Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any one running straight pipes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 10, 2017.

1. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

I have mufflers, but I have side exits with block off plates. I quit putting them on long ago. I've never been bothered about them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. I have the glass packs on the Ford, exhaust out to the bumper... still loud as hell inside the car. Must be coming up thru the trunk. Can't have a conversation while driving.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

What ? Please type Louder ! No straight pipes for me, IMO only sounds good on a hard hitting race engine, anything else is just a noisy car wanna be.

4. I wanted these kicks stands to be dumps... with the option to cap em and route through glass packs.

After hearing them with my little 327, i decided the glass packs weren't necessary ;)
    (They are dying for some chrome though)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

straight through .....no boxes/baffles or anything else in the way......:)

12369148_888286781291027_8229728494393744505_n.jpg

6. CBurne7

CBurne7

Cops in Baltimore have better things to do. Ran open headers on my '63 for a couple days. Would run straight pipes, but want to play nice with the neighbors since it's so close quarters and I work on my car so late at night. Currently have 18 in Ol' Skool Cherry Bomb glass packs.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

20150919_103235.jpg I am running straight pipes on my Flathead with a set of Red's Headers. Great sound and not all that loud as some would think.

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

Yes and yes. Eight years on the sedan and about a year now on the roadster. Cops don't say a thing and I've been pulled over in both for...uh...various other reasons. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The 2-1/2" exhaust under my roadster is straight pipes - Quite loud, but not horrible. I also have 'dumps' under the cowl that I uncap quite often and it is pretty much running open headers at that point. With a built 347, it is LOUD. Thankfully, I haven't been bothered by the police here in Omaha - get a thumbs up, if anything. When people ask about the noise being a problem, I compare it to all of the loud and obnoxious Harleys running around.

10. badvolvo

badvolvo

I have been running side pipes with no inserts on a thumpy 406 for 30 years. Never got a ticket, but i have been chased down the street by a guy with a cane. That old boy was pissed. We were just leaving the local sonic, hitting about 10 mph, thumpin along, he's yelling at me and throws his cane! We got a good laugh, I am very confident he heard us leave the next intersection.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. I have Belond style headers, with just a down pipe on one side (to get below the frame) - nothing more. Will eventually build pipes to the back and cutouts to the side. I enjoy driving it like this -- Cops don't seem to care (at least so far). BUT - I'm not 18 years old and being a pain in the ass . . . makes a difference.

13. I use to laugh at this but I'm starting to believe it. :rolleyes:HRP

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    wicarnut likes this.
  14. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

in the st. louis area in the '60s, the cops were real hard-asses about loud pipes. glass packs were considered loud. i see guys in their 4x4s now running damn close to no mufflers and can't believe it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ive had cops crank a U-turn and follow me with 3" magnaflows recently, pretty sure I wouldn't make it past a cop with the headers open. I used to get pulled over and harassed with Dynomax bullets, and that was when I was in my forties, and all respectable and everything. I think gears and compression have a lot to do with it, if you are cruising at 3000 rpm, its a lot louder than 2000 rpm.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. wisdonm

wisdonm

Got a few tickets in the '60s and '70s. Nothing lately. Actually been wanting one. Would claim discrimination and arbitrary law enforcement. Would demand to see how many tickets the cop had written for Harleys recently.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha, it makes a big difference if you got your foot in it too! :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was actually behaving myself the last time! Was on the way to the local cruise night with my daughter in the car!:eek: He didn't pull me over, but he followed me for about 3 miles, turned off about 1/4 mile from the cruise night. Could be some of the other stuff that kept him following me after he turned around, it had downtubes through the back window, and MT ET Streets on the back.

Malcolm and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Oh yeah! HRP

20. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

I've run straight pipes on most of my cars, never had an issue with the police here in Austin.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  21. Seems like when I was running straight pipes in the later '60s and up that I was always looking for a ticket. The Ol' Man used to get way with it or at least I think he did, but he ran Smithy's a lot too.

On an off topic note, I have not owned a motor cycle with mufflers in at least 40 years and only had one real problem one time.

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Like somebody else said, I think the cops around here have more important things to do than harass somebody with loud exhaust. Lots of Harleys and 4X4 diesel pickups running around here with straights, they never bother them. I haven't ran straights since the last time I drove an OT pickup 15 miles with open headers to a muffler shop to get duals ran, about 20 years ago. Some engines sound good with straights, some just sound like junk.

23. Ran straight pipes on my 59AB 33 pickup. Wasn't very loud and the pO-leece left me alone but I wasnt' impressed with the sound.
    33atspeed.jpg

24. mickeyc

mickeyc

Well Petejoe, if that was your driveway you were initially
    pulling out of you won't have to worry about disturbing
    your neighbors across the road! Sounds great going tooling
    down the road.

