg

25. ddc21

ddc21

Just found this thread, I picked up a '38 Buick bizcoupe a few days ago.
    The '38 w/ a '36 grill was my inspiration from the Sacramento Autorama in 2019. Took me 4 years to find a '38 worth cutting up.

Hope the progress on the '41 plymouth is coming along!

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  26. ddc21

ddc21