Register now to get rid of these ads!

Arkon Dragstrip in the 50s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pp, Apr 26, 2010.

1. pp

pp

I am trying to get info on how the drag strip came about, how it got started, etc. I have old films from 1954 showing the races being held on the access road and other filma showing the races on the tarmac. I have the info on the Howland Dragstrip outside of Warren, Ohio. I started racing at Howland from the first day they opened in 1957. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.:)

Banana Man Racing likes this.
  2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Do you mean the access road in Akron by the old airport?

3. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I don't know...but this sounds cool. A general history would be that people all across the nation had seen the goings on with "speed" in California and the dry lakes and were finding their own ways to test their rigs. Drag strips were popping up all across the nation and in an effort to propmote safety, the NHRA sent out the Saftey (Drag) Safari. The first one was sent out in '54 and....well, here....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah I know there really isn't anything but history of the Safari in there, but there is a photo of the Arfons brothers and one of their "Green Monster"s. It would be killer to see one of the Monster's in action! Ever since reading "Black Tiger At Bonneville" I've sort of always had a fascination with the Green Monster's. If anything I just bumped the thread for you.:eek:

4. DARK HORSE CUSTOMS

DARK HORSE CUSTOMS

Does anyone have "safari" pics from the 1960-62 season? Also looking for their schedule of events for same dates.... can anyone help?

5. We raced there in the 63-65 seasons, here is my friend Joe's E/G Olds in 1960 enjoy the history PP! IMG_1437.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

That Green Monster in the pic is the first generation. If I recall correctly, it had only two drive wheels the first week and it was impossible to hook up so Art added the second set of wheels the next week .I was there and it was a sight to behold. The Akron Cam Jammers club ran the show. I think Otie Smith's son is around to contact. Might still have the shop in Akron