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

Straight pipes need to have a motor build with more then stock parts to sound good. Need some compression increase and a bigger cam.
    Nothing I own has a motor to back up straight pipes anymore. Back when I had the required power to sound good, the burned out glasspacks didn't offer much noise reduction over straight pipes. I never had any problems, but my wife couldn't drive around the block without getting tagged. I don't believe she ever watched for cops, and was always looking.

I am getting old though, I've become a costumed to being able to carry on a conversation with the person riding with me, my coupe is pretty quite. Over the years, I've lost enough of my hearing to the gods of speed and the thunder of working machines., I'd kind of like to keep what little I have left. It sucks to be old before your time. Gene

26. 327Eric

327Eric

I quit getthmg pulled over for some reason when i was 32 for equipment violations. One cop had it in for me, and could have simply got tired after 5 years with no b.a.c. ,or warrants. Check your local vehicle code. There are pretty stringent rules that must a be followed for a noise violation to stick. It has been a few years now, but even with the straight pipes, what comes to mind after all those miles i drove, were that no matter how loud i cranked the AC/DC in the old Kraco, or got on it, I could still hear that damn Pete Jackson gear drive over all that ruckus.

27. 32duece51merc

32duece51merc

[​IMG]

I built these out is some basic U bends and I really like the way they sound. It's loud in the cab though! Getting ready to run some reds with a straight pipe that comes out in front of rear tire to help with some of the cab noise. Cops don't bother us too much around here... lol, being a policeman myself, I like using discretion and have never stopped anyone for loud pipes! Depends on the officer though.. I'd say take ur chances and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96, wraymen and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

image.jpg

Citizens Arrest!!! Citizens arrest!!!!

caseywheels and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I love open exhaust on cars. It must have been my upbringing at nearby Lions dragstrip where I grew up. The cars were fabulous and the noise was grand. But, the local housing authority had the last say so and complained so much that it helped shut down the dragstrip. So goes the story of its demise. But, today open headers still sounds cool to me.
    upload_2017-1-26_4-27-30.png
    1961 Lions: our 58 Impala behind the smoke staging area

I did a quick research and remember a few facts from open exhausts and mufflers. California has very stringent laws. Every state has their own set of laws, so YRMV. When I had the open exhaust cut outs on my 58 Impala, the sound was fabulous. But, they were illegal to say the least. Scavenger pipes helped with the sound while running open exhaust, but again, illegal because they are not stock. Stock classes had to run closed for eliminations. On my Harley, the stock sound level was somewhat loud, but not very stylish. When I exchanged the stock system for dual mufflers, the sound changed drastically, the performance increased, but now it was ready for CHP tickets. The CHP stopped many bikers during this time period and gave fix it tickets.

I rode in an open T Bucket with straight pipes and those pipes were loud. They even had baffles in each pipe, ok, but they were still loud. Maybe being totally out in the open had something to do with it, but it was loud. At certain rpms, the noise level calmed down and did not draw the attention of the CHP. But, straight pipes will draw the attention of our friendly CHP personnel when they feel like it.
    upload_2017-1-26_4-21-0.png
    Ford powered T-Bucket with straight through pipes including baffles in each pipe.
    upload_2017-1-26_4-21-39.png upload_2017-1-26_4-21-57.png
    stock: 92db custom: 80db They were loud, especially for the passenger.
    Here are some excerpts from the DMV:

A noise limit of 92 decibels applies to any motorcycle manufactured before 1970.
    A noise limit of 88 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1969 and before 1973; 86 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1972 and before 1975; 83 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1974 and before 1986; 80 decibels applies to motorcycles manufactured after 1985.

Motorcycles registered in the state that are manufactured on or after 2013 or have an aftermarket exhaust system manufactured on or after 2013 must have the federal EPA noise emission label affixed to it in order to be operated, used, or parked in the state.

Vehicle Exhaust Noise Level Certification

California law requires that all vehicles must be equipped with an adequate muffler to prevent excessive noise from the exhaust system. It also prohibits the operation of a passenger vehicle (other than a motorcycle), or a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of less than 6,000 pounds, that has an exhaust noise level greater than 95 decibels, when tested under specified conditions
    upload_2017-1-26_4-23-41.png
    So, as glorious as the open exhaust is to us car guys, a hint of precaution is advised. Plus, how many times have we been awakened by an idiot on a full on 1000cc street bike going through the gears on our local streets? What about those midnight+ street racers out in the boondocks blasting all over the valley, echoing the sounds? Geeezzz…

Jnaki

30. tinkirk

tinkirk

Take a look at these inserts used to use them to lower the DB on the drag car
    I've also used them on one of the boats i used to own
    sound decent
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtc-772-32520