Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ross steering box identification.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt Kvamme, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Matt Kvamme

Matt Kvamme

Recently acquired a model A with a very worn Ross steering box. Anyone know if parts to rebuild it are available or what it even came from? What would be the best choice for replacing it with something else? [​IMG]http://www.jalopyjournal.com/mobile-gallery/0f21d521e059d2b9fbc6c421ca55e5f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using [url=https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=77983]The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/url]

2. tractorguy

tractorguy

Lots and lots of Ross stearing info out there......tractors....combines.....Willys Jeeps.... vintage midget race cars.....lots of parts available especially in the Willys world. Recent article in JP Magazine on rebuild tricks.

need louvers ? likes this.
  3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Are you sure it is worn out. Maybe needs grease and adjusting. If you really want to change it a reversed Corvair box will be a pretty easy swap. I'm sure someone up there will be happy to take the Ross off of your hands.

4. Matt Kvamme

Matt Kvamme

Oh I much rather keep it for sure. The pitman arm shaft has a lot of up and down movement when you turn the wheel. If it can be rebuilt I'd much rather do that.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Probably just need new bearing and races. Any bearing warehouse can probably help you with those.

6. I assembled a pair of restored '31 Chryslers with Ross boxes. Both of them felt "crunchy" and had no "center". I took them apart and the ball bearings had flat spots. Got the bearings locally for pennies each. Seems like it was a couple bucks for both boxes. The worm gear also was pitted which I took to the machine shop and had sanded out. Adjustment is critical, too tight and they won't return to center when driving.

DSC06200.JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Racing versions of this box (P&S) had an O-ring inside the bore where the shaft came out, But beond this the bore of the box output can be bored/reamed out and a sleeve or bushing installed and be as good as new, the shaft is worn it can be turned and polished and again a new sleeve installed in the box.

8. @LowKat , do you know where I could buy a steering box like you have pictured here? I have one that is a similar ross box that I need to replace... but I cant find a direct replacement anywhere.
    Thanks,
    Adam.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My old boss Bill Westbury (Concord Safety Center) would throw Ross boxes in the steel bin, replace them with Gemmer. Ball and needle bearings outweighed the old bushings in spades.
    Applications varied...

10. The ones I used were original to the cars. 1931 Chrysler Imperial 8 CG. Don't know where to source one.